MORE
General Discussion

The up north thread

8/26/16 @ 12:47 AM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Tidbits and News related to northern Wisconsin. 
Displaying 76 to 90 of 5,318 posts
3/6/24 @ 6:35 PM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
Thanks G for clarifying.  I’m a stickler to detail(s).  
3/6/24 @ 6:31 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06
I trust Clueless
I’m going with probable Wolf kill. 
3/6/24 @ 6:21 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
I had disease.  So u want a breakdown of diseases that could kill deer?

CWD
EHD
Brain Abscess
A few other weird and rare diseases
3/6/24 @ 5:22 PM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
U forgot CWD.   
3/6/24 @ 4:50 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Misplaced bullet
Misplaced arrow
Misplaced bolt
Disease
Poaching
Poisoning
Car hit
Coyote
Bobcat
Mountain lion
Wolf

Could be any number of things that lead to dead animals
3/6/24 @ 4:17 PM
doorman
clueless
User since 10/24/04
I have been taking advantage of the snow free woods and taking the dogs on long walks on state lands. The ticks are out. Pulled one off of me and the dogs have had several, we had to start there tick treatments early this year.
Today we found a probable wolf kill. All that remained was a portion of the skull and the jawbone.
The up north thread photo by clueless
The up north thread photo by clueless
3/6/24 @ 3:15 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
I know this is about Up North Wisconsin; however, the discussion regarding old trees reminded me of a day trip we took during crappy weather a few years back while up on Leech Lake, MN. The Lost 40 is an area that was apparently mistakenly surveyed incorrectly and there are a bunch of VERY old trees still growing. It really makes you feel pretty small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things.  
3/5/24 @ 10:43 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Thanks SM. Fascinating stuff! I sent you a PM. 
3/5/24 @ 10:25 PM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03
Neat stuff SM, thanks for sharing.
The big trees in my area along the Peshtigo River are rare because when the big Peshtigo Fire happened in 1871 these few trees that survived were in the river bottoms and didn't burn.
3/5/24 @ 7:42 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08
FWIW,
I did also find this vintage 2-man crosscut logging saw blade half buried in the ground near that general area.  I left it just where I found it.  I didn't feel right unearthing it and taking it home.  So, it is still there.
The up north thread photo by SuspendedMusky
3/5/24 @ 3:54 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
The tree stumps are very likely from that era.  The specific species could also be Eastern Hemlock.  They are more resistant to decay than a white pine.  The only way that I know how to tell the difference would be to take a sample and look at it under a microscope.
3/5/24 @ 3:36 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09
Could they be white pine stumps from the 1880's logging era?
3/5/24 @ 3:07 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
n.pike,
I can tell you that it is located in an area that I have always called "the valley of giants."  A very special place to me. There are/were numerous large coniferous tree stumps there that ranged in size from 48" to 60+" DBH.  I've known about this spot since 1976-77.  The picture I posted was taken in 2020 and there was a lot of degradation over that 45 year period.  I always thought these stumps were from circa 1900 +/- a few years.  Most had some evidence of fire damage (visible 40 plus years ago, not so anymore).

Below is a pic of the circumference measurement I took of the "Sentinel" slightly above ground level in 2020.  That measurement was 23 ft.  Thus, the ground level diameter calculates to 7.3 ft.  If I remember correctly, the exposed root arm to root arm spread across the center of the tree was 11 ft in one area.  So, it was a true monster.  I can only picture what that stand of timber looked like 130 years ago in my mind's eye.
The up north thread photo by SuspendedMusky
3/5/24 @ 12:59 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
SM-
Brian, the forest manager that was ice fishing with us on Saturday, is really intrigued by the tree you posted. Do you have any more info? He knows all about state record trees and such and is curious  (unless it’s a personal secret..) 
That tree is awesome by the way! 
3/3/24 @ 9:30 PM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03
SM,  I can appreciate that, here's a pic of a tree on my land I took two years ago. A 14 foot circumference Maple and my two daughters and two grand daughters couldn't reach around it. Sadly it went down last winter.
The up north thread photo by Polski
Displaying 76 to 90 of 5,318 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE