DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Whitefish Lake, Ontario, Canada

6/18/01 @ 12:36 PM
Stitzo
User since 6/15/01
BEARHUNTER-I dont't see you in the Messenger drop down list. Hope you're not having trouble logging in.

Anyway, My Dad called Sunday morning. They didn't get perching on Saturday, but got an 18" & 29" eye before dark. The 18 went toward the Man Food supply & Dad's partner put back the 29 for you to play with. Said both fish fought like pike.

They fished east of the west end island. No action on cranks. Drifted & cast into the wind with 1/8th & 1/4 oz jigs with white 2" & 3" twister tails tipped with leeches. I guess the 29 came on a split/double tail body.

I'll post a soon as I hear more.

Displaying 61 to 75 of 286 posts
9/1/16 @ 5:37 PM
Golden Stren
Golden Stren
User since 3/20/09

Hi,

I am heading for Whitefish.  Leaving Friday.  What was your best bait, and how did you present it?  Taking my 87 year old Father.  May be has last trip. Any additional information you can give me sure would help.

Keep a tight line

God Bless

Dennis

8/5/16 @ 8:51 PM
peanut09
User since 1/17/10

Well our 2016 trip is in the books. Perch were hard to find until day 4. Pretty much they were in shallow water by weeds. 4-5 ft. of water was the average. We only fished from come by chance and west. Lots of walleyes, lots of northern out there. No monsters but a few 12 inch perch. Kept them from 8-12 inchers. Our group of 4 got our limit but the group of 11 were struggling when we left this morning. We had lots of fun and the weather was pretty good. Good luck, let me hear what was going on up there.

7/23/16 @ 2:14 PM
Bluealumacraft41
Bluealumacraft41
User since 3/19/15

Much appreciated peanut!

7/22/16 @ 8:55 PM
peanut09
User since 1/17/10

I'll report when I get back. I know a crew just came back today and had good luck. I know of a crew of 11 leaving tomorrow and coming home same day we leave. They call us to let us know how it went. I also know of another crew of 11 going the same week I am. Should be interesting if there are any fish left.

7/21/16 @ 6:49 PM
Walleydreaming
Walleydreaming
User since 8/5/08

Have not fished this lake in 8 or 9 years but here is what I remember. Small white jigs with small piece of crawler was the best bait for us. Caught perch most everywhere we went. One year fishing was great and it was is easy fishing.  Went a year or two later and it was dead there. We ended up going over to Arrow Lake and cleaning house on bass.  It was non-stop action on chartreuse jigs. We also caught one 24 inch eye there. We ended up going there and unloading at Ryan's Resort I think.  

We fished West end of Whitefish on weed edges and never had much of a problem. When we were there the barometric pressure was whacky and fish were just not interested. We also fished the East dide between the island and caught many fish there one day. 

Easy lake to fisn/navigate. If bored, go to Arrow, beautiful deep/clear lake. 

Enjoy your trip. 

7/21/16 @ 3:45 PM
FISHING REPORT
Bluealumacraft41
Bluealumacraft41
User since 3/19/15

Peanut - good luck next week! Please report or private message ... Would like to know as we are heading up there August 13-19 or so. Looking for perch first walleye second.  Thanks

7/9/16 @ 5:25 AM
peanut09
User since 1/17/10

Anybody heading up to do some fishing soon? I Would like to hear from more people about this lake. Hopefully it's good news about the fish bite. If not I'll post when I get back about august 8th.

6/24/16 @ 6:06 AM
peanut09
User since 1/17/10

Thanks for your input and comments sniper. No I didn't get there yet. Leaving the 30th of july. Glad to finally hear from someone about this lake. This will be our third trip in the summer and hope for a descent perch bite. We go the same week in the summer and walleye never disappoint us. We usually fish 8 or 10 ft of water early in the morning 2 hours and just before dark a hour or two. Have not caught anything bigger than 26 inch. During the day we perch fish. Perch fishing is alright but size is down and a lot harder to get a limit. Usually always nice weather and nice to be on vacation, but I think this will be our last trip for awhile. I think you are right about getting fished hard and the cormorants. I never got to go when it was really good fishing years ago, wish I did. I think it needs a time for regrowth. We  never tried for northern but would like to. Hope to hear from more people about this lake. Thanks, good luck to all fishermen and women.

6/23/16 @ 7:44 AM
sniper
User since 10/17/01

Well Peanut, did you make it up there yet? I was on Whitefish and some of the surrounding lakes this past week. I'll be interested to see how you guys do. We have a group that's been fishing the lake for the past 25 years or so. We've always fished walleyes, but remember the years of the huge perch armadas. We used to catch a fair number of incidental perch throwing crankbaits, but that hasn't happened recently. We did catch a few, but they were on the small side. We did talk to a few guys who said they did "ok" on perch earlier, but the size wasn't that great. The lake has obviously changed and probably for a lot of reasons. It did get pounded by a lot of greedy fisherman. The huge flocks of cormorants and the increasing numbers of northerns obviously doesn't help. There's also the talk of a significant winter kill during that nasty one a few years ago. Our walleye success has changed as well. I know a person tends to remember the good days, but years ago it wasn't uncommon for us to have 100 plus walleyes per boat. We also had quite a few upper 20's mixed in each year (all released). This year our good days were 20 plus fish per boat and fewer big ones. The average size was nice (17-21 inches), but very few smaller ones as well. That's a little scary too. We've always logged our number of fish over 24 inches and this was one of our worst years. We didn't have the most stable weather, but the consensus in our group is that there just isn't the number of fish there used to be (perch and walleyes). The lake is very fertile, so hopefully it can bounce back.

6/15/16 @ 6:39 AM
peanut09
User since 1/17/10

Is there anyone fishing this lake? Wondering how the perch bite is. We are coming up this summer and wondering if there are any fish left or the birds got them all. Any news would be great. Thanks

5/14/16 @ 6:28 AM
peanut09
User since 1/17/10

How do things look up there for perch? anyone been out yet?  Anyone do any ice fishing? Pretty quite on the posts for this lake, whats up?

4/4/16 @ 5:46 AM
peanut09
User since 1/17/10
I was wondering how the winter ice fishing went? Any perch caught? Were there a few people even out there this winter? Just curious if anyone has a update. Thanks
3/19/16 @ 1:42 PM
walleye whacker
User since 4/19/07
Heard there was a big walleye killoff last year, does anyone know about this? How should the fishing be this year
8/21/15 @ 8:19 AM
1957born
User since 8/12/12
Just got back from Whitefish Lake-In my opinion, the perch fishery is really in trouble-Just a few years ago, you could catch hundreds, but I believe the CORMORANTS are slowly wiping out the perch-There must be 500 cormorants on the island in front of Rocky's Resort-By doing the math, they are eating at least 250,000 perch per year-We only caught 50 perch the last 2 years, compared to 400+ in 2013-You can still get some nice walleyes, but lake is super weedy this year so your work is cut out for you-I was very surprised at the extremely light fishing pressure this year-We watched most boats catch next to nothing, which explains why almost no local boats were even out-It is very sad to see this lake dying off-If the cormorants are not taken out, this lake is done-I will not be returning...... Sad
8/16/15 @ 6:13 AM
peanut09
User since 1/17/10
Good luck jon boy. I have heard they are catching some perch up there. Small but good eaters. The walleye are just starting to bite again also. Hopefully it will be good when I get there at the end of the month. Any reports would be great. Thanks
Displaying 61 to 75 of 286 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE