MORE
Fly Fishing

Carp on the fly

5/18/04 @ 10:35 AM
INITIAL POST
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
This used to be on here, with the new format, it must have been lost. Has anyone else been doing this? Carp are great fun on the flyrod and with the fact that they are so widespread, there almost has to be a good population close to home. When you hook one, it's like hooking a truck, you'll see you backing just about everytime

Displaying 31 to 45 of 162 posts
6/20/11 @ 9:35 AM
D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
User since 10/10/09
Could you carp fly fish on Winnebago . Don't you need it super calm?

6/19/11 @ 3:31 PM
studentoffish
User since 3/14/08
Can't believe this thread has been dead for nine whole months. I went out the other day about 3 minutes from my house near Bay Beach in Green Bay and tied into my first carp on the flyrod. It was a blast. I had one break me off right away then tied into another one in a fight of about 15 minutes, finally beaching it. He was around 12-15 lbs I would guess, never had a fish take me into my backing before...pretty cool. Had another on and had him feet from shore only to spit the hook.

My question is...does anyone have away of landing these things other than carting a landing net along with you? Would a boca grip (or similar knock-off) work with their mouth? I hate the idea of bringin a net along but landing them without one is not easy.

9/16/10 @ 11:05 PM
canine_trapper
User since 8/26/06
I've caught numerous carp and large channel cats on a fly rod from shore in Wis. Rapids and also in Stevens Point along the Wisc. River.

I'm sure my tactics work in other areas as well, just go to a park where people frequently feed ducks bread. I chum some pieces of bread in the water and then wait for the fish to start feeding on the surface. Here is where I cheat as I use a regular hook for carp and put a piece of bread on it and lob it in the area of the feeding fish, but a large white fluffy yarn fly should also work. Wait for a fish to take your bait and then hang on once you set the hook.

I have a 5wt rod and my 8 year old daughter and I can usually catch half a dozen fish or so in an area before we have to move. Occasionally you'll have to re-chum to keep the feeding frenzy going. Just be sure to keep the ducks scared away from your bait so you don't get one of them.

9/14/10 @ 7:27 PM
b-nob
User since 2/27/09
if they are sucking on the surface i use white yarn with black foam. Tight to damns olive woolies, also if you run in to buffaloes they love white buggers. Carp onthe fly is never easy but a good way to have fun. also in the spring tie up some san juan worms and hit a creek full of suckers spawning its a blast

8/29/10 @ 10:29 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
catalale..

I can probably put you on some an hour North up in Door County. It is getting late in the year for Great Lakes Carp, but if the water id warm they are probably still hanging around. I would check the lake shore, look for warmer shallow bays, especially when the wind is out of the South East and Sunny.

8/29/10 @ 1:09 PM
catalale
User since 9/22/09
Anyone know where a good place to get some carp near Algoma on a fly rod

8/20/10 @ 9:31 AM
waterpig
User since 4/29/03
I have caught a ton of Carp in Eastebrook park in Milwaukee. Though most were unintentional while going after steelhead or salmon.

8/19/10 @ 3:16 PM
staticz20
User since 11/2/06
I am interested in trying for some of these golden pigs. Are there any parks on Lake Michigan in the Milwaukee area anyone recommends? Any point in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

5/25/10 @ 1:30 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
I posted a couple crayfish patterns below. I also use a good number of modified (colors mostly) Bonefish flies. I like them because you can fish the bottom and most ride hook point up.

Attached is a go to fly for me, very simple cross between a nymph and a bugger. Bead head marabou tail, marabou wrapped up the hook and the combed in the thorax to make it fuzzy. It is tied on a size 8 5263 TMC hook. I have caught hundreds of crap in Door County on this fly.

5/25/10 @ 9:46 AM
Rutsch
User since 5/24/10
What flies do you use for carp?

5/25/10 @ 9:34 AM
Flytrap
User since 1/29/08
Coming from 'pig that's high praise indeed. Come to think of it, any praise coming from 'pig comes as a surprise! Speechless

5/24/10 @ 10:42 PM
goh
User since 3/15/03
flytrap, waterpig says you are the master on carp on the fly. If I get the chance between trout and muskie fishing, I will have to try this carp on the fly thing with you sometime!

5/24/10 @ 9:55 PM
Flytrap
User since 1/29/08
Busted a half doxcen or so on the long rod yesterday afternoon. Frankly, in that heat, that was enough.

5/24/10 @ 11:12 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
More than once is even more fun.. Smile

5/24/10 @ 11:00 AM
Rutsch
User since 5/24/10
I've seen some videos on youtube, it looks pretty intense. With all the carp in my area I'd like to fight one on a flyrod once.

Displaying 31 to 45 of 162 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE