DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Whitefish Lake, Ontario, Canada

6/18/01 @ 12:36 PM
Stitzo
User since 6/15/01
BEARHUNTER-I dont't see you in the Messenger drop down list. Hope you're not having trouble logging in.

Anyway, My Dad called Sunday morning. They didn't get perching on Saturday, but got an 18" & 29" eye before dark. The 18 went toward the Man Food supply & Dad's partner put back the 29 for you to play with. Said both fish fought like pike.

They fished east of the west end island. No action on cranks. Drifted & cast into the wind with 1/8th & 1/4 oz jigs with white 2" & 3" twister tails tipped with leeches. I guess the 29 came on a split/double tail body.

I'll post a soon as I hear more.

Displaying 76 to 90 of 286 posts
8/11/15 @ 8:04 AM
jonboy757
User since 4/28/02
Hey all, Heading up to Whitefish on Wednesday morning through Sunday. Anyone been up recently or have any tips for fishing whitefish? Feel free to post or PM me! Good luck and tight lines!
8/7/15 @ 7:13 PM
peanut09
User since 1/17/10
just wondering if anyone has been up there recently? If so have you caught any fish? We are heading up the end of august and was wondering if the bite was on or off. Thanks for any info.
6/14/15 @ 10:44 AM
Mossy Horns
Mossy Horns
User since 6/15/01
I just returned home after 6 days of fishing on Whitefish Lake. The weather was nice all week. Water temps in the mid 60"s. Winds manageable. This was my first time back in about 15 years. Went up with my son, father and uncle. Our goal was to relax all week with a no pressure vacation outlook. We targeted perch and walleye equally everyday. Fishing style for perch was fishing strait down with hook and sinker tipped with leaches and crawlers and slip bobbers with same bait types. We found fish everyday. Most were small around 6-7 inches. We averaged about 60-70 fish a day. At the end of the week we kept 55 fish over 9 inches with zero perch meals. Our walleye fishing was slip bobber with leaches. Targeting 5-6 feet of water just outside of the weed lines. Caught between 30-40 fish all week. All fish were between 14-19 inches with one being 26 1/2. All of our fish dinners were walleye and we brought home 4 fish. We decided not to allow fishing to rule our vacation time. Slept in a few days and had a nice campfire one evening. With not being on the water all week I was very happy with amount of fish we caught. Our vacationing neighbors were awesome. Everyone was from Wisconsin. We shared stories and success everyday. Most of the guys were targeting walleye all week. Everyone did well. One of the groups caught 199 eyes for the week. They drifted the flats, casting crank baits all week. They fished from about 8am- 2pm, back in for lunch/dinner then fished 4pm-10pm. Whitefish lake has changed drastically over the years. If you go expecting to catch 100's of keeper perch, you will be extremely disappointed.
4/22/15 @ 4:09 PM
ResQ91
ResQ91
User since 4/3/05
We fished Whitefish for many years with family. Always great perch fishing with plenty of walleye mixed in. Over the last 6-7 years, the size of both have declined. We also saw an big increase in smallmouth, the MNR personnel doing a survey a few years ago told us this was not a good thing. I never remember a smallmouth being caught back then. Last few times there, following the crowd seemed to work, just work edges of the fleet. Here's a tip, look for pontoon boats.....those guys are there all summer and know where the fish are. We catch lots of fish, but ya have to pick through a lot of 6-8" perch to get some 10-12". MANY walleye the same size, 8-12". This lake used to be averaging 8-10" perch with great numbers of 12-15" thrown in. Plenty of walleye 14-18" with 20-24" common. Every year, a few 30-32" walleye were caught by our group. It has slowly declined to the point we no longer go there. I would love to return and have the good ol' days back.
4/19/15 @ 4:28 PM
Mossy Horns
Mossy Horns
User since 6/15/01
The last time we fished Whitefish lake was 15 years ago. I will be taking my son and father June 6-13th. Can anyone tell me how or if the fishing has changed? I'm hearing mixed reports. I understand most don't like posting on the fishing boards. Please private message me if that is the case. I'm looking at a relaxing week with my father and son. No pressure vacation. Just nice to have a few up to date pointers. Thanks, Mossy Horns
3/22/15 @ 9:51 PM
born to fish
User since 3/17/11
Is there anybody going to white fish around April? An if so are you going to fish, Arrow for lake trout? Should be lots of ice yet.
2/1/15 @ 7:20 AM
peanut09
User since 1/17/10
Just wondering if anyone has been ice fishing? How is it going? When is a good time to try it up there? Just trying to see if anyone has caught anything.
9/3/14 @ 9:11 AM
feesher
User since 2/28/07
Hey firefly thanks for the report, were you fishing for perch only or all species? We have a group of 6 going up in two weeks. A few of us are perch fisherman, but I will be targeting walleyes and northern. Any information on the current situation would be welcome. None of us have been to this lake in the fall. Thanks
9/1/14 @ 8:33 PM
firefly
User since 9/19/03
Slow and small. It was the poorest fishing that i've seen in 20 years. Sounds like it has been that way all summer. Hope for a better trip next year.
8/10/14 @ 10:36 AM
firefly
User since 9/19/03
Heading to Whitefish next week. Has anyone been up recently? The lake was high last year. Wondering how it is now.
6/12/14 @ 11:13 AM
Tfm9
User since 3/5/13
Thanks for the report snort. We r headin up next Saturday hope the walleyes r hittin
6/12/14 @ 8:22 AM
snortwheze
User since 12/15/06
Fished NL a couple years back and have friends who have a camp on this lake. They do well after dark fishing rock bars/sand bars for eyes. Caught my biggest eye on Northern Lights(31"). Of course we always feel the fish must be on the other side of the lake but the big girl was picked up very close to the dock jigging at sundown. We stayed at Red Pine. Casting jigs into the rocks on NL will produce bass after bass with northerns as well. Walleyes are seemed to be plentiful by the falls way to the west. Lots of folks seem to troll harnesses for eyes and we had success on the north side of the lake closer to the landing. Good luck and watch out for the rock bars. This lake has ones not marked that literally come up from 75' to nothing in the blink of an eye! Good luck! Snort
6/11/14 @ 5:46 PM
Tfm9
User since 3/5/13
Hey walleye wacker hope u had a great trip how was fishin on northern lights lake
5/30/14 @ 1:00 PM
Tfm9
User since 3/5/13
Sorry walleye I'm new to this not sure how to do that
5/29/14 @ 8:40 AM
walleye whacker
User since 4/19/07
yes,leaving tomorrow for a week, what do you want to know? turn on your messenger and i will give you info
Displaying 76 to 90 of 286 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE