MORE
Fly Fishing

Carp on the fly

5/18/04 @ 10:35 AM
INITIAL POST
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
This used to be on here, with the new format, it must have been lost. Has anyone else been doing this? Carp are great fun on the flyrod and with the fact that they are so widespread, there almost has to be a good population close to home. When you hook one, it's like hooking a truck, you'll see you backing just about everytime

Displaying 90 to 104 of 162 posts
4/5/07 @ 7:56 AM
Wang Chung
User since 6/19/01
you can probably try a weighter san juan redworm or any small worm immitations. HAven't tried it myself. But a guy at work mentioned to use small hooks on a piece of crawler. So I would think a small worm immitation would work.

4/4/07 @ 6:01 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
I used to tie "corn flies" spinning yellow deer hair on top of wire. it worked ok if you chummed the area first. Then I realized that there are much more fun and productive ways to chase them. Buffalo eat the same stuff as common carp. Even grass carp (strictly vegetarian) will take flies if presented properly.

4/4/07 @ 12:26 PM
frenchbadger
User since 1/24/07
If buffalo are veggies will they hit corn? Might make a pretty interesting tying project.

3/17/07 @ 11:04 AM
Surf
User since 1/18/07
I posted this in another forum but wanted to see if I could get a response here too.

From what I understand Buffalo are a type of vegetarian fish? Has anyone had any luck catching them on a hook with any type of bait? I know when the Kickapoo floods from an early warm rain in April that there is a good chance of spearing them because they are thick as flees on a dog in the backwater. I thought of this because someone had asked if there were any flys that work on them. Thanks Surf

3/5/07 @ 5:07 PM
frenchbadger
User since 1/24/07
Has anyone ever caught buffalo on flies? I know they seldom hit bait. Just wondered know a spot where there are some really big ones.

1/24/07 @ 5:02 PM
wishwasonwater
User since 11/2/05
Brassies or more of a bugger pattern do you prefer for carp?

P.s. tstoger nice occupation on your profile.

1/12/07 @ 12:33 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
That is too cool! I wish that had something like that around here! Then again, there are several folks at work I would like to drop in too.

1/11/07 @ 7:44 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Hehehe..

That is a location in Colorado.. They let you fish for the Carp which are raised for food for those big boys.. So you get to catch the Carp, then feed them to the monsters..

1/11/07 @ 6:48 PM
7 Rivers
User since 8/27/02
Gators in Lake Michigan!!?? Global warming indeed.

1/11/07 @ 2:34 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
Their hook up rate is better than mine..
1/11/07 @ 9:00 AM
TeamBerettaGold
User since 3/10/05
I swear I had the new world record on once, then my new reel exploded from the weight it was under, and I couldnt reel it in anymore and had to snap it. Lake Michigan Carp

TBG

12/13/06 @ 12:04 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
Broke 40 lbs once (42). 30 lots of times. Then again I fish Lake Michigan fairly often. River fish average a bit smaller. Average maybe 8-12 lbs. A 20 lb fish is a good one.

12/13/06 @ 11:38 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
30+ pound common Carp in Lake Michigan. Caught a 48lb here in Colorado.

12/13/06 @ 12:03 AM
Jokers Wild
Jokers Wild
User since 9/25/06
whats the biggest carp anyone has caught on a fly? Joker

12/6/06 @ 7:47 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
same flies as for trout or smallies or well you get the idea.... Basically. Emergers and dries when they are on top, match the hatch. Crayfish patterns over rocky bottoms. Fox clousers. clouser swimming nymphs. hares ears, PTs, BWO nymphs over mud or muck bottom. San Juan worm in natural colors. bonefish flies in natural colors. turkey leeches. woolly buggers.

Displaying 90 to 104 of 162 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE