SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Pickled Fish Recipe

1/18/12 @ 12:44 PM
INITIAL POST
Igor
User since 6/20/01
I am in need of some help here. A couple years back there was a pickled pike recipe I used that was fabulous. It not only had the usual ingredients but also crushed red pepper and whole peppercorns. I've done about a dozen different searches but can't seem to find the thread. What I DO remember is one of the posters had photos of MANY MANY jars of finished product in the posting. Can anyone help? My search yielded 3 threads relating to pickling but none of these had what I am looking for. Thanks a lot.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 44 posts
4/4/17 @ 9:10 AM
cabinbum
User since 4/1/10

that time of year for pickled sucker. so to the top,

4/21/16 @ 3:58 PM
gassmann
User since 4/19/07
I am no expert but I have kept my fish once pickled and unopened in the fridge for a up to a year and ate it....seemed to be just as good as the first week it was done.
3/25/16 @ 6:38 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
Once pickled I would not freeze the fish, my best guess is it would end up degrading the quality. I have pickled fish for years and almost always do them fresh caught without freezing first. Is that the best way, I don't know, just what I have done.
3/21/16 @ 11:14 AM
thefishingboy
User since 9/11/04
First time here trying the pickling pike. I have my pike in the brine but I forgot to freeze it first to kill parasites. Can I still freeze it and thaw it out and continue or will it be mush? I have had it in brine for 24 hours or so.
3/20/16 @ 2:09 PM
badbad
User since 3/9/09
Can these recipes work on bluegills and crappies?
2/24/16 @ 11:15 AM
utahman
User since 3/9/03
Just want to add a new change to my recipe. Add a cup of wine NOT boiled to the final brine mix after it is cooled, really made a difference this time.
2/10/16 @ 7:09 PM
NRAguy
NRAguy
User since 6/17/01
Wingbone1----What's up with that finger in the picture??....if that's a finger......nasty man.....don't touch the fish with that thing... Puke
1/23/16 @ 12:13 AM
Wingbone1
User since 10/28/15
This is the recipe I us and a lot of differnt people like it. I use the same recipe for eggs
Pickled Fish Recipe photo by Wingbone1
1/22/16 @ 2:02 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03
I looked to see if my recipe was still up, it is not. Enough fish to fill 3/4 gallon/ 5-6 average northerns. Follow eyesman recipe. I use 1/2 cup salt to 1 quart for the brine. I used to use 5/8 but it seems a little too salty. Here is my recipe for a great brine. 4 cups wine, I usually use white port as it is cheap but chardonnay is good too, 2 cups white vinegar. 3/4 cup water 3 cups sugar 3 tbls pickling spice. I have tried using cider vinegar for the second day soak, I thought it wasnt as good. but you can try whatever you want. This brine recipe is for a gallon Jar. Also mix it up every day so it brines evenly. If it seems too tightly compacted divide it in half and put it in 2 containers. use plenty of onions too.This is the closest to a good commercial pickled herring like ELF that I have ever prepared. I dont like VITA it is too salty tasting.

1/21/16 @ 2:39 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03
I looked to see if my recipe was still up, it is not. Enough fish to fill 3/4 gallon/ 5-6 average northerns. Follow eyesman recipe. I use 1/2 cup salt to 1 quart for the brine. I used to use 5/8 but it seems a little too salty. Here is my recipe for a great brine. 4 cups wine, I usually use white port as it is cheap but chardonnay is good too, 2 cups white vinegar. 3/4 cup water 3 cups sugar 3 tbls pickling spice. I have tried using cider vinegar for the second day soak I thought it wasnt as good. but you can try whatever you want. This brine recipe is for a gallon Jar. Also mix it up every day so it brines evenly. If it seems too tightly compacted divide it in half and put it in 2 containers. use plenty of onions too.This is the closest to a good commercial picled herring like ELF that I have ever prepared. I dont like VITA it is too salty tasting.
1/21/16 @ 2:39 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03
I looked to see if my recipe was still up, it is not. Enough fish to fill 3/4 gallon/ 5-6 average northerns. Follow eyesman recipe. I use 1/2 cup salt to 1 quart for the brine. I used to use 5/8 but it seems a little too salty. Here is my recipe for a great brine. 4 cups wine, I usually use white port as it is cheap but chardonnay is good too, 2 cups white vinegar. 3/4 cup water 3 cups sugar 3 tbls pickling spice. I have tried using cider vinegar for the second day soak I thought it wasnt as good. but you can try whatever you want. This brine recipe is for a gallon Jar. Also mix it up every day so it brines evenly. If it seems too tightly compacted divide it in half and put it in 2 containers. use plenty of onions too.This is the closest to a good commercial picled herring like ELF that I have ever prepared. I dont like VITA it is too salty tasting.
8/5/14 @ 1:59 PM
Thiel66
User since 1/9/14
I pretty much do the same thing as eyesman, but I put the pickleing spice in a coffee filter and tie it off. That way when I put it in a jar the spice is not floating around. Ive noticed that the taste can get stronger when the spice is left in the jar. It is just a personal preference of mine.
8/5/14 @ 11:32 AM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04
Just did the recipe variation with the red port. Delicious, like eating candy.
2/15/14 @ 9:10 AM
Duck Dodger
User since 11/5/09
I've never put mushrooms in with my fish, but I always do a batch of mushrooms after the jar of eggs is gone. Speaking of... I think I just found a perfect project for today!
2/14/14 @ 6:15 PM
cooter2
User since 11/30/13
Eyesman, pretty much the same recipe I use.I add some whole canned button mushrooms, problem is; people dig around to get the shrooms first Tounge Out
Displaying 1 to 15 of 44 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE