SEARCH
MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

Waterfowl Regulations

1/12/15 @ 2:07 PM
INITIAL POST
Marsh Man 2
User since 9/20/10
So I was having a nice discussion with Kent Van Horn the WDNR biologist in charge of our waterfowl seasons in Wisconsin. He made a comment that they come under a lot of pressure to simplify the waterfowl hunting regulations. I'm always for making something simpler however not at the cost of lost opportunities. My example would be how the bluebill limits changed during the season a few years ago. For part of the season you could shoot X and then the rest Y. So hunters submitted complaints about the changes in bag limits during the season. This has made the DNR hesitant to try and do something similar with other species. I asked him when if ever they will increase the limits on redheads in the state as we see and shoot lots. He said no as it would have to be studied on a species specific level and then that species would have changing bag limits during the season or would remain at the lower of the two levels which would be two redheads just as we have. So my question to all waterfowl hunters. How do you feel about changing bag limits during the season if you got to shoot more during certain dates? Example: 2 redheads during the month of Oct. and 3 the rest of the season. Or 2 redheads all season. I would rather have the changing bag limit during the season then being able to shoot a lower amount all season. Kent gave me the impression I'm one of few that feel that way. So I thought I would ask all of you. Thanks
Displaying 16 to 30 of 45 posts
4/19/15 @ 8:13 PM
Gander Dander
User since 4/15/09
870- Yep remember that well. Seems like yesterday. If you would have told me that I was going to be able to shoot a can, back in the late 80's, I would have laughed at you! That's another species that is very vulnerable to "ups and downs" on population. Just for the record, so to speak, I hunted four different areas this last fall, areas that are frequented by redheads, and we seen very few. I wasn't the only one that noticed this.
4/19/15 @ 8:27 AM
duckmaster33.
User since 12/15/10
During the points years,redhead were closed sometimes,70 points,and I think they were 100 also.
4/19/15 @ 7:52 AM
SLM
User since 1/10/07
During the point system years redheads were 70 points.
4/18/15 @ 8:34 PM
870man
User since 2/13/02
Anybody out there remember the point system when you couldn't shoot redheads? That was back in the late 60's early 70's. These were local redheads. How times change.
4/17/15 @ 3:22 PM
Marsh Man 2
User since 9/20/10
swamp_runner - I never went away just stopped posting. Got tired of so much of it all. duckwidow - Redhead numbers are at all time highs and have been for a while. Population: Redhead populations have remained relatively steady since 1955, hovering in the 400,000 to 800,000 range. As of the 2009 survey, there were more than 1 million redheads, a plateau that was reached in 2007 http://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfowl-id/redhead#ad-image-0 Sorry didn't spend the time to try and find something more current. I believe the redhead numbers are like 1.2 million I believe. I also want to say if I recall correctly the last time I read on WI redhead numbers they are well above long term norms. They can take an increase in harvest limits even more so if populations are monitored. An increase of a bird or two will not impact them. My point being its been 8 plus years of high numbers...if just a cycle its a long enough cycle that can handle an increase if monitored and if its not just a cycle its just missed opportunities. What impacts them are hunters that complain to the WDNR that changing regulations are to hard. If you are going to put in the physical effort to harvest wild animals you should also put in the mental effort to read regulations. And I'm not for shooting more of anything just because I see it. I'm all about using science to dictate harvest limits for anything. The numbers are there to support an increase in redheads. What I'm trying to do is get people to understand currently the WDNR doesn't use science as much as they could because of certain people complaining. We as hunters must first consider ourselves environmentalists and hunters second. That is if we want to be able to harvest game in the future we must ensure they are protected. Yet on the other hand as hunters we should point out opportunities that we are missing out.
4/17/15 @ 7:27 AM
Gander Dander
User since 4/15/09
Duckwidow, you provided a couple of very good points! I posted up about increases in shooting limits a while back and stated that this is not always a good idea. Just because something is there, doesn't necessarily mean you have to shoot it. Everything in Nature cycles. Large numbers one year, not so many the next. It's a delicate balance to keep the "resource" available. So many factors affect the number of birds, not just hunting. Have to keep the balance so that the hunting can be enjoyed and not getting "greedy" on harvest. The Indians had it right.. take only what you need and always put back and it will be there Wink
4/16/15 @ 4:45 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05
Regarding a comment about increasing goose limits I can't see that happen. While local "giant" populations seem to be doing the same if not better, the MVP population seems to be at an all time low.
4/16/15 @ 4:42 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05
Just because you shoot a lot of redhead doesn't mean we should increase their numbers. There is not that many to begin with and that is why you can only shoot 2. Many days we could shoot 6 to 10. At some point you just have to be thankful and watch how majestic they are.
1/21/15 @ 8:40 PM
swamp_runner
swamp_runner
User since 1/5/02
Holy smokes. Marsh how you been? been years far as I can tell. I am like you game time decisions would work well. as far as I am concerned. Redheads to be honest I do not kill many. But I am not in prime areas. I see more can's and bills.
1/20/15 @ 12:14 PM
ole 870
User since 6/27/01
simplify some of the "open water" regulations. If I'm within 10 yards of any shoreline, whether I'm in a boat blind or standing on the bottom with or without a blind, or even if there isn't a drop of vegetation around me that should not be considered open water hunting. It would open up a lot more huntable areas instead of cramming everyone into constricted areas.
1/20/15 @ 8:36 AM
CPRMASAP
User since 11/9/04
It never ceases to amaze me how little understanding waterfowl hunters have of how the regulations are set. Some videos to watch.... http://flyways.us/regulations-and-harvest/adaptive-harvest-management
1/17/15 @ 3:51 PM
diver hunter 1987
User since 9/29/09
I say change them during the season. It's just like fishing for walleyes in vilas county each lake has different regs if people are going to over bag then they are going to do it regardless of the rules. And to the people that don't read the regs correctly well then they are probably shooting before legal light anyways because they obviously don't have the regs on them. I will always vote to be able to shoot more of a species of duck even though in the redheads case I usually shoot most in October so that doesn't really help me out. How about 1 bluebill until November then 4-5 after if do that.
1/16/15 @ 7:34 AM
Gander Dander
User since 4/15/09
Interesting thought. Considering the amount of hunters that will miss-interput the regs, and there are a large number of them, this could lead to mass confusion and the possibility of over harvest. Or they will find out they broke the law and dump the birds. ( wittnessed that this season on several occasions Doh!) Things need to be taken into consideration as to how the over-all populations of specific species are. Example, we dropped on can harvest this year due to breeding. Want to harvest more geese? Be careful with that. Remember what happened back in the early 90's. If the Feds and the State grant specific harvest quota's for the States, then go with what is given. There are good reasons for the structure of that harvest amount(s). Sometimes, more is not better. Smile
1/15/15 @ 8:28 AM
Marsh Man 2
User since 9/20/10
yep zones are in a 5 year cycle but so are the goose seasons
1/15/15 @ 7:26 AM
Shad
User since 8/27/01
Set seasons each year and leave alone.
Displaying 16 to 30 of 45 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE