MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Perch situation on Lake Michigan

8/26/12 @ 4:02 PM
INITIAL POST
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
I will actually start this thread because it takes one guy to whine about it on the reports... Well? Where are they, whats the problem, whats being done to help??? Its been 0ver 10 years that Ive seen any decent action on perch. Last year at the boils I had some luck. Ive basically heard nothing this year from anyone anywhere. Milwaukee down to Racine at least. What do you guys think.
Displaying 61 to 75 of 2,773 posts
10/12/17 @ 4:18 PM
Musky_36
User since 4/27/02

X-Ray,

That's a great question, no offense to Robb for starting this thread but unless there is some meaningful info coming up to share, my guess it will die. Unless we see a new member here called Walranger6

10/12/17 @ 4:04 PM
skarbo1
User since 2/3/05

IMO this should have been done years ago........Yes it was funny and such....but after 5yrs it was still the same thing over and over and over......

10/12/17 @ 12:17 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

Tommy is finally toast.  All of his posts are gone (all of them back to the beginning of the thread) which I think means he is banned?

Will the thread just die or will it become something useful?

10/12/17 @ 12:04 PM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

When Tom talks about "right strain disease free" I wonder where he plans on getting the stock that is indigenous to main basin LM. I wonder if his thinking is  the bay of Green bay, Grand Traverse Bay, or the finger lakes bordering  the western shore of LM. Knowing he has no understanding of LM  biology, no wonder all his petitions are filed in the trash can.  Tom,please tell us where you are going to obtain the seed stocks from?

10/12/17 @ 11:25 AM
Musky_36
User since 4/27/02

Amar,

That is why a few weeks ago I predicted Tom will never put a perch in LM legally.

Just notice it looks like someone just got banned...poof goes his posts.

10/12/17 @ 9:20 AM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

I find it amazing that as soon as we get the real details of why this plan was rejected it turns into insults. I gave some very good suggestions and instead of responding in a semi-rational manner, it's belligerence and insults. Insulting those who disagree with you won't change the facts...

There are a lot of organizations out there that somehow get all their permits approved, working with them to achieve a goal is a realistic approach, chicken manure in farm pond with Christmas trees is not.

10/12/17 @ 8:55 AM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07

It's a moot point, anyway. It's not like wally is going to be able to put some Christmas trees in the water, grab perch eggs, raise them and release them without getting caught and/or the fish not surviving.

10/12/17 @ 8:26 AM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

Risk of disease would be abated if you used a certified aquaculturist. Strain would be abated if you used eggs from captured wild stock. Cost would be abated if you already had the funding secured.

They provide a wonderful list on their site of approved aquaculturists you can use. If you can secure a grant to capture, raise, and release X-quantity of fish and apply to stock only that many, there goes that excuse.

I'm not going to engage in slinging insults. Your answer was enough and was exactly what I suspected. You did not meet the criteria laid out on the permit application and were subsequently denied. You didn't cross your T's and dot your I's.  Work with a biologists on what you need to do (I'm sure a local college/university will know of someone who would volunteer their time) or even with a group like Walleyes for Tomorrow on how to accomplish this.

10/11/17 @ 1:45 PM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07

2 million perch is a lot of bathtubs

10/11/17 @ 10:38 AM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

and there is at least one logical reason why your permit is dead on arrival.  You do not have the $$.

10/11/17 @ 9:35 AM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

Oh the irony.....

The S.O.N.S. (Save Our Native Species) of Lake Erie stock invasive species into Presque Isle Bay: Steelhead and Brown Trout. 

10/11/17 @ 8:07 AM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

I'm not afraid of anything, I asked a simple question. You say that crossing the T's and dotting the I's won't help but you won't get anything done otherwise. What was the exact reason for denial? Is that such a hard question to answer?

Also, 10,280 did not want anything. 10,280 responded to the survery. The majority (not all!) of respondents stated that it should be the #1 priority, FACAS said invasive species control should be #1. The overall number was less than 90% of the respondents. Maybe if you stuck to straight facts you could garner more support.

10/11/17 @ 7:04 AM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

At the 3 for $1.00 price you quoted us earlier it'd only cost $666,666.67 to put 2 million perch in Lake Michigan. Where can I send my money I'd love to help?

10/10/17 @ 5:39 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

I wonder if the survey touted is the 2012 survey that had 10,280 respondents. Native species restoration and invasive species control were tied for those the public felt should be top priority. If it's the same survey that is not the same as 10,280 wanting it, simply that the majority of the respondents felt that way. BTW, it was for all Michigan waters, inland and Great Lakes...

http://www.michigandnr.com/FTP/wildlife/NRCMaterials/2013%20NRC%20Meetings/April%202013%20NRC%20meeting/2012%20Fisheries%20Div%20Annual%20Report.pdf

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/Summary_of_public_survey_408027_7.pdf

Same story he's been selling since 2013, except the narrative has...shifted somewhat. https://greatlakesecho.org/2013/05/09/spring-brings-fish-stocking-regulation-changes/comment-page-1/

I'd still like to know the official reason for the denial but I expect a rant will ensue where the actual reasoning is never stated remotely close to verbatim...

10/10/17 @ 4:08 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

hmmmmm, lets see how many ways they can deny his permit.

1. Never actually sent one in.  Check!

2. Failed to completely fill out public waters permit. Check!

• strain of fish
  • how many fish
  • when you are going to stock
  • size you are going to stock
  • fish health certificate

3. No source of fish. Check!

• Facility name
  • facility address
  • Managers name
  • Managers address

4. Stocking inconsistent with waterbody DNR goals.  Check!

• something like we are trying to get the lower food web back into shape and dumping a bunch bathtub tub perch aren't helping.
  • proposed perch are not Lake Michigan strain.

5. No credible source of funds. Check!

Displaying 61 to 75 of 2,773 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE