Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Pickled Fish Recipe

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

Igor
See Profile
Level: General User
1/18/12 12:44 PM CST
I am in need of some help here. A couple years back there was a pickled pike recipe I used that was fabulous. It not only had the usual ingredients but also crushed red pepper and whole peppercorns.

I've done about a dozen different searches but can't seem to find the thread. What I DO remember is one of the posters had photos of MANY MANY jars of finished product in the posting.

Can anyone help? My search yielded 3 threads relating to pickling but none of these had what I am looking for.

Thanks a lot.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 46
gassmann
gassmann
4/21/16 3:58 PM CST
I am no expert but I have kept my fish once pickled and unopened in the fridge for a up to a year and ate it....seemed to be just as good as the first week it was done.

eyesman
eyesman
3/25/16 6:38 AM CST
Once pickled I would not freeze the fish, my best guess is it would end up degrading the quality. I have pickled fish for years and almost always do them fresh caught without freezing first. Is that the best way, I don't know, just what I have done.

thefishingboy
See Profile
3/21/16 11:13 AM CST
First time here trying the pickling pike. I have my pike in the brine but I forgot to freeze it first to kill parasites. Can I still freeze it and thaw it out and continue or will it be mush? I have had it in brine for 24 hours or so.

badbad
badbad
Level: MEMBER
3/20/16 2:09 PM CST
Can these recipes work on bluegills and crappies?

utahman
utahman
2/24/16 10:15 AM CST
Just want to add a new change to my recipe. Add a cup of wine NOT boiled to the final brine mix after it is cooled, really made a difference this time.

[This post was last edited on 2/24/16 at 10:17 AM]
NRAguy
NRAguy
2/10/16 6:09 PM CST
Wingbone1----What's up with that finger in the picture??....if that's a finger......nasty man.....don't touch the fish with that thing... Puke

Wingbone1
Wingbone1
1/22/16 11:13 PM CST
This is the recipe I us and a lot of differnt people like it. I use the same recipe for eggs

utahman
utahman
1/22/16 1:02 PM CST
I looked to see if my recipe was still up, it is not. Enough fish to fill 3/4 gallon/ 5-6 average northerns. Follow eyesman recipe. I use 1/2 cup salt to 1 quart for the brine. I used to use 5/8 but it seems a little too salty. Here is my recipe for a great brine. 4 cups wine, I usually use white port as it is cheap but chardonnay is good too, 2 cups white vinegar. 3/4 cup water 3 cups sugar 3 tbls pickling spice. I have tried using cider vinegar for the second day soak I thought it wasnt as good. but you can try whatever you want. This brine recipe is for a gallon Jar. Also mix it up every day so it brines evenly. If it seems too tightly compacted divide it in half and put it in 2 containers. use plenty of onions too.This is the closest to a good commercial picled herring like ELF that I have ever prepared. I dont like VITA it is too salty tasting.

utahman
utahman
1/21/16 1:38 PM CST
I looked to see if my recipe was still up, it is not. Enough fish to fill 3/4 gallon/ 5-6 average northerns. Follow eyesman recipe. I use 1/2 cup salt to 1 quart for the brine. I used to use 5/8 but it seems a little too salty. Here is my recipe for a great brine. 4 cups wine, I usually use white port as it is cheap but chardonnay is good too, 2 cups white vinegar. 3/4 cup water 3 cups sugar 3 tbls pickling spice. I have tried using cider vinegar for the second day soak I thought it wasnt as good. but you can try whatever you want. This brine recipe is for a gallon Jar. Also mix it up every day so it brines evenly. If it seems too tightly compacted divide it in half and put it in 2 containers. use plenty of onions too.This is the closest to a good commercial picled herring like ELF that I have ever prepared. I dont like VITA it is too salty tasting.

utahman
utahman
1/21/16 1:38 PM CST

Thiel66
Thiel66
8/5/14 1:59 PM CST
I pretty much do the same thing as eyesman, but I put the pickleing spice in a coffee filter and tie it off. That way when I put it in a jar the spice is not floating around. Ive noticed that the taste can get stronger when the spice is left in the jar. It is just a personal preference of mine.

olswampdog
See Profile
8/5/14 11:32 AM CST
Just did the recipe variation with the red port. Delicious, like eating candy.

Duck Dodger
Duck Dodger
2/15/14 9:10 AM CST
I've never put mushrooms in with my fish, but I always do a batch of mushrooms after the jar of eggs is gone. Speaking of... I think I just found a perfect project for today!

cooter2
cooter2
2/14/14 6:14 PM CST
Eyesman, pretty much the same recipe I use.I add some whole canned button mushrooms, problem is; people dig around to get the shrooms first Tounge Out

eyesman
eyesman
2/14/14 10:41 AM CST
Fillet fish and skin, remove the mudline, any fat from the meat and cut into bite size pieces. Mix 3 cups water to 1/2 cup pickling salt, place fish in the salt brine, refrigerate for 48 hours stirring a few times. Drain fish and cover with white vinegar, refrigerate for 48 hours stirring a few times. Prepare a brine using 1 cup vinegar, 3/4 cup sugar, one cup White Port wine and one tablespoon pickling spice. Simmer brine for 20 minutes and cool. Once brine is cool I add one cup wine, for each cup of wine in the brine recipe, to the cooled brine. Remove fish from the vinegar and place in a jar with layers of onion. Cover with brine. Age in the fridge for 7 - 10 days and enjoy. Fish will keep for several months in the fridge. I have done whitefish, walleye, northern and white bass with this recipe with good results. A friend uses this recipe and adds diced halepenos to the jar along with the onion. Cold water fish are better for pickling. Any bones in the fish will dissolve before eating. When I do 10 whitefish for pickling I need to use 5 times brine mix ratio to get enough to cover the fish. I get Fairbank White Port wine in the 1.5 L bottle. When mixing the salt and water for the salt brine be sure to make plenty to cover the fish well.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 46
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird MirroCraft Boats St. Croix Rods Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Fenwick Baitmate

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook