MORE
Fly Fishing

Carp on the fly

5/18/04 @ 10:35 AM
INITIAL POST
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
This used to be on here, with the new format, it must have been lost. Has anyone else been doing this? Carp are great fun on the flyrod and with the fact that they are so widespread, there almost has to be a good population close to home. When you hook one, it's like hooking a truck, you'll see you backing just about everytime

Displaying 16 to 30 of 162 posts
6/16/12 @ 8:53 PM
jroosevelt
User since 5/22/06
Hi. I got my first carp on my fly rod last year and want to try some more. I've read about flats near Sturgeon Bay and in Green Bay that are good for wading and fishing carp. Are there any similar places closer to Milwaukee/Port Washington/Sheboygan on Lake Michigan that would be wadeable areas for carp? Thank you.
3/24/12 @ 5:05 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
TTT
11/26/11 @ 9:17 AM
Lakecountryflyfisherman
Lakecountryflyfisherman
User since 11/2/10
I love carp and fly fishing, I love fly fishing for carp.

Carp on the fly photo by Lakecountryflyfisherman
8/22/11 @ 9:08 PM
hookup25
User since 8/26/10
Caught two carp tonight on a krystal buggar that i got from the orvis store in milwaukee. Big Smile

7/22/11 @ 3:47 PM
Lv'm & Lv'm
User since 5/13/11
They're all young. Tounge Out

7/22/11 @ 12:40 PM
D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
User since 10/10/09
Lv'm & Lv'm,, Its not nice to talk about your old girlfriends. Puke

7/22/11 @ 11:50 AM
Lv'm & Lv'm
User since 5/13/11
Became familiar with the smell because I had to live in FDL for a year.

7/22/11 @ 10:10 AM
Coulee_region_adventures
Coulee_region_adventures
User since 3/18/10
Roughin it aint as easy as it sounds.

7/22/11 @ 9:05 AM
D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
User since 10/10/09
I tried last night and it seems the carp have moved to the main lake. I think i'll try a different lake and spot fish .The water in the channel is obscenely warm and they would come out of the water like a fish boil.

7/21/11 @ 8:03 AM
D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
User since 10/10/09
Lv'm & Lv'm Only you would know what an old tuna smells like

7/20/11 @ 9:30 PM
Lv'm & Lv'm
User since 5/13/11
Add scent, it works! I use crayfish scent and it's strong order is makes a difference. Kind off like the smell of a big old tuna.

7/20/11 @ 8:50 PM
Coulee_region_adventures
Coulee_region_adventures
User since 3/18/10
san juan worms usually work for me. I've been doing well sight fishing them. Drop the worm above the fish and slowly work it in. Too much surface action scares the fish.

I also have some flies from Jean Paul's Roughfisher website that Ive caught carp on, I'm not sure the name of the flies but they are so ugly they have a face that only a mother or carp love. The key is NOT TO DISTURB the fish. Very tenacious this time of year. One misplaced cast and your carp are on the run.

7/20/11 @ 8:26 PM
D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
User since 10/10/09
Anyone been having any luck lately and care to tell how the heck?

6/20/11 @ 10:17 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Would a boca grip (or similar knock-off) work with their mouth?

Boga grip works just fine....

6/20/11 @ 6:11 PM
Flytrap
User since 1/29/08
I can't recall ever taking more than five minutes to land a carp, some topping 20#s, but then I don't coddle the fish or my equipment. Land them? I use a forceps to release them in the water, if I have to I'll drag them onto the bank by gripping the fly with the forceps.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 162 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE