SEARCH
MORE
Upland/Small Game

Dove Hunting

8/18/14 @ 12:38 PM
INITIAL POST
aschenck
User since 8/18/14
Hey Everyone, I was just wondering if any of you have any information on the activity of the dove fields/public hunting land within an hour and a half of Madison. I am a UW Madison student and absolutely love dove hunting, but due to being a student I don't have much time for scouting. Thought I could help save some time by only checking out the fields that have been reported to have doves. Any info on fields you've had success at would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Displaying 46 to 60 of 61 posts
9/10/14 @ 11:24 AM
DuckSlayin88
User since 9/13/11
I agree with Rempump as well. I hunt doves mainly in the Washington & Dodge County areas and I am truly struggling. I hunt mainly private, but have scouted public and havent seen anything there either. Most of the birds I am seeing are singles. Where are the bigger flocks? I am hoping with some of the fields being cut this week that they will be more active.
9/10/14 @ 9:47 AM
Rempump
User since 5/8/03
This has been the slowest start to any dove season I have had. We hit 12 different DNR fields starting on monday. Saw a total of about 30 birds in 3 days of hunting. We found many of hte fields were full of weeds, didn't have mature sun flowers and a couple that were not cut. Hoping to get a couple before the other seasons start. Dove are great eating!
9/8/14 @ 8:49 AM
DuckSlayin88
User since 9/13/11
Shot 10 over the weekend. The numbers are just not there this year for us.
9/6/14 @ 2:59 PM
dcsnick1
User since 4/8/08
While I was out running my dogs over in Footville I came upon a sunflower field that wasn't on the public land last year. It is off Orfordville/Hanover Rd if anyone is looking for a spot to hunt. Its a nice size too. Dnr put in some time on this 1.
9/5/14 @ 3:00 PM
DuckSlayin88
User since 9/13/11
Been out 2 nights in a row now and I am seeing low numbers of doves compared to years bast. I have never done well hunting them in the evening, but usually I see more than this. Will get out tomorrow morning and report back. What time of day do you guys do best?
9/3/14 @ 4:27 PM
DuckSlayin88
User since 9/13/11
Finally getting out tonight to whack some doves. I havent had much luck with public land since this season started years ago, so it took a lot of door knocking to land some private land and has produced for me year after year. Key for me is always a field edge under dead trees. No different than a power line, they like being able to see off into the distance. Mornings have always been better for me than evening. Anyone ever do dove drives or just stick to sitting?
9/2/14 @ 2:25 PM
dcsnick1
User since 4/8/08
The 1 field in Evansville off Cnty M/ Marsh Rd is now a big ass corn field. There were some sun flowers back NW of the parking lot a couple years ago but last year I don't remember seeing them.
9/1/14 @ 2:35 PM
lovestofishnhunt
PRO MEMBER User since 6/13/06
Went out today to a new piece of public land with great sunflowers and not a single other vehicle there. We had the whole property to ourselves. Set up the mojo and in they came. Great day of hunting.
8/31/14 @ 7:22 PM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01
Going tomorrow. Can't wait.
8/22/14 @ 4:24 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07
You can always check for privileges on a farm or at a private hunting club. It may cost a couple of dollars but the experience of hunting without a crowd of people is probably worth it. I don;t bother with the public fields anymore for dove. Too much hassle and probably dangerous.
8/22/14 @ 1:34 PM
Rempump
User since 5/8/03
I have been scouting the DNR fields and for the most part they are in sad condition. Many of the fields that were planted last year are not planted this year. The ones that were planted have varying levels of success. Some of sunflowers don't even have heads on them yet. Other fields are so weedy that the dove might not use them. I emailed the DNR and asked about the fields and they said the wet spring was to blame for the poor conditions. Your best bet for dove hunting will be finding a private land spot. The DNR fields that were successful will have 50-60 or more guys hunting them. I set a record last year, I saw 34 cars around 1 dove field. They were literally shoulder to shoulder. Guys were getting sprayed, birds were being taken by other hunters. It was a war zone. The best bet will be to get permission on a cut wheat field or some other crop. Public will be a mad house.
8/21/14 @ 5:30 PM
cooter2
User since 11/30/13
I looked on line and did some scouting. Looks like the DNR didn't plant squat for flowers this year. Sad Crying
8/20/14 @ 7:02 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07
DNR has a new online mapping program called FLIGHT that will help you find the best areas to hunt depending on the bird species. And I agree that scouting is half the fun. Good luck!
8/19/14 @ 3:28 PM
dcsnick1
User since 4/8/08
Last year a area in Evansville off Hwy M and Marsh Road had a few fields of sunflowers but 1 of the fields is corn now. The other fields I haven't gone back and checked on them yet. This is the only area that I know off that has had fields for Dove. I hunt Footville and Evansville area for pheasants.
8/18/14 @ 7:06 PM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06
No one will likely give away their honey hole, but if you check the DNR website you will find maps of lands managed for doves and private lands leases by the state for the same...............Part of the fun of hunting is scouting and finding a new spot. Get out and do some legwork, it's part of the experience!.................
Displaying 46 to 60 of 61 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE