SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Forest County Deer Hunting

11/11/01 @ 5:18 PM
INITIAL POST
Pat
User since 6/15/01
Does anyone else hunt Forest county north of Crandon? I have hunted this area for 40 years and there are very few other hunters. Most years I don't see another boot track in the snow the whole season. These deer are really dying of old age in alot of these areas. I manage to get a buck most every year. Pat

Displaying 61 to 75 of 703 posts
3/19/18 @ 7:36 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

Forest County from at least Laona north has a good 15" of snow left as of 3/19/18 with a thick crust when the temps are below freezing which has been quite often lately. The few deer we are seeing are having a tough time with the crust when it is frozen. Snow is melting but very slowly, need some rain and 50 degrees. I don't know how the Southern part of the county is doing but it is turning out to be a long winter up here.

3/15/18 @ 9:39 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

Forest co. should be good this year .There is very little snow now. Just a few inches. Price co. still has about 16". 

3/5/18 @ 9:12 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

I wouldn't believe what the DNR is saying about the deer having a mild winter up north. I took about a 30 mile ride through the National Forest East of Laona today and seen very very few deer tracks. One thing I could not believe was the amount of wolf tracks I seen, they were all over. Lots of piles of wolf crap all full of deer hair. Took a little snow shoe walk and found a fresh wolf kill of a probably 3 year old buck that had lost its antlers. There is close to 18" of snow with a thick crust from the rain a few weeks ago. Crust is thick enough the wolves and coyotes are mostly walking on top so its easy pickings for them after the deer right now. Years ago the deer trails were like cow paths in this area, now the most deer tracks are close to cabins. I thought the deer population was coming back the last couple years but this is the least amount of deer sign I have ever seen in this area in the winter.

11/28/17 @ 10:01 PM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01
Our group of about a dozen guys(about 8 serious) shot 3 nice mature bucks. A huge 6 nice 8 and big 10. The guy with the 8 saw 14 deer including 5 bucks in 2/12 days of hunting. The guy with the nice 6 pt saw 3 bucks in a little over a day hunting, missed one passed one and shot the 3rd.We had two guys miss nice bucks and a handfull of passes on smaller ones. It looks like things have improved greatly where we hunted in Southern forest Co. Some areas were loaded with rubs scrapes and tracks. I hope they keep the doe harvest quota low or better yet none. I'll try to post some pics in the next day or so(I have an old flip phone).
11/27/17 @ 11:45 PM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
User since 8/23/01

thanks for the reports guys.  for us in the Wabeno area, the deer sightings were up a good amount Saturday through Wednesday.  The deer then went in nocturnal mode and nobody wants to drive deer anymore so we didnt see much the rest of the year.  For our group...8 guys, 3 bucks were taken. 

from the nightly trail camera pictures....there are lots of bucks left and some big ones.  That's northwoods hunting.  Always fun but frustrating for sure.  Need more guys moving around in a coordinated effort to maximize success in the big woods.  Awesome views again this year and I love the opportunity to hunt up there.  -WW 

Forest County Deer Hunting photo by Walleye Warrior
11/27/17 @ 10:29 PM
YBONE
User since 2/11/02

Alvin/Nelma area. Overall deer sign way up. Highest amount of bucks on trail cameras I've had in 6 years of placing them including some nice 2.5 and 3.5 year olds and plenty of 1.5s. For some reason buck sign almost nonexistent. Baiting/feeding is banned in this county but you'd never know it. A flurry of shooting opening day between 8 and 10 and by flurry I mean maybe a dozen shots. Pretty quiet the rest of the day. Very quiet Sunday. Half dozen all day. Basically 13 guys in our camp(s) opening weekend, no kills. My stepson missed a running spike opening day and maybe 3 or 4 deer seen total among the 13 guys. I saw none all weekend. We get together with a neighboring camp and make drives Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I walk every drive. The amount of tracks and droppings in the woods is more than I can remember seeing in a long time. One of our group has extensive Buffalo County experience. He had a buck come out on a drive that he described as a "Buffalo County Shooter". I don't doubt it as I believe we got a very fuzzy picture of him on my stepson's trail cam. Unfortunately he was scoping 2 other deer that came out to his left and the buck came on his right. He had a shot but not vitals so he passed. We ended up with nice spike on our very last drive Saturday. Always a good time. The deer driving and camaraderie that is. However, it's been many years since I get excited about rifle season. It' just simply a big amateur show on public land. My "season" is the first week in November with the bow. I was up through the 12th and there was surprisingly little human activity on the fs roads and in the woods that weekend. I returned to my camp on Friday afternoon before the opener and with a fresh coating of snow on the ground to find every side road traveled, man tracks up and down roads and coming out of the woods all over. People invade the woods, clank up ladder stands, pop up tents the day before the hunt and then wonder why they don't see any deer. It really is a joke.

11/26/17 @ 3:47 PM
common man
User since 6/17/12

In six full days outside Wabeno during gun hunt I saw two does and one fawn. That's an increase in the Northwoods deer herd? Fellow hunters saw tails only when they walked, but even then hardly any. After being aall fired up night before Opener, just another typical season here .

11/19/17 @ 9:20 PM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
User since 8/23/01

hows the hunt going up north?  I have been down south so far this year but headed up after TDay

5/24/17 @ 8:55 PM
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13

here is another very good video from les johnson , he makes predator hunting videos. explaining how it all comes together. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIL-RhOo2LU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIL-RhOo2LU

5/24/17 @ 8:19 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

There are a lot more deer up there than 3 yrs ago. If we get another easy winter and few doe tags it will be a decent yr in 2018. I think 2017 will be ok . I was running around in the woods and actually kicked up a deer while walking and saw one sitting along the bank of the river. I also saw a few when I took a walk. Three yrs ago I could hardly find a track. 

5/20/17 @ 7:38 AM
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13

here is a great video explaining why there are less deer in northern WI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQUo0vwd9eo&t=34s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQUo0vwd9eo&t=34s

4/11/17 @ 9:43 AM
Huck 34
PRO MEMBER User since 12/26/02

Anyone been up to the North Woods lately? Any deer reports? After 2 good winters im hoping for a few more deer in the woods this fall! assuming of course that the wolves have started to migrate south!

Huck34

2/15/17 @ 9:51 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

This warm spell is exactly what the deer needed. Seen more deer while snowmobiling in Forest County this winter then I have seen in many years  and they look in pretty good shape. The only bad thing is we did see quite a few wolf tracks again and some really big tracks. Hopefully there is a wolf season this fall to knock their numbers back a bit.

12/11/16 @ 11:18 PM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
User since 8/23/01

Well like a dummy I hunted forest county this weekend.  No deer seen.  In fact no squirrels or birds either!  #wasteland

all wasn't lost though.  Sat both afternoons with my 4 year old son.  He seems to be a gamer already.  

Hoping for better tomorrows for my kids in forest county.

-ww

12/11/16 @ 8:18 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Rikj, where are you hunting that you can see 5 deer in 3 years? That's where I wanna go. 
Displaying 61 to 75 of 703 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE