MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Perch situation on Lake Michigan

8/26/12 @ 4:02 PM
INITIAL POST
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
I will actually start this thread because it takes one guy to whine about it on the reports... Well? Where are they, whats the problem, whats being done to help??? Its been 0ver 10 years that Ive seen any decent action on perch. Last year at the boils I had some luck. Ive basically heard nothing this year from anyone anywhere. Milwaukee down to Racine at least. What do you guys think.
Displaying 16 to 30 of 2,773 posts
7/31/18 @ 7:52 AM
markrazzy
User since 6/23/09

Those numbers of alewives aren't accurate... I've had conversations with the guy who actually does the trawling. No doubt the numbers are down historically and are low - but the trout and salmon in the lake are surviving very well. I even pulled a 7" alewife out of a 24" coho (one of 12 alewives in this cohos belly). I don't think we're out of the woods yet. We've gotten extremely lucky we haven't had a harsh winter in a few years. That could've finished the alewives off. I'd still love to see the lake trout stocking stop, but that's a different conversation.

Anyways, back to perch. Don't think this article has been posted yet... Not looking good.

https://amp.jsonline.com/amp/834668002

4/24/18 @ 9:21 AM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

This says it all --- record weights in chinook that hadn't been seen in years, intense lobbying not reducing stocking no's of chinook in Wi, (successful). Maybe not such a good idea? Toss in the Quaggas, not looking good.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-smith/2018/02/21/smith-alewife-hit-record-low-lake-michigan-2017/356786002/

4/21/18 @ 6:18 PM
Jason Woda
User since 9/1/01

I agree. And yes commercial harvest(some illegally) put a huge dent into lake Michigan's perch population. Add that to how much the lake has changed? Not sure if perch will ever recover, considering how strict regs have been over the last 15 years. If they were to rebound I figure it would have happened already. They have had ample time. However I don't know what you are speaking of with the walleyed? Am I missing something? 

4/21/18 @ 11:05 AM
Jason Woda
User since 9/1/01

Tom has been located! These pics aren't his real name either. I will keep that private

4/13/18 @ 2:08 PM
markrazzy
User since 6/23/09

Haven't tried... I know I've got some buddies who slay them down in Illinois at certain times in the year.  Here's a somewhat recent publication on the "Status of Yellow Perch in Lake Michigan 2016-2017".  To sum it up - don't expect to catch many perch around Milwaukee anytime soon.  

mdnrlmfmp.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/statusofyellowperchlm2016-2017.pdf

3/16/18 @ 8:28 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06

Yeah Shane, that's why I couldn't go back and make a connection.

I do remember that guy...especially the logic (or lack of) that his brain produced.

3/16/18 @ 4:47 PM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01

Wrangler5, was his handle but he was called many other things! He was my morning laugh before work and I kind of miss him.

3/16/18 @ 4:29 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06

Ok, for those that don't know the names of all the users here (which appears to be just me), who on earth is this Tom that's been dominating the conversation?  What did he go by here?

3/12/18 @ 2:20 PM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07

I am willing to bet it's to restore Native Predators (TM) to stop Asian carp!

That's sarcasm, by the way

3/4/18 @ 7:18 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04

Walleye stocking?

Looks like somebody with some experience is high up on walleye. Its been awhile that Ive seen any but would definitly love to see this happen. And would help if possible. Something to keep an eye out at least.

12/6/17 @ 4:34 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Yeah my buddy caught a nice number of perch in Lake Michigan Chicago area over this past weekend.

12/2/17 @ 8:49 AM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

All is not lost the strong hatch from 2yrs ago starting to bear fruit. Hope this happens this coming year up our way.

http://www.chitown-angler.com/1fish/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=86142&sid=c20dbd38c102cd0fdbee19c6ceae19a8

11/22/17 @ 6:17 PM
Musky_36
User since 4/27/02

I should also wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving, and hopefully never see another post from Tom. I know it might be hard but let's just hope.

11/22/17 @ 10:30 AM
bigmommabrown
User since 3/29/11

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/wisconsin/2017/11/22/latest-discovery-dnr-find-four-bighead-carp-wisconsin-river-near-prairie-du-sac/887099001/

"Four adult bighead carp, an invasive fish species, were captured this fall by the Department of Natural Resources on the Wisconsin River, the agency reported this week."

As Tommy would say, lets start stocking those perch in the WI river.  Need to get rid of those asian carp.

11/22/17 @ 10:19 AM
Musky_36
User since 4/27/02

Snake,

Good sarcasm well now you know, thanks for the entertainment.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving

Displaying 16 to 30 of 2,773 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE