SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Drones

5/28/14 @ 1:12 AM
INITIAL POST
Jackbass
User since 1/29/02
Anyone flying one? Certainly provides a different perspective...
Displaying 61 to 75 of 109 posts
6/5/14 @ 1:46 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
there not done writing laws about these things, but you can see that the lawyers are going to be having a field day... someone it going to be making a lot of money, and not just the drone mfg'ers and if somebody is making money, someone else is paying
6/5/14 @ 1:15 PM
Jackbass
User since 1/29/02
A person does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in public places, they do have that on their private property. Text That I agree with completely, what I meant is that if someone is on their own property, I can't use my drone to record or observe them, whether the drone is over their property, my property or public property. I can fly over any property with a camera equipped drone, provided I don't do that or endanger anyone's safety or I imagine otherwise disturb that person. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw4Ej41niO8 yay I figured out how to link on here!
6/5/14 @ 1:03 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
it says you can't use that camera-equipped drone to observe an individual, whether you're over their property or not, without that individual's consent No it does not.. it says.. 942.10 Use of a drone. Whoever uses a drone, as defined in s. 175.55 (1) (a), to photograph, record, or otherwise observe another individual in a place where the individual has a reasonable expectation of privacy is guilty of Class A misdemeanor. A person does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in public places, they do have that on their private property.
6/5/14 @ 12:52 PM
Jackbass
User since 1/29/02
One could assume the camera could be used to record someone (or their property), but one could also assume that the camera was being used for FPV flight reference or to get a shot of a neighboring property or feature far in the distance. My point is the law doesn't say you can't fly a craft equipped with a camera over someone's property, it says you can't use that camera-equipped drone to observe an individual, whether you're over their property or not, without that individual's consent, which I agree with completely.
6/5/14 @ 12:16 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
The problem is that an individuals privacy interests extend beyond the person. It also includes their personal property... So if you are flying a drone with recording capabilities, one could or would assume it is or can be used. If you remove the recording devices.. fine..
6/5/14 @ 11:44 AM
Jackbass
User since 1/29/02
That's not how I read it. Illegal to record someone yes, but to simply fly over an area and not record/monitor an individual, legal.
6/5/14 @ 11:21 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
That bill does make it illegal to fly a personal drone, with video or recording capabilities over private property without permission.
6/5/14 @ 10:41 AM
Jackbass
User since 1/29/02
Keeper 2, I don't know where you're at, but everytime I go up north (Ashland County), I get cell reception in a new place...I hate it because that's always been one of the thing I liked about going up--no one could get a hold of meSmile Dave, I can see how the bill would make it illegal to spy on someone when flying over their land, but it doesn't restrict flying in the airspace. Tinman, I totally see your point and wouldn't advocate that type of use. Sucks to have nosy neighbors. Still they are kind of fun if used in the appropriate manner... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJQAIcFDCko http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tg9ZkVVzAg
6/5/14 @ 9:35 AM
keeper2
PRO MEMBER User since 9/5/02
I need a drone to hover overhead carrying an antenna so I finally get some decent reception in the far Northwoods for my cell phone and computer...!
6/5/14 @ 9:04 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
Here is a nice site for this discussion. Wisconsin already has laws in place making it a Class A Misdemeanor for use over private property... Check it out: https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2013/related/proposals/sb196.pdf http://www.drone-laws.com/map/ Colorado only has laws to limit use for hunting.. Old Salt.. I would check with the DNR before you do that. They feel their law making it illegal to use aerial devices to aid in hunting covers them. I understand you want to use it do responsibility recover your deer (which is great), but if they consider that "part" of the hunt you may put yourself in a spot depending on interpretation...
6/5/14 @ 8:08 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
will be interesting to see what laws come out of these things... WI already has new laws directed toward privacy issues and LE issues
6/5/14 @ 6:36 AM
Old Salt
Old Salt
User since 8/14/02
I'm considering getting one, but not for recon. I want one to assist in tracking during the warm early archery season. Almost without fail, when I arrow a deer on my property it runs straight for the adjacent marsh. When they get in there, you basically need to stumble over it to find it. Having an aerial view to look straight down through the march grass would give a perfect profile of the downed deer and save A LOT of tracking time when the temps are in the 80's or even higher.
6/4/14 @ 7:18 PM
TinmanTJR
TinmanTJR
User since 2/17/04
To those in the "blast 'em" with my 12 gauge camp: Do you do this with any low flying aircraft that comes over your property? Covered that in an earlier post. My concern: I know other parties hunting adjacent acreage to mine would like to peer in on what I am doing, or watch animal movements or other land management projects taking place to improve their results on connecting edges of property. They could not have seen this on the ground without trespassing. Yes, they could hitch a ride in plane and fly over as I have, but the detail available hovering at a lower altitude would be much greater. I would also hate to have someone filing complaints with the DNR on something they see they don't like, but is not illegal. Once the DNR steps on your property, watch out! My cousin has dealt with this problem on land up north for years, and the neighbors had to have illegally entered his property to notice the work being done. All the work was legal, and improved the value and habitat of his property. Some of the improvements were to minimize damage from forestry management/tree cutting taking place on the property. But it had an impact on the neighboring hunting camp, so they spied on his property and filed report after report. Lots of legal challenges, lots of $ to lawyers, for nothing. Drones: Fly 'em over your property, I don't have a problem. Fly'em low over mine, pausing to look in, I have a problem. You might as well walk in and help yourself, same difference in my eyes.
6/4/14 @ 12:17 PM
Jackbass
User since 1/29/02
Yeah kind of what I was thinking DD. I just think they take cool pictures. The one in my OP really showed detail on the break-line that I never knew existed, and I've fished here my whole life. I also flew over my brother in-law's in the winter and was pretty blown away by how clear the "deer highways" showed up. Gave me some good ideas for some new stands.
6/4/14 @ 12:05 PM
Jackbass
User since 1/29/02
To those in the "blast 'em" with my 12 gauge camp: Do you do this with any low flying aircraft that comes over your property?
Displaying 61 to 75 of 109 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE