MORE
Turkey Hunting

2015 spring turkey season reports

3/27/15 @ 9:34 PM
INITIAL POST
Jesse Quale
Jesse Quale
User since 1/25/09
Hey guys Saturday the 28th @ 10am any permits still remaining for all zones go on sale. One permit per person per day.Resident $10.00 Nonresident $15.00 you must already have purchased your spring turkey licenses to buy extra tags. Big Smile Big Smile Guys looking to book a spring turkey hunt in zone 1 or 3? I have a few openings left. I have lots of land to hunt in both zones. Both private and public land. We have been out the last few weeks checking hunting spots over. Lots of birds around with the mild winter. Couple of the areas we have been hunting for years with good sucess. Big Smile Big Smile These pictures are from 2014 spring turkey season in zone 1 and 3 Big Smile
2015 spring turkey season reports photo by greenwaterwalleye
Displaying 30 to 44 of 111 posts
5/6/15 @ 9:53 PM
Jesse Quale
Jesse Quale
User since 1/25/09
Gobbler down in zone 3 this evening.5 Am today 5 toms hit the ground gobbling there heads off.2 more toms flew down from the roost. I started to call a few times and 2 of the toms started strutting our way. About 5 mins went buy and 7 hens flew from the roost and landed in middle of field. They yelped a couple times and ran over to the 2 toms working our way. One tom jumps across a ditch in the field and other stays on west side.I call a few more times real aggressive and both toms come running down the ditch. Hens yelped and clucked trying to turn the toms. Toms came in 30 yards client shoot and birds run away. Tonight we set up on south end of field around 5 pm. Called a few times every few mins. 2 Toms popped out to the south and come down the field to the hen decoy. Bang birds run away to the south. I jumped up and said the first bird was hit hard and i cant believe its not there on the ground. Walked over to where the birds ran in to the south. Bingo there was the bird just over the fence. Big Smile Big Smile Anyone looking to book a guided turkey hunt i have a few days left open in the last to seasons. We can hunt public or private land. Zone1 or Zone 3 Big Smile
5/5/15 @ 11:47 AM
Formerly the big guy
PRO MEMBER User since 10/3/11
Well my week was this week and I had a good time. Hunted Weds., Thurs., and Fri. Weds. had one answering in a field at 6:30. He gobbled half a dozen times and then shut up. About an hour later I snuck to the edge of the field and saw a hen feeding. I sat down and pretty soon 2 hens fed by. They were followed by 2 strutters. I called to them but only got a hen to answer. They all came back the way but stayed out of range. Thurs. was the same but only birds from the road. Fri. got out late as usual and had 1 gobbling in the field. He shut up after 4 times. I sat there quit for about 20 minutes. I heard leaves crunching behind me and when I turned around I saw a jake about 10 steps behind me. I decided the public land experience was exciting enough to take him. He was 12 steps away when I shot and he went right down. He was 14 lbs. Had 1/2" spurs and when I butchered him I found that he was double bearded. He's the first double bearded bird I have shot. Zone 3, Waushara County
5/5/15 @ 10:28 AM
prusta81
User since 1/19/09
Congrats on all the great hunts guys! Keep the stories coming. \|/ toes - those are some serious hooks on that bird! Just curious, what did they measure?
5/5/15 @ 9:39 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
way to go twig! awesome bird for your dad, that's what its all about! Big Smile
5/4/15 @ 6:24 PM
Twig "SNAP"
User since 2/13/11
waupaca county hunting with my father who's turning 82 shortly and postponed a pacemaker and defibrillator put in telling his doc he had more important things to do that week LOL. Had a great couple days, myself getting a bird thursday at 1pm and my father tagging a 22lb 10.750 in beard on friday just after noon. he had a big boy coming at 6am but while getting his gun ready he knocked over his walking cane [clank> opps!!! maybe I'll get him this week.
2015 spring turkey season reports photo by Twig
5/4/15 @ 4:30 PM
\|/ toes
\|/ toes
User since 12/19/11
buckrubtaxidermy, lets see that pic with the trailer of Turks!
5/4/15 @ 4:25 PM
\|/ toes
\|/ toes
User since 12/19/11
couple more
5/4/15 @ 4:23 PM
\|/ toes
\|/ toes
User since 12/19/11
Good Spring for me and my boys. both boys scored during mentor hunting. I took a boss on opening season 1, 28 pounds and then another toad (prob a 4 year old) last Thursday with a bonus 3rd season permit. keep at it \|/
5/1/15 @ 8:33 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11
Got this guy about 7 this morning in Columbia Co. Hunted yesterday and today in perfect conditions. I was set up in my blind against woods I can't hunt but call birds out into the field. They always roost in these woods. Yesterday I was set up and ready well before they awoke. Gobbling started about 15 minutes before opening. There were 2 toms going at it in their trees behind me. 1 even flew down about 5:15. I never heard a hen either day. They milled around in the woods but would never come into the field. They eventually drifted off the who knows where. I waited until about 10 without hearing anything and called it a day. Today was the same except I heard at least 3 toms gobbling. Again, no hens and they just drifted off. They were making replies to my calling. Over the course of the next hour I did hear some distant gobbles in the adjacent field. I then heard one that sounded a bit closer. I yelped back loudly on a box call and got response. About 10 minutes later I saw his head pop up over the knoll about 90 yards out. He had to have seen my dekes. He fanned out a gobbled often as he worked his way across the field, not really getting any closer and taking his time. He began drifting a bit closer until he was right along the fence line. When he got to about 40 yards out he stopped. If he took 2 steps to his right he'd be in the woods. Move ahead,he'd come more within range. I didn't give him the choice. 21 lbs., 10 1/2" beard, 1" & 7/8" spurs. Was surprised he was so light but he didn't have much fat on his breast meat. With how worn down his wing feathers were, I'd guess he was closer to 24 lbs. a month ago. Tim
5/1/15 @ 1:17 PM
kayakguy86
kayakguy86
User since 7/22/11
brtn610 - Did you catch him with a Rapala, or just knock him out with your fishing pole?? Haha just kidding, congrats on your bird!
5/1/15 @ 1:00 PM
brtn610
brtn610
User since 12/30/07
Well, I was finally able to get out for the first time since my season opened on Wednesday and I was lucky enough to take this guy just after 6 AM. 7" beard and 7/8" spurs. Not a big bird, but the first that I was able to call in for myself, so I'm pretty proud. Public land in Portage county.
4/30/15 @ 7:45 PM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
Well.....we messed that up tonite...
4/30/15 @ 10:20 AM
griff n
griff n
User since 6/17/11
Yesterday 4 jakes and a Tom flew down Followed by some hens. They all moved off down the field away from me. After hunting I moved my blind hoping they would do the same today. When it was still very dark three birds flew down. Was so dark could barely make them out. They started to gobble so knew I was in business. When it got lighter they were joined by another Tom and 6 hens The three stayed together strutting and gobbling walking side by side a lot of the time. I had two tags and thought if they came by me I would line up two heads and let go. That's what happened, 21.6 and 17.1 with one shot. What luck, quite the morning. Done at 6:05.
4/29/15 @ 1:13 PM
fodremingtonsteel
User since 8/5/09
Right off the roost, strutter gets to the field about 150 yards out with 2 hens. 1 hen makes her way to the decoys, pecks around for a while and leaves. The other hen wanders off in a different direction. The strutter seems to have a mental laps in his motivation in life. He spends the next 2 hours gobbling relentlessly and strutting back and forth anywhere from 100 yards to 250 yards away from the decoys. Finally, over 2 hours after fly down, he wanders over to cautiously check out the decoys. Bad choice......Winnebago County 2 year old. 20#, 9.5" beard, 3/4" spurs
2015 spring turkey season reports photo by fodremingtonsteel
4/28/15 @ 10:41 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06
Shot my bird this past Saturday. Hunted this past thurs thru sat, mainly in the mornings as i had to work. Called two toms in Thursday only to have them hang up at 60 yards and not come any closer. That is too far a shot for me! Friday was uneventful other than a parade of deer. Saturday, i had a tom and 5 hens strutting in a field below me about 200 yards away for an hour. I didn't have access to that field so hard to make a move. They moved off around 715 and i was calling every 15 minutes or so when a gobbler responded to me in a different area than the bird I was watching. 5 minutes later he gobbled again and was within 100 yards. 2 minutes later I see a jake and him walking briskly up the hill to me. 25 yard shot. 22 pounds, 10 inch beard, 3/4 inch spurs so I'm guessing he was a 2 year old. What I've found is turkey hunting, like any, is 10 percent skill, 90 percent luck (and determination as you can't shoot a turkey at home!) If you find a tom without hens and your patient you have a good chance to at least call him in. Getting him after that is another story!
Displaying 30 to 44 of 111 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE