MORE
Fly Fishing

Carp on the fly

5/18/04 @ 10:35 AM
INITIAL POST
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
This used to be on here, with the new format, it must have been lost. Has anyone else been doing this? Carp are great fun on the flyrod and with the fact that they are so widespread, there almost has to be a good population close to home. When you hook one, it's like hooking a truck, you'll see you backing just about everytime

Displaying 76 to 90 of 162 posts
8/6/08 @ 11:53 PM
Clay34
User since 3/22/08
While I chased brookies and browns this past weekend, carp are my favorite targeted species. Carp Angler's group has a nice forum where many serious carp fly fisherman hang out if you want to Google CAG. I was out twice last week and then again today just for carp. The net has an overal length of 30". Hope you enjoy the shot.

Rick

6/21/08 @ 8:47 AM
waterpig
User since 4/29/03
I know this has been asked before but with new people coming on here ...what is everyones favorite carp fly? Any pics would be great...with the high water by me right now...carp are spawning in my neighbors yard. looking to catch a few on my 6 or 8 wt.

6/20/08 @ 11:31 AM
83dive
User since 3/28/08
Caught my first one in Madison, on Wingra. Went bluegill fishing with my brother, and while walking along I saw this guy making a mess of the bottom, so I tied on a Golden ribbed hare's ear and a few casts later, he sucked it in and off he went. It was about 26" long, not bad for my first try...
3/22/08 @ 4:19 PM
carpmanjake
User since 3/21/08
TRUE dat esox!

i always have people that stop their cars on the side of the road and watch me fish a little litterally a crap pond (litterally!years ago the city sewer was dumped in that lake for years) and they stop and ask me what i got. i say carp. and they come out and look. and man do i get a kick out of their faces when i pull up a 10+ pound carp on the fly rod right in their face. LOL its hillarious. and beleive it or not. i am the only person that regularly fishes that lake. in fact im one of the only people who ever fish that lake now! LOL

3/22/08 @ 2:52 PM
Esox178
User since 10/25/02
Funny thing..last weekend, I was out carp fishing with a buddy. Guy pulls up with a fancy hat, and looks at us stringing our rods up. " "Steelhead already?" he asks. "Nope", I say. "Oh the browns then?" "Nope" "Then what," He asks curiously. "Carp!" I say with a huge grin. "What For?!" "Carp on a fly rod? Are you kidding? I need to get My arm in shape for Steelhead!"

He kind of rolls his eyes and scoffs and drives off. As I was fighting a nice one later on and My reel was screaming, I looked to my partner and said saracastically "Yea, Why carp?"

He was a nice guy, but boy do I catch hell from my fishing buddies out east and west when I say it's carp time. I'll take a 10-20lb carp any day of the week.

3/22/08 @ 1:01 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
Carp are the only fish that consistantly take me into my backing.

Me too. Never had a salmon or a musky do it. a few steelhead have from the breakwall when they decide they are going to sea but thats about it.

3/22/08 @ 9:20 AM
Esox178
User since 10/25/02
Carp are the only fish that consistantly take me into my backing.

3/21/08 @ 9:56 PM
Flytrap
User since 1/29/08
I've taken maybe three or for buffalo on crappie patterns. I can't remember how many carp I've caught, only two took me into the backing, which is two more than any other type of fish, including kings and muskies. But then, I put the rod to them, really bear down. Use a straight 8# mono leader, if it pops, it pops.

3/21/08 @ 6:39 PM
carpmanjake
User since 3/21/08
fun fish arent they! my absolute favorite fish to catch on the fly rod or spinning!

7/30/07 @ 11:10 AM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
go into your trout box. They eat all the same stuff. Otherwise, there are a few patterns targeting carp. Bonefish flies in natural colors can work well. I tie a woolly bugger variant that they seem to really like. My carp box is out in the car but I'll take a pic later and post it. See what they're eating and use that. They could be looking for anything from crayfish in the rocks to midges on top. Bonefish type flies in natural colors can be really good too. The attached pic is of a clouser swimming nymph. This fly should be in your box!

7/30/07 @ 9:58 AM
bluegill buddy
User since 1/2/07
dose anyone have a fly pattern that works for carp on the fly sounds interesting

6/11/07 @ 7:18 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
You need to feed them to these.. Big Smile

6/11/07 @ 4:00 PM
wishwasonwater
User since 11/2/05
tstoeger your fish is very small. Try harder. White Bass. Smile Sad Big Smile They are going nuts on the river!

5/13/07 @ 10:29 AM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
Got my first fly rod carp of the year last night. Testing out some new flies I came up with for them. I tied a bunny bugger variant here that is a winner!

4/5/07 @ 7:56 AM
Wang Chung
User since 6/19/01
you can probably try a weighter san juan redworm or any small worm immitations. HAven't tried it myself. But a guy at work mentioned to use small hooks on a piece of crawler. So I would think a small worm immitation would work.

Displaying 76 to 90 of 162 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE