SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Pickled Fish Recipe

1/18/12 @ 12:44 PM
INITIAL POST
Igor
User since 6/20/01
I am in need of some help here. A couple years back there was a pickled pike recipe I used that was fabulous. It not only had the usual ingredients but also crushed red pepper and whole peppercorns. I've done about a dozen different searches but can't seem to find the thread. What I DO remember is one of the posters had photos of MANY MANY jars of finished product in the posting. Can anyone help? My search yielded 3 threads relating to pickling but none of these had what I am looking for. Thanks a lot.
Displaying 16 to 30 of 44 posts
2/14/14 @ 10:42 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
Fillet fish and skin, remove the mudline, any fat from the meat and cut into bite size pieces. Mix 3 cups water to 1/2 cup pickling salt, place fish in the salt brine, refrigerate for 48 hours stirring a few times. Drain fish and cover with white vinegar, refrigerate for 48 hours stirring a few times. Prepare a brine using 1 cup vinegar, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup White Port wine and one tablespoon pickling spice. Simmer brine for 20 minutes and cool. Once brine is cool I add one cup wine, for each cup of wine in the brine recipe, to the cooled brine. Remove fish from the vinegar and place in a jar with layers of onion. Cover with brine. Age in the fridge for 7 - 10 days and enjoy. Fish will keep for several months in the fridge. I have done whitefish, walleye, northern and white bass with this recipe with good results. A friend uses this recipe and adds diced halepenos to the jar along with the onion. Cold water fish are better for pickling. Any bones in the fish will dissolve before eating. When I do 10 whitefish for pickling I need to use 5 times brine mix ratio to get enough to cover the fish. I get Fairbank White Port wine in the 1.5 L bottle. When mixing the salt and water for the salt brine be sure to make plenty to cover the fish well.
1/30/14 @ 8:38 PM
Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
PRO MEMBER User since 2/12/02
Here is my sure fire recipe for pickeled fish. It is easy and it tastes GREAT. Ma Baensch would be proud. Have NEVER heard a complaint. 3 lbs fish cubed 4 cups water 1 cup canning/pickling salt 8 cups distilled white vinegar, divided in half 1 very large red or white onion sliced thinly 4 cups sugar 2 Tbsp Mustard seed 6 bay leaves 20 whole cloves MAKES 3 Quarts or 6 PINTS In a large non metallic bowl add salt and water. Stir it until it is dissolved or close to it. Add fish and cover. Refrigerate for 2 days. Drain and rinse fish in cold water. Put fish in a new bowl and Add 4 cups of the vinegar. Refrigerate for 1 day. Drain and toss out vinegar. Do not rinse. Layer fish and onions in jars ....Cover and chill till you add sauce. THE SAUCE ( Making this ahead of time works best) In a saucepan add the following The remaining 4 cups vinegar the sugar and spices. Bring this all to a boil stirring constantly. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir occasionally for the next 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely. I have cooled it in snow piles or on ice when I forgot to make it ahead of time and am not in a mood for waiting. Pour this over the fish and onions you have jarred and put it in the refrigerator for a week. They are good in 4 days but a full week is best if you can wait. I have made large batchs and kept and ate them for as long as 8 weeks.
1/30/14 @ 7:45 PM
Higgs
User since 1/14/13
Did some white bass this week. Will be ready this weekend.
1/28/14 @ 8:11 AM
Panny Man
User since 1/6/10
Will that canned o pike work with panfish
1/28/14 @ 6:35 AM
cabinbum
User since 4/1/10
some things to make with northerns. Canned Pike 1 Tbs lemon juice 1 Tbs ketchup 1 Tbs oil (optional) 1/2 tsp salt Put fish in pint jars, put ingredients on top of fish. Process at 11 lbs for 100 minutes. I prefer to debone fish and clean all 'red' meat off fillets, however bones may be left in since they will become soft under canning pressure. Pike Dip Dip Recipe 1 1 pint canned boneless pike 1 (8 oz) pack of cream cheese 1 tsp of liquid smoke 2 Tbs prepared horseradish 1 Tbs soy sauce Squeeze as much water out of the fish as you can, I just empty the water out of the jars and use a spoon to push it down while tilting it into the sink, gets a little more liquid out. Throw everything into a kitchen aid mixer and let it mix at low speed for a few minutes. Serve cold with multi-grain crackers or something similar. Dip Recipe 2 Do your best to get the pike fillets boneless before you begin. 1.Boil pike fillets in chicken stock until cooked and easily flakes apart (save a little of the chicken stock for later). Let fillets cool in the fridge for a bit. I usually use 1-2 pounds of meat. Can use more but will need to adjust amount of veggies, mayo, seasonings, and cheese. 2.Meanwhile FINELY chop up your favorite veggies. The smaller the better. I use green onion, black olives, green pepper, and green olives with pimentos. 3.Take cooked fillets out of fridge and shred apart, remove any remaining bones. 4.Add shredded pike meat to the finely chopped veggies and add just enough mayonnaise/miracle whip to coat all of the fish, do not need that much. I also add a little bit of the chicken stock to thin out the mayo. Again amounts will vary for the amount of dip you make. 5.Add some finely shredded cheddar cheese and your favorite seasoning. I use Tony’s creole and some Old Bay. 6.Mix together well and put in fridge, best if it sits overnight. 7.Serve with crackers and enjoy, it is addicting. You can play with the amounts for your taste I tend to like lots of veggies and like it spicy so I add quite a bit of creole seasoning. Shrimp and Black Bean Soup with Pike 2 medium onions, chopped 4 cloves garlic, minced 1 can whole tomatoes 3 141/2 cans of reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth 2 15 oz cans black beans, drained 1 t ground cumin 1 t dried oregano leaves 1 t dried thyme leaves 1 bay leaf 1 pound peeled, deveined raw shrimp, about size 40 cut in two pieces 1 pound baked pike Vegetable cooking spray or butter Salt and pepper to taste Lemon pepper Preheat oven to 350 degrees, bake pike on sprayed cookie pan, season with lemon pepper, cook till firm. Spray large saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Add one tablespoon of butter sauté onions and garlic until tender, about five minutes. Process onion mixture, tomatoes, and one can chicken broth until smooth; return to saucepan. Add remaining 2 cans broth, black beans and herbs to saucepan; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, adding shrimp and crumbled pike during last 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf and season with salt and pepper. Pike Chowder 2 cups diced northern pike – 1' chunk sprinkled with seafood seasoning Melt 4 T butter Add 1 chopped onion 3-4 diced potatoes 1 stick celery Carrots Cook potatoes and carrots until done Add 1 can evaporated milk Add 1 can cream of celery soup Add fish Add can of whole corn (drained) Simmer 20 minutes until fish is flakey, season to taste. Poor Man's Lobster 2 1/2 cups white wine 1 small onion 4 lemon slices 1 tsp salt 1/8 tsp peppercorns 1 small bay leaf 1.5 pounds fish (3/4 inch thick) Boil 4-5 minutes until fish turns snow white. Serve with melted butter and fresh lemon wedge Fish Tacos First meal, cut de-bonded pike in to fish sticks, bread and deep fry. Second meal use trimmings and odd shaped pieces from first meal. Re-heat in pan with olive oil and dill weed. Break fish apart into flakes and stir in freshly chopped cilantro to taste. Serve in heated taco shells with regular add-ons (onions, diced tomato, olives, sour cream, etc.) and Spanish rice. Cedar Planked Pike Soak a cedar plank for at least 1 hour or longer until the wood becomes saturated. Keep plank in water until ready for use. Pike Fillets (Rub quantities should make enough for 2 decent size fillets), 2-3 fresh sprigs of rosemary Rub: 1/2 Tbs smoked paprika 1/4 tsp cayenne 2 tsp garlic powder 1 tsp onion powder 1/4 tsp cumin 1/4 tsp ground coriander 2 Tbs brown sugar 1 tsp salt 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper Mix rub ingredients thoroughly. Apply to fish. Set aside. Heat your grill to 350 degrees (better with charcoal than with gas but both work, you can also use your oven just be careful the wood plank will smoke). Place rosemary on soaked plank on grill for 5 minutes prior to putting fish on it. Place fish on plank overtop the rosemary and cook until tender. Do not flip fish. Serve on plank. Pickled Pickled Recipe 1 Phase 1: (I make mine in gallon batches usually. Just up the quantities as you up the amount of fish). 1 quart fish cut into bite size pieces 1/2 cup pickling salt Cover with white vinegar. Let stand in fridge for 6 days. Agitate once in a while to ensure fish is covered and brining well. Phase 2: Wash fish in cold water to remove the 1st brine. Mix 2 parts white vinegar to 1 part sugar. Add 1 Tbs pickling spice to each quart jar. Add however much sliced onion you like. Generally 1 large onion will be plenty for a gallon. Layer in quart or gallon jar. Cover with the brine solution. Refrigerate. Fish should be ready in a week. If you want to spice things up a bit... things I have added include crushed red pepper flakes/seeds (surprisingly, packets you can get from pizza places work great. Season to your preferred spiciness.) garlic cloves, mustard seed, and horseradish are others I am toying with. To keep the pickling spice off of the fish i will wrap it in cheesecloth so it is like a teabag. Hot red peppers or jalapenos can be cut in half and put in as well for pretty good kick. Horseradish I have cleaned and put the entire root into the final brine. Best to find fresh horseradish. I happen to know where there is wild horseradish growing in the Nettie area. One I haven't tried yet is tabasco sauce. Not sure if it will change the pH of the brine. The basic recipe above is mostly what I make. Turns out pretty good in my opinion and most people enjoy it. Note: These are not sealed jars and should be kept in the fridge at all times. I will boil my jars and fill as soon as they come out of the water bath. Once lids are on the cooling effect seemingly helps seal them. Pickled Recipe 2 1/2 gallon of fish (I prefer to de-bone, take the lateral line off, and remove all 'red' meat from fillets) Cut fish into bite size chunks 4 cups water + 1 cup salt Soak for 48 hours Drain and rinse in cold water and cover with white vinegar for 24 hours, drian. Brine Onions 2 t peppercorns 2 T minced garlic 3 T lemon juice 2 cups white vinegar 1 1/2 cups sugar 4+ bay leaves 5 whole cloves (more is better) 1 T All spice whole Combine and soak for 10 days. Option – add a jalapeno to spice it up a bit. For a double batch of fish, triple the brine. Pickled Recipe 3 Steps: 1.Cut pike fillets or Y-bone strips into 1' cubes 2.Pack fish cubes into 1 quart jars 3.Add 1/2 cup pickling salt to each jar 4.Fill each jar to the top with white vinegar, cap jars, and store in refrigerator 5.For 7 days, tip the jars twice a day to mix the salt 6.After 7 days, drain the fish from the jars 7.Let fish stand in fresh cold water for 2 hours (ice can be added to water) 8.After 2 hours drain fish 9.Heat (do not boil) 1 cup white sugar and 1 cup white vinegar and let mixture fully cool to room temperature 10.Add fish, chopped onions, and pickling spice to each quart jar and fill with cooled brine mixture 11.Let jars sit an additional 7 days in the refrigerator before eating (pickled fish will keep for at least one month in the refrigerator) *I like use this recipe for the Y-bone strips I take out of those 5-7lb (28-32') pike, since I have hard time just throwing all that meat away. For pike larger than 8lbs the bones do not dissolve like on the smaller fish. . .. ... Fishing
5/26/13 @ 1:09 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12
Just making up a batch of pickled fish I use a slightly different recipe then below but for all intensive purposes its the same only changes I make is a little dry vermouth and I like a white wine over a red but that is just me everyone's tatses are a little different I did some experimenting on a few jars tried a little horseradish in two put some garlic and carrot and a hot pepper in two. If u follow the recipes that have been posted here u will b super happy with all you will need to tweak them to your taste buds thou some like little move sweet some like spicy ect good luck and keep up the tradition
5/26/13 @ 1:06 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12
Just making up a batch of pickled fish I use a slightly different recipe then below but for all intensive purposes its the same only changes I make is a little dry vermouth and I like a white wine over a red but that is just me everyone's tatses are a little different I did some experimenting on a few jars tried a little horseradish in two put some garlic and carrot and a hot pepper in two. If u follow the recipes that have been posted here u will b super happy with all you will need to tweak them to your taste buds thou some like little move sweet some like spicy ect good luck and keep up the tradition
5/24/13 @ 10:04 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12
Just a FYI when ever u r pickling fresh water fish you need to cook it or freeze it before u brine it or you run the risk of picking up parasites the broadband tape worm to be exact while I have eaten buckets full that were not cooked or frozen u do run the risk of getting hitch hikers according to the a bunch of studies pike r the biggest culprits while I have never gotten sick I do freeze all fish first because the brine and such does not kill the eggs from the tape worm I do not like the cooked pickled fish it is mushy to me but freezing doesn't change anything and u won't run the risk of getting friends and family sick just a little safety tip and I know I'm gonna here all the I've eaten it the old fashion way for yrs comment so have I this is just what the science says do what u want how u want just passing along the info to my brothers and sisters
5/19/13 @ 10:49 AM
Bighedfred
User since 3/15/09
I used one recipe I found here with rhine wine but 3 cups of sugar was too sweet for me. The whitefish I tried were great and the whitebass were pretty good but seemed a little tougher.
5/10/13 @ 4:54 PM
SFC S
User since 1/24/06
just sampled my batch this year, too vinegary for my taste. gonna dump off the juice and re-cover it with a sweeter mix. More chablis wine and more sugar.
4/19/13 @ 4:56 PM
Zipps
User since 2/8/12
Has anyone tried sheepshead? I kept some out of bago, gave them to my dad to smoke and they turned out fairly good, just like smoked chubs.
3/11/13 @ 11:05 AM
utahman
User since 3/9/03
I do redhorse and blacks. They are very good because the soft flesh is more like herring flesh. I used to do a lot of northern, and smoke the suckers. Now I smoke the northern and pickle the suckers, because of all the bones in the suckers
3/8/13 @ 7:09 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Anyone pickle suckers???
3/7/13 @ 12:27 PM
Panny Man
User since 1/6/10
I pickled perch this yr just seem to take a little longer before they were tasty. Did bluegill the other week best fish in the world to pickle unbelievable the firmness way better than acrappie I think. I dont think I'd do perch again
2/20/13 @ 4:06 PM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03
I’ve made crappies before but I do them different than pike, they come out like shrimp rather than herring. Soak the bite size, skinless crappie fillets in lime juice and canning salt for two days in the fridge, stirring a few times. Rinse in cold water and mix together in a bowl with Catalina dressing, diced onions and Hoffmann’s shrimp sauce. Give that another day in the fridge and it’s good to go. Serve with crackers. Sorry, I don't have exact measurements, I usually just wing it based on how many fillets I want to do. There’s not much to screw up with these few ingredients.
Displaying 16 to 30 of 44 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE