MORE
Archery

2018 Archery Season

8/29/18 @ 12:08 PM
INITIAL POST
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

17 days until go time! How many people actually hunt the early September season? Where in Wisconsin are you hunting? What type of terrain? Any expectations? Introducing any youth to the great outdoors? 

I will start- I absolutely love the first 2 weeks of archery! 

I will be hunting the northern part of Juneau county!

i will be climbing very close to the hottest oak tree in the area! I usually start on a beautiful 40 acre chunk of county land! Trying to leave the private alone until the youth hunt! 

I have higher than normal expectations for this year due to the mild winters and great crop selection! The herd is in really good shape! Not quite as good as pre 2000 doe slaughter years but getting close again! I’m somewhat scared to drive on the roads at night which hasn’t scared me in almost 20 years now! Really hoping my 12 year old daughter or 9 year old nephew connects this year?

We should possibly have 5 youth hunters this year so that is going to make for a great year as long as safety is priority #1!

Im extremely excited as always and ready to go! 17 days and it’s my favorite time of year! I also wanna wish everyone else a safe, enjoyable, and memorable season ahead!

Displaying 76 to 90 of 209 posts
11/6/18 @ 3:45 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

Nice deer, gentlemen!  lookin' - you sending in a tooth on that guy?  He looks like he could vote today!

11/6/18 @ 3:32 PM
lookn
lookn' 4 PnY
User since 7/15/05
Great bucks gentlemen.  Took this old warrior at 10:00 on Saturday morning.
11/6/18 @ 2:41 PM
Hardcore-Wisconsin
Hardcore-Wisconsin
User since 8/10/10

Got this guy on Friday day before my birthday. Got in the stand at 2:40 and he came by checking scrapes and shot him at 2:44. Any later to the stand and he would have seen me.

11/6/18 @ 1:23 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Nice second buck.... does your wife get to hunt now?

11/5/18 @ 10:32 AM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

Took a 10 pointer (13 on the redneck scale) Saturday evening. He came in following two other smaller bucks which I thought was kind of weird...they weren't chasing, just walking through munching on the kale.

Had to release my first draw because he never turned enough for a shot. Luckily was able to re-draw 30 seconds later and get a good shot.

11/3/18 @ 9:54 PM
bowtech1981
User since 10/29/11
Saw 1 spike at 230 had a large racked buck chasing a doe right before dark along thicket...
11/3/18 @ 7:35 PM
Alum 16.5
User since 3/24/10

Junkie congratulations dam nice one ! Well after hunting 8 out of the last ten days with 3 all day's seen a few small 1.5 olds cashin and one mabe 2.5, 8 pt yesterday that u could not get shot might take tommorow off then back to work !  Good luck all  

11/3/18 @ 7:31 PM
C-Junkie22
C-Junkie22
User since 11/16/10
Been hunting a lot more public the last few years.  It is so much fun and there is tons of land in Wisconsin.  We have taken some nice bucks but finally connected with one of the giants we have been after.  6 or 7yrs old. 2 miles back. Lots of budweiser.  Congratulations to my dad on his biggest deer.
11/2/18 @ 10:31 PM
Lickey
Lickey
User since 8/29/12

My dad and I doubled up yesterday morning with two 4 year old bucks. Both were cruising and came into grunt calls. Iowa county.

11/2/18 @ 10:01 PM
stoych
User since 2/20/08

Used the bleat can to get him to 20 yards tonight. Problem was he was 10 yards past the property line.  It so much better knowing he’s still alive rather than becoming the coyotes dinner. 

Point being.... The Rut is ON..

11/2/18 @ 9:25 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

No I understand.. very valid points.. just the fact that the deer literally meant nothing to them but meant a lot to us was frustrating.. for all we know we may have never found it...if I was in there shoes I would have shot it and just said come get your deer I made sure it was dead lol.. but oh well lessons were learned that day..... back on topic I was expecting to see this thread blow up today!! Someone had to have killed something today

11/1/18 @ 11:05 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

If they shot it again,  its legally their deer. Who knows how far it may have gone then? Sucks for your buddy, but they did nothing wrong as long as they tagged it. 

And yes many people can judge a deers score on the hoof, big difference between 120 and 140

11/1/18 @ 8:58 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

I feel for u western I have never had similar problem but a few years back my buddy shot his personal best 10pt we tracked it to private where we met 2 hunters.. they said" u guys looking for a buck" we said yes.. they said" we got it, pretty little we think maybe 120 bbut it ran on the land hurt so we finished it off" we don't shoot anything under 140..lol like u can judge on the hoof.. then they said have a nice day.. it's one thing to stress your buck management but my buddy was overly  upset... closest I have ever been to a bad situation while hunting

11/1/18 @ 7:10 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13

Western Extreme.  Good of you to post on a public forum that you plan to retaliate against someone for doing no wrong.  Better be careful.  You could get yourself into trouble.  Make a better stand location choice next time.  You did it to yourself.

11/1/18 @ 5:16 PM
earlyretirement
earlyretirement
User since 3/2/13

congrats dozer... unique brow tines. 

Displaying 76 to 90 of 209 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE