MORE
Archery

Juneau county reports

10/27/12 @ 9:06 AM
INITIAL POST
duckman05
duckman05
User since 1/6/11
Haven't seen any on Juneau yet, figured I would chime in. I hunt southern juneau, sat last night have 12 doe it a cut corn field....Not bucks to be seen. Have noticed a few scrapes. Also noticed there are not many dead deer on the roads around here yet, compared to Monore and Jackson co. Think the best is to come this week and next. Happy hunting.
Displaying 16 to 30 of 479 posts
10/5/22 @ 10:04 AM
BigHorn
User since 10/24/11

Hunted the evening of the 24th and saw a bunch of does and fawns so that was encouraging.  The rain came in just after dark.  It stopped so I sat the morning of the 25th until about 7:30 and it started raining again so I got down.  I don't mind the rain as much as the mosquitoes.  They were pretty bad.  Heading out again tomorrow after work (10/6) for the weekend.  Looks to be cooling off.       

9/30/22 @ 8:29 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Unfortunately I won't be bowhunting till the 15th this season. Been busy with a couple new ventures.

Any report from those of you who have been out this year? I hear the skeeters are pretty bad.

12/13/21 @ 8:52 AM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

2021 was a little above average for our group with an amazing week between Nov 7th thru the 13th. I have never seen so many bucks and 4 shooters to boot. I shot this biggest buck of my life(see picture of big 9) on the 13th but I hit him high in no man’s land and never found him. I’m still sick to my stomach to this day but he did get shot by a neighbor opening weekend so at least he didn’t go to waist. 

This was the first year in I can’t tell you how many years we didn’t put a deer on the pole for bow season, but the activity was amazing so it was considered a good year.

Gun deer season we had two youngsters shoot there first bucks so that was the highlight of the year. We ended gun season with 4 bucks on the pole, Spiker, forker, six point and 8 pointer and a lot of new memories to share for years to come. 

This was also the first time I havent shot a deer two years in a row EVER but it was still a great season. Already counting the days until next season. We are north of 21 and east of 80 FWIW. Good luck to those still hunting. 

Juneau county reports photo by Casedog
Juneau county reports photo by Casedog
11/11/21 @ 8:53 PM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

Totally understand and respect you for your information.. I am just trying to get a feel for the hunting in the county.. I mainly fish the Rock and only turkey hunted a few times in the area..My neighbor hunts The Necedah wild life area and they have seen alot of wolves over the last 5 years...I grew up hunting Trempuleau county all on private land... Hunted Sauk with my son for the youth hunts with friends.. From a deer numbers area the Sauk county west would be awesome but very pricey...Same with the western part of the state..I am also looking at it as a investment also for the family..I wish you the best of luck and you ever need a fishing report on the rock shoot me a message..

11/11/21 @ 2:52 PM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

When I say we had wolves, I mean I saw, heard or found sign of them fairly often when I was there out and about. I have not heard or saw any for a couple years now. I don't mean to imply they are no longer there, which is most likely not the case, only that I have not encountered anything for some time now. 

If your intent is get away from wolves I don't know that buying land in Sauk county is going to meet your goal. There is a pack in Columbia county, I'm sure there is some presence in Sauk as well. They move around, a lot.

Not trying to tell you what do do. Just trying to pass along my experience.

11/11/21 @ 2:01 PM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

Thank you sir... That's is my worries the wolves...I have see tracks in Buckhorn  state park and behind my mobile home ...my friend has land in Sauk county... Deer heaven ... Seeing alot of bucks on the move in that area .

11/11/21 @ 10:19 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Hunt,

My property is south of 21 west of 80. Most years there seems to be a good number of deer along with a decent buck or 2. I don't run cameras so no real proof but tracks and activity while on stand. We had wolves pretty bad a few years back and that made it tough with deer going nocturnal.

Food plots made a difference for me. I've also done some hinge cutting to promote ground cover. My plots get hammered but I don't see herds of deer, they are there though.

There are a lot of factors that go into just seeing deer, and whatever amount of deer you think you should see. I'd give it some thought before you buy more land. IMO. Good luck! 

11/10/21 @ 11:27 AM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

Just a question for you gentlemen... What part of the county are you hunting? I have a place south of 21 on hwy g.. I don't see alot of deer in the area... I am looking for hunting land  my wife would like to stay in the area if possible... Any help would be awesome... good luck be safe..

11/10/21 @ 9:28 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Hunted last week Thursday to Sunday morning. The action slowed a little when it warmed up later in the week. I saw a large buck following a doe and grunting, sounded like he was pleading with her to stand or run. Kinda funny. They came in to 40 yards but were in the brush and no comfortable shot for me. If memory serves I saw 2 other spikes, an 8pt, a single doe fawn twice and a single doe. I did see deer from the tree after hours and some glimpses of chasing at a distance. Deer were definitely on the move. I did see one scrape in my travels to and from stands. This concludes my bow season as I am unable to hunt this weekend. Will be up for rifle on that Friday. Good luck everyone. 

11/9/21 @ 6:29 PM
badgerfowl
User since 10/1/12

We hunt Juneau county but our new property is just over the line in Sauk county. Couldn’t find the Sauk county report thread. Hunted there 10/29-11/5. Saw plenty of rutting activity and chasing. Ended up with a nice buck. Not enough action on the cameras in Juneau County so never tried it up there this year. 

11/9/21 @ 3:32 PM
zeplure
zeplure
PRO MEMBER User since 2/11/02

I also hunted from 10-29 thru 11-7 very little rutting activity. Saw many does each day with out any bucks following or harassing. On the 7th the day i had to leave we saw the first buck following a doe. will be back up Thursday 

11/9/21 @ 9:24 AM
BigHorn
User since 10/24/11

Hunted alot between 10/27 and 11/7.  Saw a few little bucks.  One little 7 pointer with its nose down walked thru the plot right past a doe that was eating.  Apparently she wasn't ready.  Didn't see many does which was unusual.  Saw more little bucks.  11/6 morning a dandy one came trotting thru around the edge of the slashings looking for a date.  I did get him to stop with grunts and bleats but he didn't come toward me.  Then he kept up his mission.  Need to get a stand closer to the edge of the slashings for next bow season.  Could have had him with a rifle, but I guess that's part of bow hunting.  That's it for me for bow season.  

11/1/21 @ 9:50 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Hunted last week Wednesday to Sunday morning. I saw 1 spike on 2 occasions, another spike, a decent 8pt and a single adult doe over those 5 days. No sign of rut activity of any kind.

10/26/21 @ 9:39 AM
BigHorn
User since 10/24/11

Was out mornings and evenings Wednesday afternoon thru Sunday morning. Not much action until Saturday morning.  4 antlerless headed to their bedding area.  A few minutes later there were deer running around in the slashings.  I counted at least 7.  The one doing the chasing must have been pretty small cuz I couldn't see any horns on him.  Nothing much in the plots on the camera.  

Heading back this afternoon thru the morning hunt next Monday.  Weather doesn't look the best but a cool down coming Sunday.  Good luck to all!!

10/22/21 @ 10:04 AM
BigHorn
User since 10/24/11

Saw 2 does last night. Both adult does but no fawns. Nothing this morning. Beautiful frosty morning to sit tho. Leaves are really falling now. A few more fresh scrapes around the plot.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 479 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE