SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

WABASKANG LAKE PERRAULT FALLS, ONTARIO

6/9/02 @ 9:34 PM
INITIAL POST
SIX PACK
User since 2/10/02
FISHED FIRST WEEK OF JUNE BEST FISHING IN ALL THE YEARS WE WENT. WALLEYES WERE IN 2 TO 8 FEET OF WATER 1/8 OZ. WHITE JIGS WORKED BEST. WALLEYES FROM 12 TO 27 INCHES BUT ONLY 1 OVER 18 INCHES ADAY MAY BE KEPT. LAKE TROUT WERE ACTIVE BEST WAS A 12 POUNDER. GOOD LUCK SIXPACK

Displaying 106 to 120 of 1,100 posts
6/11/15 @ 11:04 PM
Jhwk
User since 3/9/15
Czar. There is one cabin right by the dock the rest are up a hill. There is a fairly steep direct walking path from the docks to the cabins or you can go around on a gentler sloap. None are so far away That it is problematic unless maybe you are carrying a lot of gear every time. You can drive down to the dock if needed. The cabins are all fairly close once up the hill. I did not make a mental note of the cabin numbers and did not stay in #1 so cannot help with the location but all cabins looked nice. Bing maps has a good pic of the area you can probably visualize the layout.
6/11/15 @ 7:31 PM
vexman65
User since 3/6/10
Have any of you guys tried fishing or caught a lot of whitefish while fishing on wabby. Thx
6/11/15 @ 5:07 PM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
Last time I fished Wabaskang was 20 years ago. We alaways fished it the end of August and never thought fishing was that great. Lots of northerns and a lot of walleyes up to 18 inches but not a lot bigger. I always took a few afternoons off to go out and pick blueberries in some of the local clear cuts and would always bring home a couple coolers full. Wabaskang was the first lake I ever fished in Canada and it would be neat to go back. So I was wondering if fishing has gotten much better with the slot sizes and the lowering of the bag limits since the last time I fished it.
6/11/15 @ 3:22 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Early in the year, like until the end of this week, you should get some right below the falls on Mean Lake. That would be the river that eventually gets you to Wine Lake. Earlier in the year, I'm told you can get a fish or two above the falls. Outside of that? If we want a laker, we run the river into Wine lake and troll. When you find deep water and a lot of hooks, then you can vertical jig some baits at them. Years ago dad and I went into McLeod Bay looking for lakers. Got zip. But to be fair, we really had no clue how to get them at that time. I graphed out the big lake by Peffleys, found the 80 foot hole. Saw a few hooks down deep, but nothing too big and nothing concentrated enough for me to vertical jig them. That hole is out near Doe Island, east side, middle of the island. Out quite a ways, maybe 500 yards. The regular map shows that deep water quite well. Pretty easy to find. Last week I did hear that someone got a 29 inch laker below the falls and out in Wine Lake, a guy got a 38 inch laker. Wish I would have seen that big one. Most of what I've gotten has been 20-25 inches.
6/11/15 @ 3:20 PM
Bullman
User since 4/10/15
Lakers are normally targeted the first few weeks and then the last two weeks. Most boats go over the falls to Wine Lake when they want to target lakers. That would be a long run if you were not staying on the North end(Peffleys). I do not have any experience with the South side of the lake. Maybe there is some deep cold water that will hold them?
6/11/15 @ 1:59 PM
vexman65
User since 3/6/10
Where do guys fish lake trout on the lake ?
6/11/15 @ 8:33 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Me and my family stayed at Kingfisher 5 or 6 times, all the way back when it was Keystone. We ended up at Peffleys for a very specific reason.... On the first trip up there, when I was 18, my dad and his friend took a boat up to Gawley's Bay. At that time, it was about an hour to an hour and a half boat rip up there for them in camp boats. And when they got up there? Motor clunked out. So, someone from Lundy's Camp (now Peffleys) picked them up and took them to Lundy's, where Jerry let them use the phone to call Keystone (Kingfisher). The helper, Terry, was part Indian and a great fisherman. Well, he ran up and got them in a little larger boat. And he felt bad that the motor died on them, so he fished them back to camp. He showed them a lot of spots and they caught a lot of fish. And those fish were considerably larger than anything we were getting in the lower end of the lake. And he fished Mean Lake and the Big Lake. Not anything closer to camp than that. When asked why, he said "Fish are better up here." Nuff said in our book. So for years, we ran that long distance up to Mean Lake and the Big Lake. Always had to pack a lunch. Always had to have toilet paper in the boat (very important). Then we realized that we should just stay at Lundy's camp and be within 10 minutes of our spots. So that is why we moved camps. We look over at Kingfisher now, as well as Tall Pines and the other resorts and marvel at how gorgeous the cabins are. But at the end of the day, we are within 5-10 minutes of our favorite spots, with larger fish, and far less pressure than the lower part of the lake. I've done the first narrows thing, and that is not what I go to Canada for. Around by Peffley's, every point has fish, there are lots of unmarked rock bars and certain ones will light up at night. No need to fish by another boat unless you really want to. Everyone goes to Canada looking for the experience that best fits them. Having a really nice cabin is not what we look for. We are hardly in the cabin. We want to fish and we want the secluded experience. About the fish? In the past, it was easily 100 fish days for me. Probably could have done it this past trip if we would have gone to community hot spots at night, like the Hotel. But we wanted larger fish and we found larger fish. In the next few weeks, when weeds come up, I would imagine that the fishing will get even better.
6/11/15 @ 7:27 AM
czar312
User since 8/19/14
jhwk Which cabin did you stay in? We are in #1...trying to get a feel for layout of the camp. Is #1 straight up from the dock? Any other good spots than the 1st narrows? Thanks to all for the reports!
6/11/15 @ 12:37 AM
Jhwk
User since 3/9/15
Sleepy dog has the nicest boats and cabins on Wabaskang. stayed there last week. The narrows to closest to Sleepy dog holds lots of walleye. Fish near white bouy. particulary at night but crowded. YoI will also find walleye at all points beyond the narrows. no problem catching walleye in the evening. Gawleys bay will not hold lake trout but May be good for Pike. No weed growth last week. That will be changing rapidly.
6/10/15 @ 8:06 PM
vexman65
User since 3/6/10
Gawleys bay hold lake trout? Thx
6/10/15 @ 6:02 PM
eldril
User since 5/28/09
vegas492 Ruby lake is a long way from Peffleys. I've never stayed there but I do hear nice things about them. I've also never fished that far up because the fishing has always been so good by Kingfisher. When Peffleys picks you up you will be right next to Kingfisher resort and you will pass through the first narrows that I caught the walleyes in. I hope you have a great trip, it's really hard not to when your not at work and fishing in Canada. Good luck to you.
6/10/15 @ 5:57 PM
eldril
User since 5/28/09
hockeybob No offense taken it was myself and a buddy that caught 344 fish but we didn't stay out all day. The weather was kind of a roller coaster for the first few days so that didn't help. I have been there in the spring and caught a 100 fish a day so I am certain your trip will be great. Please let us know how it goes, Good Luck and Great Fishing.
6/10/15 @ 5:51 PM
eldril
User since 5/28/09
Czar312 Although I've never stayed at Sleepy Dog I did talk with some of there guests while I was there last week fishing. They said that the people were very nice and the cabins were clean. The boats that they were in seemed very nice and a bit newer I think. Sleepy Dog is just about 200 yards from the first narrows, so they are right there for the evening bite for sure. The first cove by the narrows is also great for walleye in the far back left corner as you enter it. It has also been very good for perch in the spring. I hope this helps and good luck to you let me know if I can help in anyway with other suggestions. I have never fished there in the fall so I can't wait to see how you do, Good Luck.
6/10/15 @ 4:15 PM
czar312
User since 8/19/14
love the comments!! Going up for the first time on August 14 to Sleepy Dog. Any tips or comments especially any marked maps would be appreciated. Been to NWO before but it has been since 1993. Always used salted minnows on jigs with great results.....comments? How is the resort? Looks good! Please feel free to PM
6/10/15 @ 2:19 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01
Thanks for the updates guys. Good reports.
Displaying 106 to 120 of 1,100 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE