MORE
Ice Fishing

Augers

10/10/23 @ 3:34 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Eskimo under 14 pounds with their new model. Very tempting. Thought my Ion at 22 or 23 pounds was light. 

What auger do you have or want these days? 

Displaying 31 to 45 of 78 posts
12/29/23 @ 4:17 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Interesting that it went down a notch after 180" of ice when they claim up to 1300" of ice on one charge. Curious to see how it holds up with 2'+ of ice (if we ever get there lol) based on that. With a short ice fishing season, I'm betting there will be some good end of the year deals on this year's new products.
12/29/23 @ 2:23 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Still loving the new Eskimo! About 30 holes yesterday. 6 inches of ice. Never slowed down. Smooth. 3 of 4 power dots on the lake on the battery.  4 of 4 when I got home. Didn’t take long to recharge. 
12/18/23 @ 10:41 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I think the Jiffy Rogue is a piece of crap.  Anyone want to buy it?  LOL

I broke 3 of the flights the first year.  Also one was broke in the box when I opened it.  They replaced them all, but that was my first sign I guess.  The direction button was also backwards (didn't realize it when I first looked) and when I questioned it, they said they knew and it was intentional.   I forget their reasoning, but basically I have to set it to Reverse to drill a hole...  The number of holes advertised wasn't right either.  Even if I count half the holes I drilled where it constantly stops because the battery can't handle it anymore, but the indicator says its still half charged.  That got annoying pretty quickly...start, stop, start, stop.  Not only that, you just look stupid when its happening.

My dad has a Strikemaster 40v and I prefer that one.  Never broke anything and I think we got more holes out of it.  It drilled constantly until the batteries were weak too, none of the start/stop crap the Jiffy did.

I also have a Strikemaster Honda Lite 4 stroke gas auger.  As far as gas augers go, that is my favorite one.  Its light (in the name), metal auger, fairly quiet, 4 stroke is nice.  I kept it as my backup if I forget to charge batteries or if I fish somewhere that I know I'll need a lot of holes through thick ice.

12/16/23 @ 8:58 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Put the new Eskimo e 40 10 inch auger to work today. 
About 35 holes( trying to find weeds)
5 inches of ice. 40 degrees. Wouldn’t expect any issues. And it worked flawlessly. Cut very fast. Went down to three out of four dots on the power indicator by the end of the day. 

Bigger tests await in the future. But I can say this, walking around with an auger for maybe 30 minutes drilling all over, it sure helps to have only 14 pounds in my hand.
12/11/23 @ 9:30 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Very impressed by the new E40, was able to check it out this weekend. Still don't see a need to switch from a drill combo, but if I were in the market that is the one I would be eyeing up
12/11/23 @ 4:44 AM
Gman762
Gman762
User since 1/10/21
We can get some ice any time now.
Augers photo by Gman762
12/10/23 @ 12:34 PM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20
I also bought the e40 10" got mine from Frank's great outdoor store they included a2nd battery and xtra blades which were ion turbo blades which are for the ion alpha which I was skeptical if the blades would be the same but after I set it up the blades are identical to the ones on the e40. Also the alpha and the e40 look pretty similar except the e40 cost alot less. I still have my jiffy 4g and 46 extreme which are great as well just both are more than double the weight of the e40. But I get it everyone likes a certain type or brand or type so if it works for you keep at it cause really how much time do you actual spend drilling holes. A couple of years ago I was always saying I'd never go electric but you get older and smarter.
12/9/23 @ 7:16 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
You will love the E40 composite! 
Aren’t the fins cool? Caught me off guard! 
12/9/23 @ 4:59 AM
Gman762
Gman762
User since 1/10/21
Pulled the trigger on the Eskimo 8" Composite. Weight is a big priority after 6 back surgeries. They insist the unit will drill 1300 inches of ice on a single charge. My math says that is 50+ holes in 24 inches of ice. My average trip on the waters I fish will see me cut 1-20 holes. Have a Milwaukee M18 Fuel with 6" & 7" augers as backup, with a total 18AH of batteries. Just need some ice. 
12/8/23 @ 6:48 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06
Someday I'll probably get an Ion. No need to yet. Been using the Clam plate for 8 years. I remember people saying the bearings were crap. Well all I can say is, I've drilled many thousands of holes with the Clam plate and no issues.  I don't have a Milwaukee or Dewalt drill on the Clam plate, just an ancient Ryobi hammer drill, from back before they were brushless. I usually do drill 6 inch hole, sometimes 8 inch when after bigger quarry. Have pulled 32 inch carp and 34 inch catfish thru 8 inch hole, so i dont feel the need to go bigger. The old Ryobi is still going strong.  I keep 3  4h batteries in a small cooler,  
No heat assist. Most days I drill 60 to 80 holes, I'm a run and gun guy, don't even use a shanty once some years. Milwaukee or Dewalt would probably drill holes a bit faster,  but it's not keeping me from getting lots of fish. All I'm saying is, you can catch a ton of fish without spending big bucks on hole drilling.  That being said, when my cheap stuff finally wears out, I'll probably get the Ion, now that prices are pretty reasonable 
Augers photo by jaybeeturtle
12/8/23 @ 2:19 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06
Junkie…The guides I referred to work for one of the largest resorts on LOTW. Money isn’t an issue. The issue is that they don’t perform in the conditions that exist on that body of water. 
As far as efficiency over the time on the ice, we drill quite a few holes through the ice and snow that I described earlier. The gas auger has no problem performing this with a minimal amount of fuel. They are heavier than any electric and we bring a small sled to drag it around between holes. The sled also will carry the equipment and bait we need to set up each hole. The weight isn’t really the issue. It’s the size of the 40” auger bit with an 18” extension and power head that makes the use of a sled an easier task. Especially when you’re walking through 16”-20” of snow cover. 
You’ll get no argument from me about how nice the electric auger’s are here in Wisconsin, but when the conditions require the use of heavier equipment the gas augers are the best option. 
12/8/23 @ 1:50 PM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
We’ve used our electric set up numerous times in the Dakotas chasing perch. Start the day with two fully charged batteries keeping 1 in the vehicle so it stays somewhat warn. Never have we used up two batteries & following perch means drilling a lot of holes. Just citing our experience. 
12/8/23 @ 11:16 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Zman - what's the benefit of gas over electric? The ability to drill a ton of holes on one tank of gas? That's great, with that much ice you aren't concerned with number of holes. The question is whether an electric auger will do the job for a single day and they absolutely will and save your back and shoulders at the same time. Sure, if you're going to be ice fishing for a weekend with no electricity obviously gas is better. But again, 3 batteries for the ion alpha (or whichever you prefer) will get anyone through one day. Recharge and start again.

It's a heck of a lot cheaper to have 15 gas augers than it is 15 electric augers. You can find an old jiffy that runs pristine for $50, I even see them for free occasionally. So of course some guides will still be using them. If they had unlimited money, I'd bet their sheds would look a bit different.
12/7/23 @ 11:31 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Someone asked about the new Eskimo. E40 composite. 10 inch. Simply awesome. So fast and light. 14 pounds… so easy… It carries around like nothing.
I’ve only had to drill about 14 holes in about 4 inches of ice. So I’m not sure how many holes it’ll drill and how strong the battery will be. But my Ion Gen 1 was great. And this has got to be an upgrade 10 years later.

Electric augers will handle almost every situation. 
I had 30 inches of ice. 8 inch auger. Or even possibly my 10 inch since I had and used both bits…Ion Gen 1 a couple of years ago. 20 holes strong. 5-8 more drilled with a battery getting lower on power…was fine. If you need more holes than that- and a 10 inch hole-maybe then gas. But, the new electrics are even stronger than that Ion was. Get a back up battery if any concern. My opinion.

And I too do miss the sound of gas augers firing up. That’s part of ice fishing tradition.
12/7/23 @ 6:16 PM
Mendota Jim
User since 7/1/02
Yes, I've only been to LOTW once but that is the major leagues of ice fishing.  F-350 plow with 40 ft Ice Castle is standard rig.  Illinois and Southern WI are sandlots in comparison.  I just picked up a 2-cycle Clam gas auger with 8" Mora curved blade for Kids Ice Fishing Day.  Gas augers have their strengths and drilling several hundred for an event is one of them, just as heavy, thick ice/snow.  For myself I use a Clam Plate and have been fine for ten years with their 6" curved blade with center point steel flighting.  I have studied new flightings and just got a Razr Synthetic Lite 6" with ice wings.  They are welded on the curved blade/center point solid steel head and help with break through torque and re-drilling old holes.  Comes with two orange spare plastic flutes and uses the same Strikemaster Lazer and Clam blades.  I won't comment until I use it but the company was the manufacturer for Strikemaster in the many years before Rapala acquired it and Clam, which is the gas auger, same as the Solo powerhead.  The warranty is three years which says something.  I know guys love the K-drill but I'm just so used to shaving, not chipping I guess.  The many offerings give us choices to get the style we prefer.
Displaying 31 to 45 of 78 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE