LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

The weather is warm! The ice is dangerous!

3/12/19 @ 3:42 PM
INITIAL POST
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Once again, it is that time of the year when people are worried about the ice when it gets a bit warm. In my area, ice is 16 to 20 inches at this time. I'm all for peoples safety. But there always seems to be some unnecessary worry or even panic about the ice this time of the year. From your experience,  when is it time to really be careful,  and at what point should people stay off the ice?

Displaying 16 to 30 of 43 posts
3/25/19 @ 4:20 PM
Poppster
Poppster
User since 2/15/19

Summerfest... really??? Wow, I went for a dip on Friday in Racine cnty...  My season is done and will be in Ireland for the crappie spawn...  I'm bummed

3/25/19 @ 10:13 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Things are just heating up in the northwoods. Two guys with 11 crappies over 14" and 3 over 15" this weekend. Best day of fishing that I'll probably never experience again. Shorelines are getting soft but still 2'+ of solid ice on the main lake. Late ice at its finest!

The weather is warm! The ice is dangerous! photo by Junkie4Ice
3/25/19 @ 10:06 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Yes I am sad to say my ice days for the year are over.  Until next ice season, guess I have to put up with open water!!

3/24/19 @ 8:18 AM
wisconsincanman
wisconsincanman
User since 12/11/18
I was out yesterday in the Tomahawk area trying for walleyes,  a good 30" of ice, first 6-8" was a bit soft, after that was real good, easy walking, no slush, or snow.
3/23/19 @ 7:39 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Still good 24 inches under top two that is getting soft. sawyer county.

3/23/19 @ 2:24 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

The sky might be falling but: today out on Winnebago (by AsylumBay), we drilled holes in ice that had about three inches of honeycombed ice (corn) on the top, some good ice, then the rest had tunneling from the bottom, up. No one drove out. Everyone walked out and a working crack stopped us cold. We were too chicken to try and cross it!...brawwwk!  On the way back my buddy crashed some ice in the shallows by shore.

3/16/19 @ 10:54 AM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Shorelines are getting bad on north side accesses. May have to go to lakes with south side access or bring a plank. Main lake ice is plenty safe in Waukesha co. Lakes

3/14/19 @ 1:06 PM
Ajpep
User since 3/13/19

Wanting to go out of little sturgeon bay saturday morning. Wondering if anyone knows if its going to be  safe/ doable with atvs. Thanks.

3/14/19 @ 8:59 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

beanbag, I'd just wait for the hole to re-freeze and drive right over that.

3/13/19 @ 5:33 PM
beanbag
User since 12/17/09

There is a big hole where a truck went through on Wednesday and was wondering what distance would you give to drive around it safely?

3/13/19 @ 1:32 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
I'll usually keep ice fishing until either the shorelines are bad or the main lake's ice has big chunks of ice coming up as you drill and has craters on the top of the surface.  Last year someone put a plank out onto the ice and the main lake was fine for almost two weeks after the shorelines went bad (Madison area lakes), some years I've been out on lakes until a day or two before they open up.  Most ice can hold up pretty good long as there are no strong winds to break it up.
3/13/19 @ 1:23 PM
Bwrez63
User since 3/13/19

Thanks all! I am learning so I appreciate the advice. If I go I'll prob hoof it and hope for the best.

3/13/19 @ 1:09 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

Some are saying that they're worried about safe ice after a couple of 40 degree days and rain, I'm worried about safe ice on May 4th.

3/13/19 @ 11:04 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

This always makes me just chuckle. 

Ice is very resilient. It takes a long time to melt. Many warm days are needed. Everyone's definition of safe is different, but once the shorelines go, usually the main shelf is fine for a while. It all depends on how long someone wants to keep going out, kind of getting a feel for it as the season progresses. There is no formula or exact science to "safe" but those of us who fish late ice just kind of know when it's time to say "Done."

I've fallen in twice. But, both at Lake Puckaway in less than 5 feet of water. It wasn't fun. But, pretty easy to get out of those situations. No way would I have been on deep water in late conditions like I was on Puckaway. Kind of live and learn. One of the benefits of going fishing now is that the trucks are not going to be present in most of the state, then a few weeks later, the 4 wheelers, then fewer and fewer are willing to foot travel. So, the numbers get lower and more water to ourselves. 

I will say this, first ice is safer than people realize. That's good hard new ice. Doesn't take much to get me out there. I don't do anything dumb, but it's ready before many people think. Late ice is a bit more of a science and "get a feel for it" situation. Gotta use your eyes and thinking skills a lot. Still then, there is always risk....just like driving in a car everyday. Stuff can happen. 

3/13/19 @ 9:08 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Depends on the fishing of course! Another 3ish weeks and the floatation/safety gear comes back out. If the bite (stays) hot, ice is safe until you can't access it via waders or until you fall through that first time. Best fishing of the season, gotta do what you gotta do!

Is bago really ever "safe" for driving? I know I never feel comfortable driving out there the one or two times a year I fish it.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 43 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE