SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Silver Dollar Area Ontario

5/21/04 @ 11:46 AM
INITIAL POST
JEP
User since 10/19/01
Just interested to see if anyone fishes this area of Ontario. My group will be making it's 12th trip to the area later this summer. We stay at Moose Creek Camp about 8 miles north of Silver Dollar. We fish a number of different lakes in this area. Some of our favorites are Wintering, Sowden, Sturgeon, Young and Watcomb. I would enjoy comparing ideas and stories with fisherman who have spent time in this area. JEP

Displaying 61 to 75 of 1,279 posts
10/2/22 @ 11:05 AM
toughontrout
User since 12/21/20

I would never let Trudeau's influence interfere with my enjoyment of Canada's people, waters & recreation.

9/30/22 @ 6:57 AM
Lunkerhunt85
User since 5/10/14

People should avoid canada until  that thug trudeau is gone. 

9/29/22 @ 9:25 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

You can camp on Lake of Bays, you will have to see what is paper company land and what is not.  You used to be able to get paper company camping permits at the Silver Dollar but that was before the current owners so some research is probably required on what is company land and what is crown land.  Fishing is always good, causeway is always a pita.  good luck.

9/27/22 @ 10:52 AM
Skoda_80
User since 9/27/22

Now that the vaccine requirement is over I want to head back to the Silver Dollar area. It has been years since I have been up there. How is the fishing at Lake of Bays? I was also thinking about camping on an island there. Is that legal?

8/27/22 @ 11:14 AM
Shorecrest2589
User since 8/22/22

Guys, thanks for the feedback.  I will check in with Steve when we get up there.  Might need to consider other options till we can commit to a full week at a lodge on that body of water.

8/25/22 @ 2:46 PM
James Mac
User since 5/12/20

Shorecrest,

A friend of mine stayed at Young Lake a few weeks ago and is up there right now for another go! Anyway, I spoke with him before he left for this most recent trip, and he told me he was out on Sturgeon and did really good on lakers. He said the owner of Young Lake gave him some good advice on where to launch and fish. I think you'll have a good resource at your lodge. 

I've been on Sturgeon a couple times for lakers and the fishing has been good. Be cautious if you go. Like others have outlined, you really need to be careful for rocks and reefs in that lake! I suspect those who fish Sturgeon with any regularity have bone chilling stories about a run in with a rock or reef. I know I got a story and I don't even fish it that much!  Be cognizant of the wind too. It can kick-up some decent sized rollers. 

Good Luck and have fun!

Jimmy Mac

8/25/22 @ 11:27 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

Shorecrest,  there are two public landings that I am aware of on Sturgeon but must admit I have not used either.  

Eddy Creek landing on the south end, to the south of the small earthen dam.  and on the North end going past the airport ? dirt strip there is a road to a landing.  These are on extreme opposite ends of the lake.

For years I fished the south end of Sturgeon but for close to 15+ years now I have made yearly trips to the North end among other lakes along 599 throughout the summer.

I would tell you that there are some long runs required to get to what I consider some of the prime walleye waters regardless what end you put in on.   Depending on temps and when in September the lake trout could be starting to transition to shallow water.  Trout are your best bet for easy day trips, as most deep water sections will hold good numbers of eater size trout.  On the south end, Mosquito bay, by way of 3rd, 2nd, and 1st bay would be a likely walleye location have done well in there.  On the North end your best bet is up the North east arm, and finding mid lake humps.  Or back behind Covington Island.   All of which are probably going to be close to  hour or much longer runs on plane at speed just to get in the general area.   If you don't know the routes darn risky running on plane multiple area's where 20 feet either way is disaster vs a blissful ride.  Sturgeon is not a walleye factory but can definitely have its days, and typically the walleye run bigger than the outlakes.  There are days you can catch more trout than you would walleye on out lakes.

Not trying to discourage you but your really need a full week just to learn the basic's what will work for you, and about 30-50 gallons of gas.  I have a 32 gallon on board tank, bring an extra 24, know for the most part exactly where I am going most days and usually pull the boat out on fumes after a week on Sturgeon.  Sturgeon can be a tough nut without a home base on the lake. 

Enough rocks just below the surface in the middle of no where and deep water to make you say some prayers if your going into an unknown area.

Good luck

8/24/22 @ 4:10 PM
Shorecrest2589
User since 8/22/22

I have fished this area for many years, mostly lower LOB, Watcomb, upper Pepperbell and Wintering.  In the last 8-10 years have been going up in fall and will be returning this year in September.  I have heard of big fish being caught on Sturgeon, but have only been on it a couple times in spring for trout on the very lower tip by Lumberjack and over to Jackpot for walleye.

My group is staying at Young, but would like to make a day trip or two over to Sturgeon.  Any suggestions on how to get on the lake and where to go?  Am interested in walleye, but trout or northern would be good too.  

I know there are some serious navigation hazards.  Heard stories and saw boats towed in at Lumberjack when we stayed there.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

7/5/22 @ 2:48 PM
selbert
User since 4/21/16

My group was there from June 26th thru July 1 (Canada Day!). We were welcomed on Sunday with heavy rains and strong winds. We didn't even attempt to put boats in the water. Although we did have fun fishing the flowage between watcomb and hut from shore. The week's weather didn't really improve. It was very, very, very windy most of the time. This limited when and where we could fish. That wind really wears you out quickly. Relentless was the adjective that comes to my mind when describing it. Even some of the guys in bigger boats didn't even leave camp a couple days. This was especially disappointing because I took 2 newbies up with me. Although they were both impressed with the health of the Canadian fisheries, I would grade that week with a solid C. Very average in numbers and size. This again was mostly because we couldn't get to the fish. Very limited on when and where to go.

Water Temps were around 67 at the beginning of the week and dropped to 62 by the end on lakes like lake of Bays, watcomb, Young, whiterock. Sturgeon Lake was mid 50's.

Walleye were good and easy to catch when we were on the water. Average size was 17in. Actually we just started finding the biggers at the end of the week.

We never targeted big pike, but caught several over 30in when walleye or bass fishing.

Speaking of the bass, I was so confused as to where they are in the spawn cycle. In years past we catch a ton of shallow water spawning fish during the last week of June. This year we caught a few, but not like previous trips. The ones we did catch were fat and big. Most over 2.5lbs. But not as hot as usual. Again, white caps and wind kept me off a lot of my good spots. They may have been there but difficult to get the right bait in front of them.

Still a lot of fun and better fishing than most places in the states. Loved the Northwoods and can't wait to get back. Saw a couple big moose, bears, wolves, and even got to watch some eagles catch a few fish.

Silver Dollar Area Ontario photo by selbert
6/27/22 @ 3:28 PM
JCBoys
User since 5/20/20

Boundary Lake Question

Our Group Picks a portage in lake to explore.  We want to try Boundary Lake.  It looks like the most direct route is right by a cabin we can see on google maps & Ontario ArcGIS software.  According to the GIS it shows the cabin is on Crown Land, we cannot believe someone would put that much work into a cabin on crown land.  Does anyone know how to get to Boundary Lake? Is anyone on here owner of the cabin that can DM me?  

6/17/22 @ 9:23 AM
14ftdown
14ftdown
User since 3/3/04

Thanks Jibberish. We fished Young a few times. Lake fly hatch made it tough for walleyes but even then the fishing was better than most days in Wi. Tammy had a monster pike follow up and swim under the boat. That was a heart breaker.

6/16/22 @ 4:16 PM
Jibberish
User since 5/29/06

Nice catch there 14ftdown! Did you all fish Young Lake much, I'm pretty sure you popped some big ones on Lake....Well I don't want to give away your secrets, you know the lake I speak of here!

6/16/22 @ 12:11 PM
14ftdown
14ftdown
User since 3/3/04

I'll try again...  

Silver Dollar Area Ontario photo by 14ftdown
6/14/22 @ 12:24 PM
14ftdown
14ftdown
User since 3/3/04

The crappie pic and the fish fry pic are not from Canada. Not sure where those came from.

6/14/22 @ 12:21 PM
14ftdown
14ftdown
User since 3/3/04

Couple more pics

Displaying 61 to 75 of 1,279 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE