SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Silver Dollar Area Ontario

5/21/04 @ 11:46 AM
INITIAL POST
JEP
User since 10/19/01
Just interested to see if anyone fishes this area of Ontario. My group will be making it's 12th trip to the area later this summer. We stay at Moose Creek Camp about 8 miles north of Silver Dollar. We fish a number of different lakes in this area. Some of our favorites are Wintering, Sowden, Sturgeon, Young and Watcomb. I would enjoy comparing ideas and stories with fisherman who have spent time in this area. JEP

Displaying 16 to 30 of 1,279 posts
8/15/23 @ 7:52 AM
Arod
User since 2/26/13
Hey Guidefishing,
Good to hear you had a good trip. We left camp as you came in. Walleye fishing was good but the lake trout fishing was not very good. We had numerous discussions as to why the trout fishing was down. The weather was outstanding. We had a new twist this year to our trip as we brought our brides for the first time. They loved it! Both became very good at jigging for walleyes, took a blueberry trip, took many pics of the wonderful scenery, enjoyed visits with our hosts and loved sitting on the dock with a cocktail while watching the sunset. In fact they enjoyed it so much that they'll be coming back next season. May have to make two trips!!
8/14/23 @ 2:03 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
Just returned from a week on Sturgeon, walleye fishing was good, not as fast as on the out lakes but steady.  the Overall quality of fish was fantastic with many walleye landed from 24-27in.  The walleye action was good in that we only took one day as a trip to an out lake preferring the quality fish we were getting on Sturgeon.  Lake trout fishing was ok, but I would rate it as below average.  No issues catching trout just did not stack them up as usual.  Although we only targeted pike for a short time one afternoon and including the numerous pike we caught as incidentals we had a hard time catching anything less than 28in.  Many nice pike in the 30 + in range.  All in all a good trip on Sturgeon.
7/19/23 @ 3:12 PM
JCBoys
User since 5/20/20
Ive recently been told (second hand-after getting worms for bait) from a lodge that pulling walleye worm spinners with more than one hook is against regulations and the second hook on worm harness needs to be cut off.  Ive scoured the regulations book and all I see is - Hooks and Line - "a fishing line must not have more than 4 hooks."  By this definition/regulation I would think you would be fine with two hooks on a worm harness.  Can anyone shed some light on what the lodge was referring to?
7/10/23 @ 9:02 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
Arod,  Sturgeon can be fickle to say the least, often the walleye's are concentrated to some very specific spots, and there is a lot of water where they are not.  A week or three can make a big difference.  It took me a lot of years to crack the code on Sturgeon for walleye's and my expectations are always tempered. I just returned from that area where my brother in law and I were averaging over 100 walleye per day on a smaller lake to the south.  I certainly do not expect anywhere near that type of action on Sturgeon although we have had some days like that it's not typically the norm.  The one thing I like about Sturgeon is we really focus on Lake Trout.  Don't panic.  A lot can change in 3 weeks, and often its just the matter of where on the walleye when you find them.  Does not hurt to have a back up plan on out lakes if you are struggling on walleye.
7/8/23 @ 7:37 AM
Arod
User since 2/26/13
Talked with a guy who just returned from fishing the northern parts of Sturgeon Lake. He stated it was a disappointing trip. His group was unable to find walleyes and even talked to others who experienced the same difficulties. Their group spent a day on an out lake and did very well. Has anyone else experienced this same situation or heard reports concerning Sturgeon. Heading up tp the north end in three weeks.
7/4/23 @ 7:02 AM
selbert
User since 4/21/16
We had an awesome trip to the Silver Dollar area. Weather cooled off a bit but the fishing was good. Our group tried flying Loon for the first time. The flowage areas are worth the trip in. Lots of small walleye, but we did catch a couple over "20 and a large sucker (I've never seen one caught on a rod and reel). I also learned a ton about catching lake trout, definitely going to be a species I target more on future trips.  Walleye were anywhere from 5 to 15 ft deep. Underspin jigs tipped with live bait seemed to outfish traditional jigs. I think the smallmouth bite was starting to slow based on previous posts. We caught a good number, but it wasn't non stop action. Overall, I give the fishing an A- as far as a grade goes. That's almost 20 years of observation. 
6/19/23 @ 9:12 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
Rusty,  the majority of the fires are north of a line between Sioux Lookout and Savant lake.  I was up last week and when the wind came out of the north it blocked out the sun, visibility much reduced, and I could imagine if someone had breathing problems that it would be uncomfortable to say the least.   Did not effect the fishing that was great as always.  Very dry, total fire restrictions on, and lake levels very low.
6/18/23 @ 9:25 AM
RustyFishHook
User since 6/7/15
Any wildfires in this area? We are heading north next week
6/11/23 @ 7:12 AM
Remi
User since 3/23/05
Bugs were the worst we saw in years.  Probably due to the warm weather and lack of wind.  Lots of mosquitoes and Deer flies.  When there was a breeze then no problem, but it was horrible cooking fish outside without wind. Good news on the water no issue with bugs, even with no wind, no bug bites while fishing. 
6/11/23 @ 6:46 AM
Shad
User since 8/27/01
How are the bugs?  I hauled boats up to our Camp north of Sault and they were very impressive to say the least!  
6/10/23 @ 11:02 AM
Remi
User since 3/23/05
We had a good week of fishing, weather was hot sun with no wind, then few days later cloudy cool rain in evening.  Water temperature 75F on Saturday then 68F few days later after the rain.  Caught walleye in 6 feet to 21 feet, bigger fish in shallow on rock reef or weed line.  Northern very active the first few warm days, then slower rest of the week.  Water is lower than normal.  Good fishing but found fish in different places due to warm water and low water.  Great memories, tight lines everyone. 
6/7/23 @ 12:29 PM
Canada Bound
User since 2/19/10
As far as the size of walleyes on flying loon, it definitely has dropped the past 10 years or so since they improved the landing, we used to get 24-25 inchers each visit not lots but usually one or two every trip. I would expect the Majority of your fish to be between 14 and 17 inches with the occasional 18 to 20 inch fish but not many that size either I have caught 40+ inch pike in there as well some of your better fishing would be if you go up the creeks in to the smaller lakes but you can only do that when there’s Highwater and you need a small boat and to be willing to get out with a pair of chest waders as needed. Still smaller fish in those lakes too but a more consistent bite. Most years I would have no problems catching 100 walleyes myself in flying loon in a day this year when I went in there I caught 54 so not bad but definitely not what it used to be.
6/5/23 @ 12:16 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Dodger,

Flying Loon is a great numbers lake for walleye. I don't ever recall catching anything big there with the exception of a very large pike. 
6/2/23 @ 7:17 PM
rnel
User since 5/17/14
We go to Harris bay and fishing was really good for everything. Trout were biting both soaking ciscos and jigging. Smallmouth are crazy and actually get old catching. Walleyes were good especially in cobb bay and other places. Northerns were also good biggest 45 inches but skinny.
6/2/23 @ 11:40 AM
rnel
User since 5/17/14
We were up on Sturgeon for the opening week and temps in the bays were about 55 and the main lake 48-50, but that was last week and we left it was getting hot.
Displaying 16 to 30 of 1,279 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE