SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Pickled Fish Recipe

1/18/12 @ 12:44 PM
INITIAL POST
Igor
User since 6/20/01
I am in need of some help here. A couple years back there was a pickled pike recipe I used that was fabulous. It not only had the usual ingredients but also crushed red pepper and whole peppercorns. I've done about a dozen different searches but can't seem to find the thread. What I DO remember is one of the posters had photos of MANY MANY jars of finished product in the posting. Can anyone help? My search yielded 3 threads relating to pickling but none of these had what I am looking for. Thanks a lot.
Displaying 31 to 40 of 44 posts
2/20/13 @ 2:36 PM
mapper
User since 1/4/02
willfish4food, Yes crappie will work and will firm up. I've done batches of gills and crappies together and you can't tell the difference. Mapper
11/7/12 @ 7:18 PM
makaira
makaira
User since 8/18/07
Hey Guys, i gave grandma a northern to pickle last March, she pickled it shortly thereafter and gave me a jar, sadly it was moved to the back of the fridge and not forgotten, but overlooked many times, my question is, is it still safe to eat, it looks fine and smells fine, how long does it last? When i think pickled, i think its good forever till you eat it. It has never been taken out of the fridge. Safe to eat or not?
3/15/12 @ 9:09 PM
Get Hooked
User since 9/1/09
I make mine with White wine and Red wine. The Red is much better, as you can tell by the pic..
2/23/12 @ 12:26 PM
walleyejt1
User since 4/3/03
anyone got a recipe that you can use for actually canning them? worried about giving my recipe a bath, don't want it to get mushy....
2/21/12 @ 7:37 PM
dmr2176
User since 9/29/03
Sorry Farmboy.... your brine doesnt sound so good.... Try this... Its just like store bought herring, I normally use pike for this as the bones all disolve in the salt and vineager 5 cups Heinz vineager 5/8 cup canning salt Cut filleted fish into bite sized chunks. Brine in above mix for 7 days in fridge. Drain. I give it a quick rinse at this time. Make your brine the day before your fish comes out, it has to cool Brine- 3/4 oz pickling spice 3 cups sugar 2 cups white port wine Boil above for 10 min, cool, strain spices Place brined and drained fish into jars. Layer with onion (A quart usually takes about 1 to 1 1/2 medium). Cover with wine sauce and let stand 7 days before enjoying.
2/21/12 @ 6:35 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Well Farmboy, just for kicks, how do you pickle turtle?
2/14/12 @ 2:07 AM
BAGS FARMBOY
BAGS FARMBOY
User since 9/26/11
Take Soy Sauce/ Pickle Juice/Brown Sugar/Dill/Garlic Powder/Onions/Olive Oil and 1 Can of Old Style Beer/ Let it keep for a few days...You'll be good to go. Let me know if you want any information on how to pickle Snapping Turtle.
1/25/12 @ 11:42 AM
gassmann
User since 4/19/07
@ eysman......exact same recipe I use. DAM GOOD grab a Club Cracker and an ice cold beer. Oops I meant many crackers and beers. Tounge Out Tounge Out Tounge Out Tounge Out Tounge Out Tounge Out Tounge Out
1/19/12 @ 6:39 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
Fillet fish and skin, remove the mudline, any fat from the meat and cut into bite size pieces. Mix 3 cups water to 1/2 cup pickling salt, place fish in the salt brine, refrigerate for 48 hours stirring a few times. Drain fish and cover with white vinegar, refrigerate for 48 hours stirring a few times. Prepare a brine using 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup sugar, one cup White Port wine and one tablespoon pickling spice. simmer brine for 20 minutes and cool. Remove fish from the vinegar and place in a jar with layers of onion. Cover with brine and add 1 cup of the White Port wine per each cup of wine used in the brine recipe. Age in the fridge for 7 - 10 days and enjoy. Fish will keep for several months in the fridge. I have done whitefish, walleye, northern and white bass with this recipe with good results. A friend uses this recipe and adds diced halepenos to the jar along with the onion. For walleye I use the belly meat from fillets I zipper when keeping eyes to eat. Cold water fish are better for pickling. Any bones in the fish will dissolve before eating.
1/19/12 @ 12:35 PM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03
Igor, In Walleye's recipe he states "enough salt to float an egg". This is kind of a rule of thumb when making most brines but if you never did it before here's a word of caution. Use enough water to more than cover the amount of fish you have. Then slowly add and stir in salt so that a raw egg (in the shell) just starts to float off the bottom. If you add enough salt so the egg floats on top of the water you could have just the right amount of salt or way too much, either way the egg stays on top. Also, stay away from using aluminum kettles or bowls, the salt/vinegar will stain them. Use plastic or stainless steel. Enjoy, Polski.
Displaying 31 to 40 of 44 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE