SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Forest County Deer Hunting

11/11/01 @ 5:18 PM
INITIAL POST
Pat
User since 6/15/01
Does anyone else hunt Forest county north of Crandon? I have hunted this area for 40 years and there are very few other hunters. Most years I don't see another boot track in the snow the whole season. These deer are really dying of old age in alot of these areas. I manage to get a buck most every year. Pat

Displaying 76 to 90 of 703 posts
12/11/16 @ 6:54 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

The "anti-hunter" DNR, as part of their reorganization have created three full time positions specifically designed to focus on new hunter recruitment .

Now thats sneaky....

12/11/16 @ 12:13 PM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01

Yes the 1991 opener was a mess, I saw 2 deer all day and that was on the walk out from my stand at dusk. I don't know what they were because I had my glasses in my pocket because I could not keep them clean. I shot a nice buck the next morning after only being in my stand 5 minutes. I pulled it about halfway out and then had about 5 or 6 helpers for the rest of the way. We put a long rope on it and pulled it single file because of the deep snow. It was 1:30 when we finally goy it to a road and I was spent. I shot another one a few days later and only had to pull that one a few hundred yards.

I only saw 5 deer that year and I thought that was lousy, that's about 3 years worth nowadays......

12/10/16 @ 7:12 PM
YBONE
User since 2/11/02

Remember it well Yamy. Opening day hunting was hampered by a major blizzard. I walked into my stand before light with barely a dusting. Sat all day. Trudged back out at 5 through 16" of snow. Never saw a deer but I got one the second day. We did come back up for the "3rd" weekend. Pushed a few around but no shots. Yes the good old days.

12/9/16 @ 3:17 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

Was just reading the Forest County Newspaper and in their looking back column 25 years ago the DNR extended the deer season because of snow and a lower deer harvest. Deer harvest in Forest County through Monday of 1991 was 1,994 bucks and 4155 antlerless for a total of 6,149 for the first 3 days of season. This year is 840 bucks for the whole season!!  Ah yes the GOOD OLD DAYS!!

12/3/16 @ 6:07 PM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

They go down the list of preferred foods. When they are gone they go to the next. Here is something from the NE.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjH6OnEj9nQAhXIxYMKHZfIDsQQFgglMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.na.fs.fed.us%2Fpubs%2F2014%2FNA-IN-02-14_WhitetailedDeerNEForestsWEB.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHCZMPWomankEQYLm12DIt58Z0G3Q

12/3/16 @ 5:46 PM
YBONE
User since 2/11/02

Agreed they love cedar. Hemock as well. Both have good food value as well, I believe. My question is, what do they eat when there are too many deer and they browse it up to where they can't reach it anymore, often before the worst rigors of winter set in?

12/3/16 @ 5:43 PM
BeerTownFyreman
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

The state is getting more Federal land to be available for logging through the Good Neighbor Authority. Its a slow start, but should get better. If you look it up, there was a pretty good chunk set up already, about 3600 additional acres this year alone.

The antlerless tags that were highlighted below have some information that has been left out of the discussion...

Each time the tags were issued, it was done in enough advance to publicize that they were made available to the general public for free. They were only valid during open deer seasons and stopped before bucks lost their horns. They can only be used in certain areas, and not every tag that gets issued is filled.

12/3/16 @ 5:39 PM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01

ihookum, looks to me like the deer in your area have a little different menu than the ones in Forest Co...........Reminds me of my nephew when he was a little guy he called tamarack "Golden Spruce" when they turned........

Should not be a surprise to anyone cedar is preferred if available. Look at the shoreline of most lakes and you can see a browse line where the deer feed on cedar on the shoreline ice.........They will even eat cedar next to your house or car if they get hungry.

12/3/16 @ 5:26 PM
YBONE
User since 2/11/02

Here is an example of spruce budworm effects. This in the u.p

On one my favorite trout stream stretches. Sorry, can't divulge exact location??

It is slowly spreading south and perpetuated by mild winters. If you see those little white moths on warm fall afternoons, those aren't gypsy moths, they are spruce budworm.

12/3/16 @ 4:44 PM
YBONE
User since 2/11/02
Trying to post link. I'll figure it out. Otherwise just Google "spruce budworm"
12/3/16 @ 4:30 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

Ybone,  you made some very interesting points . (1) spruce bud disease., I never heard of it . What I can tell you is what the loggers dont cut , mother nature will. I have started to see the the destruction of Emerald Ash Borer in Kettle Moraine S.F. It is going to be devastating in the Price co. hardwoods.  About 25-50% of the trees in the hardwoods are mature ash. This is going to bring a lot of sunlight on the floor and should be much like a perfect select cut logging operation. (2) that pic of the maple saplings is exactly what I see all over Price co. It is a very poor regeneration of a hardwoods if you ask me. I see balsams or " flat needled spruce) totally eaten by deer. There is no t single cedar oak, Hemlock, white pine tree under 70 or 80 yrs old. This tells me there have been too many deer in the woods for an awful long time. Now, there are some Hemlock, white pine coming up but will most likely get eaten. The 2' tall oaks are everywhere ( most likely from turkeys) It is looking up some. We need cedars, pine and Hemlock for winter cover and there is little left. What the government won't let the loggers do , the Emerald Ash Borer will do. That is sad. Ash at least makes a decent hardwood floor and pulp. As for me, I see a lot of coyote tracks and get a lot on the cam too. There are a lot of coyotes but I have not seen a wolf track since early May and have not heard them neither. It is to some degree an excuse fro no deer but I see a very poor deer woods in Price/ Sawyer co. that was over browsed for 50 years except for the last five years. Later Ihookem.

12/3/16 @ 3:48 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

YBONE   Very well said I agree with you 100 % , About the same to the SE of you a ways  !!

12/3/16 @ 3:46 PM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

In case anybody wants to verify or disprove FNB comments on nuisance tags in Forest county here is a name and number off the DNR site in response to my question.

I would recommend contacting the wildlife biologist that is located in Forest county which would be Noah Balgooyen at 608-635-4090. I am not sure where to find the information for nuisance tags.

12/3/16 @ 3:45 PM
YBONE
User since 2/11/02

Pic was taken on south west facing slope that leads down to a small creek that drains an isolated highland swamp. On the edge of a grove of large ewh. Eastern White Hemlock. Surrounded 180 by old growth hardwood, during rifle season 2015. The browse is maple saplings.

12/3/16 @ 3:37 PM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

Thanks Ybone, always good to hear from the boots on the ground crowd. What type of tree stand is your picture of?

Displaying 76 to 90 of 703 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE