DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Whitefish Lake, Ontario, Canada

6/18/01 @ 12:36 PM
Stitzo
User since 6/15/01
BEARHUNTER-I dont't see you in the Messenger drop down list. Hope you're not having trouble logging in.

Anyway, My Dad called Sunday morning. They didn't get perching on Saturday, but got an 18" & 29" eye before dark. The 18 went toward the Man Food supply & Dad's partner put back the 29 for you to play with. Said both fish fought like pike.

They fished east of the west end island. No action on cranks. Drifted & cast into the wind with 1/8th & 1/4 oz jigs with white 2" & 3" twister tails tipped with leeches. I guess the 29 came on a split/double tail body.

I'll post a soon as I hear more.

Displaying 105 to 119 of 286 posts
5/31/12 @ 11:41 PM
brbriar
brbriar
User since 6/17/05
We are at Whitefish right now. We are almost limited out on Perch . They are biting on leeeches cut in thirds or a piece of night crawler. Fish have been located onthe north side of the big island at the west end of the lake and Sucker Bay on th south end in 7-1/2 fow. Thunderbugs are starting to emerge.
5/31/12 @ 9:09 PM
jld
User since 1/21/04
We are headed up to Northern Light tomorrow. If everything goes according to plan and the walleye/lakers cooperate, we'll head over to Whitefish on Tues or Weds to try for some perch. It will be our first time in Whitefish...if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. JD
5/28/12 @ 10:14 PM
Verk
User since 2/5/09
Headed up june 9, just wondering how the bite is up there. Any info will be helpful; hot spots, technics, lure chooses.....
9/1/11 @ 6:34 AM
firefly
User since 9/19/03
Back from Whitefish. Had a great week with the family. Caught more walleye than we knew what to do with. There were a lot of smaller fish, 12", so the next couple years should be even better. Perch fishing was a little slow, but we didn't fish them very hard. Hit about a dozen nice northerns.Border crossing both ways was no problem, just do what you're supposed to do. They have to do their job.

Be back up next year Firefly

7/24/11 @ 5:52 PM
FISHING REPORT
firefly
User since 9/19/03
Ice: 0"
Going up in the end of August. Anybody been up? Wondering how the water level is? Fish????

7/24/11 @ 5:51 PM
firefly
User since 9/19/03
Going up in the end of August. Anybody been up? Wondering how the water level is? Fish????

7/24/11 @ 5:51 PM
firefly
User since 9/19/03

7/6/11 @ 2:41 PM
dmrkviking
dmrkviking
User since 5/12/08
Hey faststrike, I pm'd you.

7/6/11 @ 2:41 PM
dmrkviking
dmrkviking
User since 5/12/08
Hey faststrike, I pm'd you.

7/2/11 @ 11:25 PM
Faststrike115
User since 3/23/08
I appreciate all of the info. Got back from Whitefish 2 days ago. We caught some really nice pike on rapala's. Tried for perch many times as did others at come by chance resort without much luck. Caught some perch on leaches with a slip and crawler harnesses while fishing for walleye. Walleye fishing was active but the fish were small. Most in the 12-14 inch range. Found them in everywhere between 3 feet of water to 15 feet of water on both leaches, crawlers and rapalas. The largest walleye caught was 16 inches, which is barely a keeper in Wisconsin. The trip was fun but I really thought that we would have really hit them hard and caught some large walleye. I would not consider fishing slow but it was not great either. The folks at Come by chance resort are great people and the facilities are great. Fishing was good as I compare it to Wisconsin fishing but I have had many good days back home, even great days in comparison with Whitefish.

5/22/11 @ 5:46 PM
born to fish
User since 3/17/11
Sorry I didn't get back to you right away FS115. Working out of town 6 days a week and don't get on the computer much. Fish with leeches on a beetlespin and go up in the horseweeds in about 6 feet of water and you'll get your walleyes towards evening. You can also try a slip bobber on a straight hook with a leech or thunderbug, if you have them. The guy was talking about thunderbugs.....you can get them yourself. Go up real close to shore in the rice fields and pull the rice out and the bugs will be on the stalk. Use gloves. They have a little thorn on them that are really sharp. They work really good for perch. Minnows and leeches are a lot cheaper at Kekkabekka (sp) Fall than at Come By Chance. Take your camera. The falls are pretty. Go into town. Take a right at the first stop sign. 2 - 3 blocks on the right is a bait store/gas station. Have to sign out for now. Need to get ready to go back out of town. Have fun. Wish I was there. PS Let me know how you did. Thanks.

5/17/11 @ 8:41 AM
augie2
User since 9/28/04
Late june might be a good time to go this year, with things being a couple of weeks behind. I don't know if the thunderbugs will have crawled out by then or not, most likely they will have. If they haven't, use them. We used them for the 15 years that we went up in the middle of June and they always worked better than worms or leeches. Leeches were second best without question. There's a chance that the bugs will crawl out a few days before you get there, that always makes for slow fishing the first half of the week because the fish are already full of them and won't bite. If the perch aren't biting, the northern always are, so you would probably be further ahead to cast for them. It's a lot of fun.

One thing we found out around our 5th year going up was that the best fishing was casting along weed edges at night for walleye. Wish we had known that sooner, a half an hour either way of dusk is awesome. Year after year we nailed the walleye. We always used #7 floating rapalas, either fire tiger or perch seemed to work the best, just a mid-paced retrieve with the occasional twitch.

4/24/11 @ 11:17 PM
Faststrike115
User since 3/23/08
What have you used for perch? slips with crawlers? Going up in late June with my two son's and want to be sure that they do well. Also info on walleye would be great. Thanks in advance. FS115

4/17/11 @ 9:55 AM
born to fish
User since 3/17/11
I've been fishing this lake for over 30 years. When the Canadians owned Come By Chance you used to could go right out from the boat landing and catch all the walleyes and perch that you wanted. The water was so clear you could see the bottom. Three years ago we were there ice fishing. There were 15 of us. Still caught all the walleyes you wanted in the 17 inch size. And we did really good on perch too. If you want to catch perch in the winter around April, you go in the rice fields. That's where the perch are. They are stacked in there. And the walleyes are right up in shallow water with the perch. Also, in the summertime, if you want to catch the really big walleyes, ten pounders, fish at night. If you don't want to fish at night, fish up next to the horse weeds. Between the two islands is really good. Another good spot, if you leave Come By Chance, go straight across to the saddle (rock formation) and fish on the other side of the rice fields. Memorial weekend is a good time for perch fishing. I'll give you some good advice. When you're going into shallow water, don't go 90 miles an hour like a lot of these dummies because the perch are in the shallows and they spook real easy. You can stand up in the boat and see them. They are stacked in there by the thousands. Have fun fishing. I got a new job and can't go this year Crying Crying

4/16/11 @ 12:06 PM
TR78
User since 4/16/11
Whitefish can be a challenging lake to fish for walleyes the last few years. Rule number 1 if you want a chance at a lot of fish and big walleyes on whitefish is drift. Get yourself a drift anchor before going. Second is fish the wind, don't worry too much about time of day, but do pay attention to the wind. The walleyes on whitefish like it rolling, as long as you are safe hang with the wind and it will pay off. Mornings and evenings can be productive as well even with reduced wind. You will find few anglers out in the morning on whitefish which makes it one of my favorite times to be out. In 19 years I have never had a bad trip. Some have been better than others but none have been bad. I will say that the numbers have been declining greatly in the last couple years, but last year especially was a difficult year, I think mainly because of the crazy spring we had. If I had to give any advice I would say drift anchor, 1/8 oz jig, 3 or 4 inch twister tails, fish ahead of the boat and try to find active fish on the edges of the weeds. There isn't much traditional structure in this lake, so most likely you will be fishing in 7 to 8 ft of water on what appears to be a giant flats with interspersed weeds. And please respect the fishery, put the big ones back. The fishing pressure on this lake is significant and these big fish do not grow overnight. I know I am preaching but nothing bothers me more than to see someone filleting a 5 lb or over walleye. That only makes me think that the angler is desperate, a poor sportsman/sportswoman, trying to showoff, and/or just plain disrespectful and stupid. If you respect a fishery like whitefish it can come back to be like it was, where successive casts many times could be back to back to back 5 to 10 lb fish and 50 to 100 fish in a day was fairly common.

Displaying 105 to 119 of 286 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE