MORE
Archery

2018 Archery Season

8/29/18 @ 12:08 PM
INITIAL POST
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

17 days until go time! How many people actually hunt the early September season? Where in Wisconsin are you hunting? What type of terrain? Any expectations? Introducing any youth to the great outdoors? 

I will start- I absolutely love the first 2 weeks of archery! 

I will be hunting the northern part of Juneau county!

i will be climbing very close to the hottest oak tree in the area! I usually start on a beautiful 40 acre chunk of county land! Trying to leave the private alone until the youth hunt! 

I have higher than normal expectations for this year due to the mild winters and great crop selection! The herd is in really good shape! Not quite as good as pre 2000 doe slaughter years but getting close again! I’m somewhat scared to drive on the roads at night which hasn’t scared me in almost 20 years now! Really hoping my 12 year old daughter or 9 year old nephew connects this year?

We should possibly have 5 youth hunters this year so that is going to make for a great year as long as safety is priority #1!

Im extremely excited as always and ready to go! 17 days and it’s my favorite time of year! I also wanna wish everyone else a safe, enjoyable, and memorable season ahead!

Displaying 30 to 44 of 209 posts
1/8/19 @ 4:29 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Figured as much lol.

1/8/19 @ 3:17 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

ere

Sorry. I did the "mortality rate "  in reverse. 

Due to the mild winter ( so far), the deer have s better chance to survive. 

Big Mac 

1/8/19 @ 10:26 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

big mac,  why would anyone jump all over you?  you are just pointing out the fact that the DNR is clueless and wolves aren't killing all the deer.  Like folks up north want everyone to think.  It was the hunters that killed all the deer.  

The fact they they give out 3 tags for public land in certain areas and most can't even see 3 deer just goes to show you that more intensive research needs to be done.  I would go as far to say that public lands should have to be applied for.  Many private land guys still go drive public and blaze the earth because they don't care about the resources....leaving the people that need and use public often with their pants down and below average hunting.  WI DNR needs to step up and not blanket full counties with the same stipulations. 

One piece of private in waushara can have 50 deer living on it,  down the road 10 miles,  you can barely cut a track.

1/8/19 @ 9:40 AM
ere
User since 2/22/07

How does a mild winter increase mortality rates?

1/8/19 @ 3:13 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Wow!!

I'm very surprised no one has jumped on my post. In a negative way. 

I'm just trying to fund out what others are feeling,  in BUCK only ( or very limited doe tags).

Is it time to open it up more. Or wait a few more years. 

This very mild winter is going to help increase mortality rates.

Big Mac 

1/7/19 @ 5:32 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

I hunted all day this past Saturday. I hunt in southern Clark County. 

I saw 15 deer!!! AL DOES & FAWNS!  Most within 15 yards. No bucks seen at all.

Maybe it's time to open up the antlerless tags in some areas!!!

I'm NOT trying to be a PIG !! I just want to be able to harvest a mature doe once in a while. 

Yes, I've seen bucks, and a few very nice bucks. Plenty of bucks on my trail cameras also.

I won't stop trying. Just trying to say, " maybe time to give out a few more tags"

Big Mac 

1/6/19 @ 11:05 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Did not get out for final evening. Finally deer get a rest.

1/6/19 @ 7:22 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
PRO MEMBER User since 4/5/08

Good show! Glad you kept yer eyes open...

1/6/19 @ 12:35 AM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Finally saw a keeper, but, one horn 8 point. Would have been 17" inside. And of course,  right in shooting lanes 22 yards. Have a larger one in area and is my target. One more sit tomorrow night. Maybe out early ahead of storm. I was lucky enough to take a nice 11, during gun season. I'm fairly selective as that was only my second buck in 13 years of gun and bow hunting. 

1/4/19 @ 8:05 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool

Well, as for me, I was so happy to be "allowed" to harvest a doe, finally, I did it wrong. The timing was right and I got a big doe, the day before the gun opener. I still have buck tag but, it looks like it will gather dust for this year. I (we) have venison in the freezer and, made our own venison burgers for the first time ever. So, we are happy!!! I might give it a shot...today or Saturday...dunno. Good luck to you.

1/3/19 @ 6:00 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Thanks. Open eyes, saw 11 does and fawns this evening. Almost all in shooting range. I know nice bucks are around,  but just hanging back til a bit too late. One or two sits left for me.

1/3/19 @ 3:45 PM
phishin phool
phishin phool

waltereye sr., well, Sir, good luck and keep yer eyes open.

1/3/19 @ 9:47 AM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

No Sir, central part of state. Only doe and two fawns this morning. 

1/2/19 @ 10:29 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool

waltereye sr., you hunting up around Lando???

1/2/19 @ 9:16 AM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Ten does and fawns this morning. Nice morning with light snow and no wind for a change

Displaying 30 to 44 of 209 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE