MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

What did you get mounted this year?

12/11/07 @ 3:01 AM
INITIAL POST
Scott2
Scott2
User since 7/7/01
Personally I currently have a nice mature drake bufflehead, and a nice drake widgeon at the taxi as we speak, just curious as to what others have at the taxidermist from the 07' season.

Scott

Displaying 31 to 45 of 607 posts
11/14/19 @ 11:52 AM
Pete-pec
User since 4/2/06

Well thanks for the kind words. 

The reason I keep this a hobby is a couple reasons. One, as you learn through your mistakes, you improve upon the last, and I'm just trying to get better. More than half the time, observers are uneducated on what great work, good work, okay work, and poor work even is, and the gaps between them. I'm probably at the phase "okay work", and I'd like to see good work. Of course I'm getting better, but that's because (like most any bird taxidermist), I started at the bottom. Being self taught, it quite frankly takes longer to fix mistakes, because you don't realize you're making them lol. 

The other reason I keep this a hobby, is a have a great job. Pays well, and offers me a lot of free time to do my hobbies. Bird taxidermy being one of them. If I want some extra money, I go work overtime. It pays way more per hour, and it's easier lol. I don't think I can make per hour what I do at my job, and it seems counterproductive to take a hobby I love, and turn it into a chore, and make less money doing a job that's more work? People don't want to pay what you're worth in bird taxidermy, but they'll pay a mechanic or plumber 75 bucks an hour? They pay them willingly, because they can't fix the drain, or replace the alternator, and likewise they can't mount a duck? I wonder why they often scoff at the price (undersold by the way), at what a well mounted duck should cost? I have many friends in the business, and way better than I am, who should be charging 400 minimum in my opinion. This might come as a surprise, but I'd even go as far to say that a duck mount is more difficult to pull off than a deer, and people charge 600 easy for a shoulder mount, and most of them are just okay as well lol. 

So back to my hobby. As I get sick of a mount, and replace it with another bird, I just chuck them in the garbage and start again. There's not an excessive amount of money invested in parts (manikin, artificial head, and acrylic eyes), plus the other costs of masters blend for the feet, lacquer paints for the feet and bill, and other odds and ends, and for under 40 bucks you can mount one. Time on the other hand is where the cost is often not considered. As a hobby, I have that time. 

If anyone ever had a question along the way on anything that might help you want to try it, I'd be glad to help. That is something most people in the business will not do, because they feel it cuts their own throat. 

11/14/19 @ 8:45 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Fantastic Fowl showcase Pete-pec. Just awesome....really like that Pintail. 

11/13/19 @ 10:00 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Pete well done. I love looking at your work. It amazes me that you do this only as a hobby. I would love to learn how to do that but not sure I have the patience for it lol. Also I'm sure the wife would hate me cause she tells me I have enough birds on the wall already. Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to seen your next one.

11/13/19 @ 8:09 PM
Pete-pec
User since 4/2/06

Here's a Pacific flyway slam I put together for my collection. 

As noted, this is just a hobby. I don't mount birds for other people. 

11/4/19 @ 12:41 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08

Depends on where you take it.  It will range from $250 to $400.

Here are a couple of examples from Birdman Studios.....approx. $350 but he is a Master Waterfowl Taxidermist.  I have sent work to him before.

11/1/19 @ 4:42 PM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

last time I asked he doesn't do  mounts for people due to not being licensed.

11/1/19 @ 1:04 PM
BigBB
User since 1/4/08

Anybody know how to get in contact with Pete-Pec? I’d like to send some work his way.

Would like to know about prices, lead-time and location. Just message me.

Thanks

10/30/19 @ 4:29 PM
BigBB
User since 1/4/08

Pete-Pec,

Check messenger.

2/20/19 @ 10:37 PM
OB.3
User since 1/6/13

Just finished duck wall at new house. Hollywood and old squaw just got back. 

2/18/19 @ 3:17 PM
Pete-pec
User since 4/2/06

A pair of canvasbacks mounted on Valentine's day. 

1/31/19 @ 9:49 AM
Pete-pec
User since 4/2/06

Thanks Bowhunting Guy! Appreciate that. 

Here's a hooded merganser I shot here in Wisconsin. Mounted him in his spring courtship display.

1/30/19 @ 1:37 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

Gorgeous birds, Pete. I enjoy seeing your work. 

1/27/19 @ 11:55 AM
Pete-pec
User since 4/2/06

Thanks for the comment fish hound. 

Had a bit of time Friday to mount up this Texas blue-winged teal. He was hit hard. Both wings shattered, and two pellet holes through the crescent on his face. I hid it with a tiny ball of plucked cotton. 

1/22/19 @ 2:17 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Amazing work Pete!

1/22/19 @ 11:59 AM
Pete-pec
User since 4/2/06
A late season ringer in a swimming pose. 
Displaying 31 to 45 of 607 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE