MORE
Turkey Hunting

2018 Turkey Reports

3/28/18 @ 8:57 AM
INITIAL POST
Vermeeson
Vermeeson
User since 1/22/02

Post your observations, activity, and techniques used to harvest your bird. Good luck everyone!

Displaying 30 to 44 of 115 posts
5/1/18 @ 1:58 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Deerdog-  Congrats on your 1st bird.. Good find on the 10ptr but always hate to see a good buck dead after season..

5/1/18 @ 9:16 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

I have hunted 2 mornings so far. One was the Friday of first period in WI in zone 1. Wasn’t able to do any scouting and set up in the most productive spot. Good tom down at 6:20. 

Yesterday I got to MO, scouted some but didn’t have any spots with potential birds, so this morning I went to my most productive spot. Good tom down at 6:15. Turns out he was roosted close enough I could literally hear his feathers ruffle when he gobbled. 

Mostly just luck in both places but both birds were called in with very aggressive calling. Both 10 1/2” beards. WI bird had 1” spurs, MO had 1 1/4”. 

5/1/18 @ 7:52 AM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17

Went out this morning for 4th time in Zone 3. Each morning had fairly good gobbling on the roost and on the ground. This morning was extremely quiet.... not sure if it was the bit higher winds or what.. birds were roosted about 75 yards from me, saw them fly down, and head towards 1 of 2 fields i can't hunt. One of the first times i couldn't even get one to shock gobble at an owl call. Anybody else have a similar experience this morning?

4/30/18 @ 1:05 PM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

My first year...struggled to find any toms. Had one in sight Saturday, but in a group and non-responsive to calling.

Had this jake come in my last morning so reluctantly decided to take him. He was the biggest jake I had seen in five days of hunting.

4/30/18 @ 9:16 AM
deerdog
User since 11/7/03

Had a fun morning. My 1st time hunting turkeys in the spring. Now I understand why people love it. To have a Tom respond and come in to a call is awesome!

4/29/18 @ 7:01 PM
lightning95
lightning95
User since 1/7/14

Got up to the cabin in Price County around 3 pm Friday.  The rain had just stopped.  Out hunting by 4:30.  Lots of birds responding.  Called in two from a long way off.  Dropped the bigger one at 45 yds. 

Couldn't get a tom for my dad.  Birds were quiet Saturday.  Had 3 hens this morning but the toms stayed out of range.

Overall, awesome hunt!

4/29/18 @ 1:51 PM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

zzzzzzzzzone  3 Waupaca co:

hunted most of the day yesterday seen 2 hens and a tom, decent gobblin in the morning but not much after fly down. nothing in PM hunt

today seen 4 hens one of which stayed around the decoys for about an hour and would off and on spit and strut I;ve never seen that before from a hen it was neat to watch, one or 2 gobblin far off on the roost.that was it

still a great weekend in the woods, back at um for D.

goodluck all!

4/28/18 @ 8:55 PM
joeywadu
User since 5/13/02

No its not always easy...more times than not they will bring you of insanity...from the spurs looks like a 3 year old...very nice bird

Wadu

4/28/18 @ 6:53 PM
joeywadu
User since 5/13/02

Benuts

Hey way to go...that thing is beautiful and looks huge...what were the details on that bird..weight....beard...spurs 

Wadu

4/28/18 @ 4:59 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Benuts-  Congrats on your first bird..Nice looking beard on that bird..

Griff-  That is a neat picture.. I have had coyotes charge dekes but getting a bobcat to show up is pretty rare..

4/28/18 @ 2:12 PM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

What a dandy bird Safe Hunt, congrats.

Griff that is such a cool picture, and humorous too.  

4/28/18 @ 1:04 PM
griff n
griff n
User since 6/17/11

Nephew had this encounter on our land this morning.Our land is just west of Royalton.  About the only animal native to Wisc. that I have never seen.Have had some on trail cameras the last few years so maybe I will see one yet. Pretty cool I  think

4/27/18 @ 4:00 PM
Safe Hunt
User since 11/2/12

Silent Friday Morning in zone three second season. 10:15 this Tom approached from behind, halfway up a steep ridge in the woods. 

Deinitely saw hen feeder decoy moving in the breeze at top of hill as he immediately went into full strut. Plenty of time to move gun as he spun around then came out of strut.

3 1/2 inch hit him hard at 40 yards and he rolled 60 more down the steep hill.

27.5 lbs

10.5 thick beard

1 1/4 spurs

4/27/18 @ 10:57 AM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

No ticks yet, but had a few mosquitoes last night. East-Central WI.

4/27/18 @ 7:52 AM
renrut
User since 3/20/09

Curious how are the ticks and in what area of the state? Thanks

Displaying 30 to 44 of 115 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE