MORE
Fly Fishing

Carp on the fly

5/18/04 @ 10:35 AM
INITIAL POST
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
This used to be on here, with the new format, it must have been lost. Has anyone else been doing this? Carp are great fun on the flyrod and with the fact that they are so widespread, there almost has to be a good population close to home. When you hook one, it's like hooking a truck, you'll see you backing just about everytime

Displaying 46 to 60 of 162 posts
5/24/10 @ 8:54 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Depending on where you are fishing them they are usually available whenever the water is open. They tend to be the easiest to target (especially in the GL's) in the warmer months of July and August..
5/23/10 @ 9:04 AM
studentoffish
User since 3/14/08
Hey guys I've never fished carp before but it sounds like a blast. I want to give this a try, but I am curious....do the carp bite during their spawn or should I wait till mid June to give it a shot?

4/3/10 @ 11:10 AM
Coulee_region_adventures
Coulee_region_adventures
User since 3/18/10
thanks dave, this thread didn't come up in a global search. I'd be interested in seeing what recent techniques are popular ><)))*>

4/3/10 @ 10:15 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
ttt

6/30/09 @ 5:22 PM
Liv4adrenilin
User since 12/28/08
I fish the Milwaukee river in west bend and barton for smallies usually. I see a lot of carp sunning themselves but can never get them to bite. Its like they never even notice my fly! Do i need a different type of fly or what?

6/27/09 @ 8:29 PM
waterpig
User since 4/29/03
I use a lot of wooleybuggers and always seem to do alright but where I normally fish for them they are extremely stacked up so anything would probably work a little bit.

6/26/09 @ 10:32 AM
collinfishes.
User since 6/2/09
flies work good Wink

6/26/09 @ 9:54 AM
troutflyer13
User since 6/1/09
What do you use to catch carp on a fly

6/24/09 @ 7:14 PM
here
User since 2/13/02
got some nice bluegills introducing a new friend to flyfishing in a creek in DeKalb. he was super excited to try it out and hooked a nice 4 lb cat but lost it right at the bank! 4 lb fluoro tippet. I played my first carp on that little 3 wt (7 fter from cabelas a few years back) Man do they move like a tank! Fishing was great. Peace to all, goodwill to men (and women) and TIGHT LINEZEN!

6/12/09 @ 1:02 AM
here
User since 2/13/02
Makes sense to me Clay. Conditioning is as conditioning does. Have been digging the carp scene big time since last year when the sportscore flooded and carp to 20+ lbs roamed the 'flats' of the ball diamonds and the soccer fields. Easy to see just how far the fish run when you are standing at the goal and the fish runs into the far 'net'. Who said flyfishing is not a sport. If you'd like to flyfish around rockford/Dekalb/Chicago let me know. Peace. Mario

6/10/09 @ 11:30 AM
Clay34
User since 3/22/08
I've caught some of those skinny fish while fishing for carp too. Damn rough fish won't leave my pristine carp flies alone. I remember the first time I went to Canada and asked about pike fishing. Two guys looked at me like I was asking about carp. Rough fishing is all between your ears. Glad that you have been having some fun Here.

6/6/09 @ 1:35 AM
here
User since 2/13/02
a thinner carp, lol. caught while carping and crappie-ing on the fly in sportscore ponds on a #6 black wooly and no shock tippet.

5/30/09 @ 12:56 PM
here
User since 2/13/02
one from last week, around 25

5/30/09 @ 1:17 AM
here
User since 2/13/02
been getting carp up to abut 25" at the sportscore on flies. Today, one more, about 21" and very fat as you can see, fishing with my uncle in the aftnoon for 3.5 hrs or so. Took a size 12 flashback scud in off-orange. strong fish but subdued pretty quickly (5010 mn) on the 5/6 wt. Blessings to all. gorgeous day to be out. Special benedictions to all the graduates! Maz Wink

5/6/09 @ 2:15 PM
Clay34
User since 3/22/08
Tried to add photo, didn't work first time or trying to edit, one more shot at adding this photo

Displaying 46 to 60 of 162 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE