SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Forest County Deer Hunting

11/11/01 @ 5:18 PM
INITIAL POST
Pat
User since 6/15/01
Does anyone else hunt Forest county north of Crandon? I have hunted this area for 40 years and there are very few other hunters. Most years I don't see another boot track in the snow the whole season. These deer are really dying of old age in alot of these areas. I manage to get a buck most every year. Pat

Displaying 46 to 60 of 703 posts
12/7/18 @ 9:24 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

Six sets of tracks!  Looking up!

12/7/18 @ 3:48 PM
fishballs
User since 4/8/04

we hunted forest county from wabeno to crandon for 19 years finally leaving our group in 2009. in the 90's youd see deer everywhere back on the hardwood ridges along the 9 mile swamp but like someone flipped a switch they were gone? there are many reasons for this, i believe the increase in bears had more to do with it than wolves imo. a bigger factor is when the paper mills in the valley closed down or they bought pulp from overseas that was the end of heavy logging. i know this because i work in a mill. if they logged heavy and you had lots of new growth there would be deer again. last winter i drove down the 10 mile dirt road known as diamond roof road in southern forest cty and in 10 miles i saw about 6 sets of tracks!

12/7/18 @ 1:55 PM
Yrag
User since 5/31/06

I hunted my last day up in Forest County on Nov 24th! I have been hunting north of Argonne for the last 40yrs. I am not spending my 6 weeks of vacation time trying to find & shoot a small buck. It seems 90% of the mature bucks dont make it through the winter & if they do their rack has minimal increase the following year. Between the wolves in the winter, the bears in the spring & no regeneration of the forest the deer dont have much of a chance

12/1/18 @ 10:49 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

TBD Lake Anna Florence, WI 54121

MLS 1108660 . HERE IS THE MLS LISTING NUMBER.  Seems cheap to me , had public land almost across the road. 

View All Photos

Request Information 

Email to a Friend    

Map this Listing      

Calculate Payments 

Print this Listing     

Price: $14,500

1.14 Acres M/L

Water: None

WILD RIVERS REALTY-C

CHASE ERICKSON

WILD RIVERS REALTY-C

906-875-0100

Request Information 

Type: Vacant Land

Area: Florence T

Township: Florence T 

Remarks: Nicely 1.14+/- acre wooded parcel with year round access and most utilities at the lot line. Directly across from the public access to beautiful Lake Anna. Direct rec trail access and just a couple minute walk to the Spread Eagle Barrens

Addendum:2017 taxes $149.64 per Florence County online tax roll

This display is intended for the consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties they may be interested in obtaining information about from the listing broker or agent.

All information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified by interested parties. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. The listing broker(s), Upper Peninsula Association of REALTORS?m UPAR MLS and Carrie's Creations shall not be held responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints, and shall be held totally harmless. Upper Peninsula Association of REALTORS? and UPAR MLS ? (All rights reserved)

Back to the Upper Peninsula Michigan Real Estate Homepage

Equal Housing REALTOR MLS

Site design by Carrie's Creations

12/1/18 @ 10:41 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

I see the ecological desert his spreading all over the big woods form what I hear. I can tell ya that the land is a whole lot cheaper now, at least in Florence co. than it was 20 yrs ago. In the long run wolves will make the forest much healthier . In Price co. I have seen the deer numbers go down , most likely worse than Florence of Forest. I have seen some young Hemlcoks coming up , although they are eaten to nothing by spring time. There are thousands of oak trees coming up. I see about 5  or 10 WHite oaks per acres in the clear cut. If those oaks can get above the tree line there will be millions of White Oaks making acorns. The WHite Pines are also doing a little better and living long enough to get tall enough so the deer wont get them. I had a  White pine 6' tall last year and sure enough , a deer bit the top off. Thought it was high enough . We will see a healthier northern forest  some day with more logging . I dont think our new Governor will allow much logging on state land but it didn't seem like Scott Walker cared much neither. As conservationist we know what is good but fluffy politics gets in the way. SO much can be done if we use common sense.  Now is the time to buy a chunk of land up there. Many say ," no way , there aint no deer up there no more and people are very pessimistic and I understand but buying now for cheap may work out . " At the peak of pessimism , that is when you invest" Sir John Templeton.

11/30/18 @ 9:49 PM
Quester
User since 1/28/07

Use to hunt the area between the pine river bottom and jones creek!

It was very challenging to learn the good stands in that wilderness.

This was back in the early 80's till about 8 years ago, the habitat got too mature and the wolves moved in.

We were planning on going back this last spring for a scouting run when that late snow storm halted that plan!

11/30/18 @ 7:08 PM
redskin
User since 1/28/02

Your comments are exactly why we have vacated Forest County for deer hunting after 40 plus years.  Our family typically did pretty well and we knew a big chunk of the Nicolet pretty well between bow, grouse and rifle.  Then with the big down turn our success tanked.  My youngest daughter never saw a deer in 6yrs of hunting.  We moved to hunt with the "other side of the family" on a big chunk of land in Shawano County.  never feel crowded on the hundreds of acres we have access to - just like "Up North".  My youngest has shot a deer every year - last year a 10 pointer.  We see deer pretty much every day throughout the season.  Every day is a possibility - just like the old days....I have really great memories of the big timber and hope some day things turn around.

11/29/18 @ 4:08 PM
common man
User since 6/17/12

My brother and I sat outside Wabeno for the Opener and saw one deer, my 6 pt that I had the luck to see at 4;00pm on the Opener.  Awesome to have the snow or I would have never seen him initially.  Missed him quartering away at about 100 yds, he jumped three times, looked around, turned, and walked right to me.  Luck, luck, luck!  We saw nothing else.  I did see a doe and two fawns the following Friday.  So I'm thinking not much for deer population around this little town.  There was a spike shot about 1 mile away.

11/21/18 @ 11:03 PM
hizzoner
User since 1/13/13

Dead sea in NW Forest County. Our camp didn't see a deer in 4 days of hunting. Maybe heard 25 shots total , closest being miles away. All the usual camps were there along with ours. Couple fresh tracks at night , nothing doing during the day. Very quiet , just kinda eerie feeling , nothing really moving in the woods at all . 

11/5/18 @ 5:12 AM
common man
User since 6/17/12

We saw a doe on the driveway to cottage last weekend! Yeah, there's a deer in forest county.  Still looking forward to gun hunt up there in two weeks. I get a lot of reading done on stand waiting patiently. Good luck everyone.

10/31/18 @ 4:20 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

The past 2 weekends I was up doing some scouting in the National Forest in the southern part of the county where we have hunted for many years. Wow unbelievable the lack of deer sign in most areas, I mean it was a big deal to find a track or pile of deer crap. I think we found more piles of wolf crap full of deer hair then deer crap. Hardly a scrape and very very few rubs. I actually thought the population was coming back a couple years ago but the deer are pretty sparse, at least where we were. These were areas where years ago the trails were like cowpaths and it was nothing to find 20 scrapes or rubs in a couple hours. Between the wolves, coyotes, bears, violators and no logging the deer population has hit the bottom in some areas up there. 

4/19/18 @ 10:10 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

I see that the CDAC dropped the antlerless permits down to 300. I guess they really did listen to all of our comments!!

4/15/18 @ 7:08 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

Actually the proposed number of anterless tags for Forest Co. is 2900. Yes I agree the last month of winter has not been mild at all up there. A week and a half ago there was between 24" and 29" of snow on the ground by our cabin in Forest Co. and I know there was more to the west.

4/15/18 @ 10:46 AM
Huck 34
PRO MEMBER User since 12/26/02
I sure hope that our leaders consider the final weeks of winter before they handout 1000 antler-less tags in this neck of the woods! 
3/24/18 @ 7:36 AM
daleracefan
User since 3/27/02

Up by Long Lake last weekend had all all of 15” with a crust on top. We didn’t see may deer last season the way it was! Long winter!

Displaying 46 to 60 of 703 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE