SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Manion Lake

5/21/12 @ 12:20 PM
INITIAL POST
Coyote Hunter
User since 2/1/12
I just booked a five day stay at Hyatt's Manion Lake Lodge, from August 5th - 10th. I was there a few years ago in June as that is where we ended a Boy Scouts canoe trip. We fished a littlle there so I know there are big Smallies and abundant Walleye. Can anyone share any other info. We are not into fishing much but this is a birthday present for my son and I think this might just get him hooked on fishing. Do I need special permission from my wife to cross into Canada with my son? I know we needed it for the scouts. We are bringing our own boat and any tips on live bait versus artificial would be appreciated.
Displaying 76 to 90 of 259 posts
7/19/18 @ 5:05 PM
Lawn Guy 65
User since 2/20/18

Thanks FH

Yes you will. Are you staying at Pettit? We tent camped there when I was a kid. It is a nice spot.

7/19/18 @ 4:52 AM
fishhook
fishhook
PRO MEMBER User since 9/16/01

Safe travels LG65,

see you in 35 days!

7/19/18 @ 4:47 AM
Lawn Guy 65
User since 2/20/18

Thanks Cub,

I'll give it a try. Will report back.

7/18/18 @ 10:27 PM
Cub
User since 9/4/02

Hey LG65,

It's a pretty simple method, I'll try and explain it the best I can.  It will work with walleye and smalley, I like it with pike and of course lake trout.

For 2 fillets trout:

Leave the skin on the fillets. Place the amount of foil needed for the fillets on the grill and fold up the sides slightly.  Preheat gas grill to medium for 10 minutes. Lay the fillets on the foil.  Mix together 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 small clove fresh garlic minced, 2 large leaves fresh basil sliced fine, 2 tsp honey.  Drizzle the dressing over the fillets with a spoon.  Sprinkle Old Bay Seasoning over all of the fillets to your taste.  Close lid and check in about 10-15 minutes.  Depending on the thickness of the fillets, the time will vary.  The fish will flake and start to pull away slightly on the sides.  When done, use a spatula and lift the meat from the skin.  The skin should stick to the grill.  I usually scrape away the brown flesh that is in between the meat and skin.  Serve it with a squeeze of fresh lemon!  Pay attention and watch for pin bones that run the length of the fillet.

For Walleye, Smallmouth and Northern Pike:

Remove any skin and bones, including the pesky Y bones from the pike.  Again, place the foil over the grill.  Drizzle olive oil on the foil and spread it around. Place the fillets on the foil and drizzle the dressing over and season just like I described for the trout.  The cook time will likely be a little less, and the fish will flake apart when done.  The fillets should lift easily off the foil.  

The foil should be carefully folded for a quick clean up.

Either of these methods could be completed in a 350* oven on a sheet pan if needed.

I hope this helps, have a great trip.  Cub

7/18/18 @ 8:31 PM
Lawn Guy 65
User since 2/20/18

Hey Cub,

I'm a big balsamic, olive oil guy. Would you share your recipe? Does it work with Walley & Smallies? Heading back to camp Fri, 

Thanks

7/1/18 @ 8:56 PM
Cub
User since 9/4/02

Here is my fishing report for June 20-24 2018.

We had a memorable trip to Manion, Pettit and Mount lakes.  The weather was really hot, with upper 80's and solid sun and humidity while we were there.  It may have had some influence on the catching, but none the less, we caught plenty.  The water temps hung around 78* and the winds came from all directions during the week @5-8 mph. 

We slow trolled with spinner rigs with gold or chartreuse blades in 9-15 feet of water @ 1 mph off of points and mid lake structure.  We did have some success on some shorelines with steep breaks as well.  We targeted walleye mostly, but always ended up with a mixed bag of eating size walleye, northern and perch.  For our fish meals in camp, we ate northern and perch and boy were they delicious!  Fish tacos are likely my favorite meal in Canada.  We didn't target bass, but when we did run into them, they were all really nice sized in the 18" or better range.  We caught and released a fair number of 18-24" walleyes on Pettit and Mount and also caught a few lake trout trolling 2 mph with spoons and snap weights over deep water.  We grilled the trout with olive oil, balsamic and old bay seasoning.  So simple, but holy smokes were those awesome!

I am going to bring some perch rods next trip and try to target them over the mud flats on Manion.  We did mark some nice schools and the average size is getting better.  

As always, Don, Brenda and Alex are excellent hosts and go out of their way to help you out if needed!

Thanks Fishhook and C-Eagle for leaving a little oil for us at Mount lake camp, you saved our butts!  It's always fun talking a little before the trip and planning our unplugged decompression on the Canadian Shield Lakes!

Out,

Cub

7/1/18 @ 8:34 PM
fishhook
fishhook

Canada fishing report for the week of June 15-23

DESTINATION: Hyatts Mount lake outpost camp

WEATHER: first 3 days we had temps in the low 70's with some rain,& wind. The rest of the week temps shot up to the middle/high 80's with sunny sky's,& very little wind. Water temp rose from 67°,to 76°.

BUGS: mosquitoes were bothersome mornings,& nights. No flies of any kind.

WALLEYES: the bite was fair to good,as they were on the move. We just moved around till you found them,& it was game on with jig/live bait,Carolina rig,or spinners. Color-gold or chartreuse.

LAKE TROUT: was a good bite going on in 125' of water,150'-175' back with a 5oz snap weight,& spoon. 1.6-1.7mph was key. Color-gold or chartreuse.

SMALLIES: the bass bite was on fire,& the bass got bigger as the week went on. Awesome top water bite in 3'-10' of water on the rocks. Color-gold or chartreuse.

PIKE: didn't target pike as we caught them fishing for walleyes, and bass. 

The 4 of us had a great week of fishing,& friends while staying at Hyatt's outpost camp. We also got to meet the new guys staying in the cabin next door. Their a great bunch of guys who will be coming back up next June. Also,got to see LG65's new island resort.

Back up to Hyatts outpost camp in 54 days!

6/11/18 @ 8:30 PM
fishhook
fishhook

Good to see you have help getting docks in!

we will be stopping in to say hi,& see the new island resort!

6/11/18 @ 8:26 PM
Lawn Guy 65
User since 2/20/18

Thanks for the info. There will be 3 of us and my dog. Should be at Hyatt's around 11 AM. See you then

6/11/18 @ 7:52 PM
fishhook
fishhook

Hey LG65

Yes,4 more days till Canadian Shield fishing!(vino)

how many guys in your group this week/next week?

i use AccuWeather for Mine Centre,Ont. Fort Frances works too,close enough for me,as weather guessers can't predict anything more than 3 days out,lol.

see you soon,safe travels!

6/11/18 @ 7:36 PM
Lawn Guy 65
User since 2/20/18

Hey FH & CE

Which weather site, if any do you use for the Manion lake system? I have been using Weather Underground and I tried Weather Bug. They are about 180 degrees apart for this weekend. Just wondering if you found one that seems to be accurate

4 more days

6/9/18 @ 12:28 PM
C Eagle
C Eagle
User since 8/10/13

Hey Cub - Looking forward to seeing you when we come out on Friday the 22nd.  Good Luck and Stay Safe!!

6/8/18 @ 10:09 PM
Cub
User since 9/4/02

Gents, I'll be there the Wednesday after!  Let's hope for some fishy weather.  Walleye chowder, Pike tacos, shore lunch complete with Bannock Bread! stoked for a little recharge.  Hope to see you Fish Hook and C-Eagle!  Good luck to all and safe travels.  Cub, out.

6/8/18 @ 10:02 AM
C Eagle
C Eagle
User since 8/10/13

One week from today we will be back at Hyatt's for some fishing adventures.  Fire up Fish hook and LG65.

Can't wait for the games to begin!

5/28/18 @ 6:13 PM
fishhook
fishhook

Siedemnascie dni i liczymy, az uczymy sie na walleyach!

LG65,this might be easier to read.

Displaying 76 to 90 of 259 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE