SEARCH
MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

2017 Waterfowl Reports

1/1/17 @ 6:31 PM
INITIAL POST
Gander Dander
User since 4/15/09

2017 is here! Post your reports, conditions etc, here. Let us know what's going on!

Displaying 121 to 135 of 307 posts
11/12/17 @ 8:38 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Glad I'm middle aged lol. Freeguide I remember stacking up blue bills and mallards on some beach spots of lake michigan with a foot of snow. We dont see the blue bills like that anymore but the mallards yes. A few of my buddies that live an hour to an hour and half from said the birds are stacked up in there area and even in there far north spots of the southern zone.

11/12/17 @ 7:45 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

What about use middle aged guys?!

11/12/17 @ 7:01 PM
OnTheDeck15
User since 10/9/17
Yes it might be towards the end but there will still be a pile of snow and ice line birds to come. Also the age remark cracks me up. If you check this forum often you will see I have not had a problem harvesting birds this year. Also I have seen many older hunters overcall and sky blast right up with the younger guys. It all depends on who taught ya.
11/12/17 @ 6:22 PM
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13

ondeck

I used to decoy divers with milk jugs and blocks of wood painted white. lol

There are a few divers & mallards left. But Its 80% over.

been through it for many many years. and no its nothing like it used to be.

You younger guys will learn

i hope

11/12/17 @ 5:53 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15
Besides how great teal and wood ducks are for eating. I think so many people have such an obsession with them is that its easy hunting. Don' need to scout much since they are every where in high numbers and it takes no skill to decoy them. 
11/12/17 @ 4:22 PM
OnTheDeck15
User since 10/9/17
Lol at freeguide. I would hardly call november a lull. You must not venture much. More green heads and divers for the rest of us! I really do not understand peoples obsession with only shooting teal and wood ducks. I'm sick of it after opening weekend.
11/12/17 @ 1:57 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Mr. Seaguar yes on the pellet hitting band. 

11/12/17 @ 11:57 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Grizwald- is that a pellet strike on the band? And late season birds are so pretty, a great day you had.

11/12/17 @ 11:47 AM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Great morning for this guy. Started out very foggy and bustin ice. Didn't get to the spot I wanted. Still managed to wack a few! Wiffed on a couple for a limit. The goose dumped right in. Went to retrieve and lookie here it was banded! Seen a few goldeneyes and blue bills. Good luck all on last 9 days of northern zone.

2017 Waterfowl Reports photo by grizwald
11/12/17 @ 7:49 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Im spot on with freeguide. Migration for the most part is done , has been done for weeks. Peak puddler numbers were passing thru during the split as they do most years. Im referencing bird numbers along the mississippi corridor. I understand various areas around the state hold birds longer than others and scouting pays off if the time/resources are available. 

The season is structured to accommodate both early /late season hunters. Id take a week earlier opener and adjust the split timeframe as freeguide mentioned.  But those are my preferences and understand others have there own perspective.  As my aging wisdom grows, the joy of busting ice and putting a real hurt on the  equipment gets less and less : )

11/12/17 @ 12:18 AM
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13

There should be no split.  If there is it should be week before thanksgiving every year !!!! You guys that want to hunt super late are not the majority . Any split should be in november during the lull 

there are very few birds now compaired to 2 weeks ago.  Some mallards in isolated places . And a few divers and swans  pretty normal

11/11/17 @ 11:36 PM
thefishingboy
User since 9/11/04
Had a blind reserved on a bigger pond next to the refuge at Bong (s/e wisconsin) this morning. Showed up and she was all locked up with easily an inch or more of ice that did not want to break easily. Really sucked cause we saw soooo many mallards there last week.
11/11/17 @ 11:31 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10
Got out early afternoon today. Geese are all over the place and plenty of mallards. Seen some large flocks cruising around, just not over us today. Ended up taking home six geese and five mallards. 
11/11/17 @ 11:13 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15
Sounds like some of the northern boys are scared of some windshield time. Just cause you live in the northren zone doesn't mean thats where you have to hunt. I got the northern twice a year normally.
11/11/17 @ 10:18 PM
Brad
User since 6/19/01

The funniest thing I have read on this thread in a bit... "Grizzwald, I think you need to do a little scouting..."  

For the record, I don't know Mr. Grizwald, but having watched this site for several years, one thing I can say with confidence is that he puts in the time necessary to know what is going on.

Displaying 121 to 135 of 307 posts

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE