MORE
Turkey Hunting

2017 Bird Reports

4/18/17 @ 4:23 PM
INITIAL POST
Vermeeson
Vermeeson
User since 1/22/02

Congrats to all involved in the youth hunt. Let's start with Period A and follow the season with Hunting reports, conditions, pics of birds killed. Good luck to everyone!

Displaying 31 to 45 of 74 posts
5/12/17 @ 11:56 PM
joeywadu
User since 5/13/02

Finally got it done on this bruiser this morning...put them to bed last night and drew up a game plan to slip in and put put my home made strutting Tom decoy...at flydown he saw the deke immediately and was not happy...worked his way from 150 yards to 25 gobbling... strutting..and running at the deke...at 25 yards the mxb320 slipped a bolt right through his neck....largest bird I ever shot at 28lbs...11" beard and,1.3" spurs.

Wadu

2017 Bird Reports photo by joeywadu
5/12/17 @ 6:29 AM
g1hunting
g1hunting
User since 10/20/09

another great night out hunting filled my tag! nice bird 10 inch beard 3/4 spurs. its been one heck of a season 6-0 taking friends and family out so far hope we can keep it!!!

5/11/17 @ 2:50 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Late report...I had a permit for last week and it was a strange season for me. I hunted Thursday through Sunday from daylight until early afternoon each day. At first light the birds would not gobble. 3 out of the 4 days I hunted I didn't hear a gobble until almost 7AM. Don't know if they were that henned up or what? Seriously, not a gobble from the limb within a mile. Weird. Did get a bird Sunday morning...just set up in a pasture they like to strut in and called every 15 minutes. He came in silent and never strutted. 22.5# with 10.5" beard and 7/8" spurs.

2017 Bird Reports photo by Master_Piker
5/11/17 @ 11:02 AM
g1hunting
g1hunting
User since 10/20/09

Great night out in the rain! took the wife out and she got her first bird. not a huge tom but a great first kill. 

5/11/17 @ 7:02 AM
BROWNING 1972
User since 2/10/12

Lots of gobbling all day yesterday. Finally got three Tom's to come at about two in afternoon. My son and I tried to double he got his and mine jump out of the way. 22.6 lbs 10 & 1/4 beard. On the plus side besides the proud moment of watching your son get his Tom, found 15 big morels. This morning the turkeys were coming on other side of ditch line all of the sudden they start making all kinds of noise then quite. Then coyote comes around the corner a couple of dying rabbit calls stops looks at hen decoy crouches down comes straight to it a load of number six longbeards and one less turkey killer.?? But now the farm is silent may have to change farms.

5/9/17 @ 1:55 PM
g1hunting
g1hunting
User since 10/20/09

few more pics 

2017 Bird Reports photo by g1hunting
5/9/17 @ 1:46 PM
g1hunting
g1hunting
User since 10/20/09

Ive had a blast taking friends and family out this year 4-4 as of now, with a young new hunter taking his first bird and first ever hunting kill!!!!! This week the wife and i will be trying to tag out. Birds are active and have been coming at my tom decoy hard!! id say this past week has been the peak of it. Good luck to all. 

2017 Bird Reports photo by g1hunting
5/7/17 @ 7:25 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

That's a dandy. Congrats. 

Tim

5/7/17 @ 6:27 PM
gadabout
User since 12/26/04

Been after this Tom for four afternoons. He finally made his mistake by coming within 15 feet of me. He always showed himself between 2:30 and 3:30 in the afternoon and was always in the same area walking. Every time I thought I had him pegged he would come out in a different spot. Had him pegged today. I looked over my shoulder and there he was standing. He knew something was not right and started to walk away and then he stuck his head up about 20 to 25 feet away and the game was over. He weighed 27 pounds, has a 11 1/2 inch beard with 1 3/8 inch spurs.

2017 Bird Reports photo by gadabout
5/4/17 @ 5:13 PM
grady
User since 11/27/02

Helped call for a good friend of mine this morning.  First time turkey hunting and he connects on this 23lb gobbler with a double beard. Only had 3/4 inch spurs.  What a great morning to be out in Washington County.  My buddy is addicted now, he wants to come out next weekend with me.  

2017 Bird Reports photo by grady
5/4/17 @ 1:24 PM
hoytpower
User since 7/21/05

This guy tried to sneak by me silent. 22# 11" beard 1 1/4" spurs.My first spring Tom.

5/3/17 @ 4:35 PM
thermo-klein
User since 6/17/01

This is the 3rd year my daughter got to play "hookey" on her birthday and turkey hunt with me.  

Forgot the decoys at home & realized when we got there I only had 1 shell in my vest!  Changed up our original plan and set up unknowingly within 150 yds of 4 toms.  3 long-beards came from the left and one from the right.  Done by 6 a.m.  23#, 11 1/8" beard and 1" spur.  Her first tag is in two weeks!

5/1/17 @ 9:35 PM
Wingbone1
User since 10/28/15

Had some time to get myself out on Saturday. Set up on field edge 100 yards from birds in tree. Had one hen and strutting Tom decoys. Hens flew down walked by decoy set with no stopping. Tom comes out from woods Heads straight for decoys. Let him get 25 yards. Just under 24 lbs; 10 1/4 beards 1 1/8 spus. Lot of nice birds this year. Have to wait 2 more weeks before next week tag. 

5/1/17 @ 9:25 PM
Wingbone1
User since 10/28/15

Took son out 2 nd week. Had four toms gobbling there heads off less than a 100 yards from are set up. Here birds fly down still gobbling. Had two toms come out to field in front and the other two flanked us. Mad a few calls both toms see hen decoy one runs back in woods, and the other one comes running to decoy.   Let the bird get to decoy and make a good shot. 23 lbs 9 1/2 beard 3/8 inch spurs

5/1/17 @ 9:13 PM
Wingbone1
User since 10/28/15

Took daughter out for 1st week for her tag. Had a nice Tom come in hot to two hen decoys at 7 am . Well placed shot at 20 yards. 24 1/ 2 pounds 10 1/4 beard 1 1/8 Spurs 

Displaying 31 to 45 of 74 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE