MORE
Fishing Equipment

Confidence bait

5/1/17 @ 9:46 AM
INITIAL POST
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02

Whats your favorite lure?  The one you almost always have on no matter what?  I love the two smallest sizes of husky jerks in silver/black.  I have a buddy that almost exclusivly throws a #4 aglia in red and white.  No bucktail.  Whats yours?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 28 posts
6/4/17 @ 12:32 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Lime and chartreuse #3 blade 2 hook spinner behind a bottom bouncer. I can live with Indiana or Colorado, stripe or splash, 5 of diamonds. 

6/1/17 @ 10:47 PM
goju
User since 12/30/10

Orange and gold Original Rapala either 7 or 11 size.

5/30/17 @ 5:27 PM
Walleydreaming
Walleydreaming
User since 8/5/08

Beer, hands down is my favorite confidence lure/bait. I have full confidence in Bush Light or Labatts Light. They are both pretty equal in increasing my fishing enjoyment. 

Seriously: a mepps #5 for Northern with red and white. Works every time regardless of location. 

Perch colored crank never fails to catch fish. 

Homemade crawler harnesses or slow death rigs with hooks I bend myself behind bottom bouncer (favorite).

Blade baits in spring or late fall. 

A big sucker under a bobber with a Z Rig. 

Now you have all of my deepest secrets. 

5/22/17 @ 9:22 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

The chewed up bait has the same size hardware on it as it did when purchased.  I have tinkered a bit with the other ones I have but have found that it's a bit easier to tweak their action by using them on different types of rods and different types and lengths of leaders.  That way the bait itself retains many of it's "crescent wrench" type characteristics.  

I got my hands on a pile of original ERC DDD blanks.  There are nuances between the ERC baits and the ones made since Drifter took them over. I've also fished a number of times with the guy who originally designed the DDD and the Hellhound and that gave me some insight into what type of experimentation went into these things and what the original theory was behind them.  

If you really want to modify one and make it the best triggering bait you might ever have just grind the side fins off of the tail.  That makes those things suspend nose down, tail down, on their side, and everything in between...but casting one that is modified like that will drive you nuts.  Without those fins on there they foul up once every 4 or 5 casts when you work them back in.  I have one with those fins ground off that is used exclusively as a throw back lure never tossing it more than 15 feet away from the boat.  That way I can keep an eye on it and manipulate it so it doesn't foul up as as often.  That particular one is as close to a sure bet as I have in terms of getting a follower to eat at boat side.  They just can't turn something with the type of action it has down.  

5/16/17 @ 8:42 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

Grizwald,

That's just a standard 9" DDD. The "clean" one is orange tiger and was from the post Esox Research era. The scarred one is an ERC original and it does run different. I have about a dozen or so DDD's and all of them have their own unique attitude. The scarred one does some really funky stuff like flipping on it's back, laying on it's side, etc and it is very slightly positive bouyant giving it a perfect "death rise."

5/16/17 @ 7:23 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

ulbian: what lure is it? what size, i like it!

5/16/17 @ 11:18 AM
plumwerm
User since 3/25/10

Wacky rigged 5 in. Senko. Pick a color.

5/15/17 @ 10:29 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
The DDD in the pic with the hook rash.  It has well over 100 muskies to it's credit in all types of conditions.  
5/8/17 @ 11:38 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04

1/4 ounce shakey head and 4 inch paddletail

5/7/17 @ 12:50 PM
MuskyMamma
User since 7/23/07

For musky my topwater go to bait is a Bucher Topraider in Loon color. If topwater not working that day then a Shallow Bulldawg, black with orange tail. Always been a winner.

Walleye, a white twister tai or jig and leech combo.

If going for LM bass, a Texas rigged motor oil colored worm works great. SM bass, a large leech hooked once and free falling in the water is deadly.

Northern pike, any kind of large flashy spoon with some sort of trailer hooked on it. I usually use Uncle Josh pork rind, frog color. Northerns are suicidal...they usually hit anything.

As for crappie and panfish, usually a slip bobber with hooked with any of the following: small minnows, leeches, waxworms or redworms. 

Tight lines to all!

5/6/17 @ 8:55 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

The OP nailed mine with the Aglia.  Mainly for pike but I've had walleye and even large crappies take it.

5/5/17 @ 10:28 PM
diver hunter 1987
User since 9/29/09

Bass-4inch senko in green pumpkin rigged weedless. Musky-black gold marabou mepps musky killer.  Pike- black silver blade spinnerbait. Walleye-green 1/8oz jig and leech. Panfish-white with green head mini mite under a bobber.  If I had to only use 1 bait for every fish it would be that 4 inch senko I've caught all the fish listed above on that thing.  But buying new baits is half the fun.  Paddler hit the nail on the head ballast 800$ of ballast haha.

5/5/17 @ 7:21 PM
thefishingboy
User since 9/11/04

speed fishing and covering ground i always throw a spro rattle trap jr. (walleye, bass, pike) or a lethal weapon black/blue or green pumpkin orange swim jig with respective color kalins twisters (bass/pike). Panfish its a small jig and crawler or crappie minnow.

before my love for taps and swim jigs it was a 3 or 4 inch storm curly tail plastic minnow

5/5/17 @ 12:42 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

White mepps spinner 3,4,5 most consistent lure I've known bass walleye northern and crappie 

5/5/17 @ 8:33 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

Cotton Cordell "Big O" 2.25" Crawdad color. Keep 20 of them in the box. Always have to give 1 or 2 away so the other people in the boat can keep up. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 28 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE