SEARCH
MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

Waterfowl Regulations

1/12/15 @ 2:07 PM
INITIAL POST
Marsh Man 2
User since 9/20/10
So I was having a nice discussion with Kent Van Horn the WDNR biologist in charge of our waterfowl seasons in Wisconsin. He made a comment that they come under a lot of pressure to simplify the waterfowl hunting regulations. I'm always for making something simpler however not at the cost of lost opportunities. My example would be how the bluebill limits changed during the season a few years ago. For part of the season you could shoot X and then the rest Y. So hunters submitted complaints about the changes in bag limits during the season. This has made the DNR hesitant to try and do something similar with other species. I asked him when if ever they will increase the limits on redheads in the state as we see and shoot lots. He said no as it would have to be studied on a species specific level and then that species would have changing bag limits during the season or would remain at the lower of the two levels which would be two redheads just as we have. So my question to all waterfowl hunters. How do you feel about changing bag limits during the season if you got to shoot more during certain dates? Example: 2 redheads during the month of Oct. and 3 the rest of the season. Or 2 redheads all season. I would rather have the changing bag limit during the season then being able to shoot a lower amount all season. Kent gave me the impression I'm one of few that feel that way. So I thought I would ask all of you. Thanks
Displaying 31 to 45 of 45 posts
1/14/15 @ 5:51 PM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
User since 6/17/01
Daily bag limits can change on a year to year basis. We have seen it most specifically with cans and scaup. Zones are on a 5 year cycle.
1/14/15 @ 4:36 PM
Marsh Man 2
User since 9/20/10
Changes to Goose limits have to wait until the 5 year cycle ends. I believe that's 2 years yet. It was an agreement with the Feds that WI would only change goose regs/limits on a 5 year cycle. I'm not positive when that cycle changes but I know for sure its 5 years and I think we are on the "tail end" of it. Opening time changes can be made any year dnr likes. For all that are making comments go to the hearings the dnr holds in August there are several held every year throughout the state. If you can't make it to the meetings email comments. Emailed comments are logged and incorporated into the records. The bonus of speaking at hearings is others get to hear your comments and helps others think of other things along with supporting your position. From the comments I have to admit to Kent I am wrong. It appears from this unofficial survey people don't like changes in the regs period during the season or not. Kind of sad as we are loosing out on opportunities.
1/14/15 @ 2:09 PM
Rempump
User since 5/8/03
I would like to see the goose limit raised and the removal of the 9:00 opener. I would also be for the changing bag limit. Its not that big of a deal. We have had it before. Keep a reg book in your blind bag and you are set to go. Overall I would like to see more land and water available to hunt on. We need to increase public land and better manage it. Why have thousands of acres that hold no critters, its a barron waste land.
1/14/15 @ 9:57 AM
Marsh Man 2
User since 9/20/10
The state would fund it not the Feds. And you are incorrect the state can do something about if pushed.
1/13/15 @ 4:34 PM
CPRMASAP
User since 11/9/04
You are correct that there are no population "triggers" (like with scaup) for increasing the daily bag limit. Go ahead and pony up the cash to fund a usfws Redhead study if you want that changed. Nothing the state will ever be able to do to increase it.
1/13/15 @ 8:34 AM
Marsh Man 2
User since 9/20/10
Actually Kent said it would be possible to raise bag limits if they did species specific studies. That is the "road block" feds put in place that stopped the effort to increase redhead bag limits 3 or 4 years ago. The internal "road blocks" are funding, staff availability and hunters that don't want to bother reading regulations nor keep track of changing bag limits. Sad but true we could have additional opportunities to shoot more redheads but people don't want to put in the effort.
1/13/15 @ 8:03 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
I never shoot a limit or have the chances to so it doesn't matter. goose harvest could go up as said below, both early season and regular season bags.
1/12/15 @ 9:20 PM
flyguy329
User since 1/25/06
Not a fan of changing the bag limits. Too much confusion and there are times I hunt and times I don't.
1/12/15 @ 5:16 PM
CPRMASAP
User since 11/9/04
These are all things that are out of Kents control. I'm sure he told you that. In regards to bag limits he has to work within the limits set by the USFWS.
1/12/15 @ 4:36 PM
Crappies101
User since 5/1/14
I agree with grave yard! Smile Big Smile
1/12/15 @ 3:59 PM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
Count me in on all the suggestions below.
1/12/15 @ 3:19 PM
grave yard
User since 12/8/09
Get rid of the 9:00 start time! And increase the goose limits. Big Smile
1/12/15 @ 3:05 PM
hogbuster
hogbuster
User since 3/16/10
Maybe we should keep it real simple and open all the Zones the same day, scratch the early teal, and the youth hunt. The DNR could then use all the money left over from printing the regulation book to lower the cost of stamps etc..
1/12/15 @ 2:24 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
I definitely wouldn't want the bag limit number to change during the season. The regs are complicated enough. What's the point anyway? What I think is a better battle to wage is getting rid of the goose registration. I'd like to see what useful information is being gathered by it at this point. I truly believe that it is nothing more than a revenue generator now. The Canada goose bag limit is the one that needs to be raised to 3/day in the exterior zone.
Displaying 31 to 45 of 45 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE