MORE
Big Game Hunting

CWD found in Oneida co Wis.

12/3/15 @ 8:03 PM
INITIAL POST
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
The DNR tested a deer on a game farm and it tested positive for CWD.Does this mean they will ban baiting in Oneida and surrounding counties?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 62 posts
2/14/16 @ 3:02 PM
John.Rennpferd
User since 6/3/10
What do you mean GB?
2/13/16 @ 11:05 PM
Gator-baitor
User since 2/6/05
Hope your not a bear hunter because there could be things said about that too!
2/10/16 @ 12:03 AM
John.Rennpferd
User since 6/3/10
The various DNR agencies are cagey about CWD; on one hand they downplay the concerns, on the other hand they tell you to not consume anything from a deer that has tested positive for CWD. It's definitely not helping the deer herds. Depending on which source you want to trust more (Wyoming DNR, or Colorado) CWD could be killing off 19% to 25% of the deer herds annually. Those states had CWD significantly earlier, so maybe they are at disease saturation, and seeing more mortality due to the amount of the disease in the environment. Everything I have ever read that is dire is from the vegetarian/vegan crowd. Everything I have ever read that was all forget about the boggy man is from deer farms. We'll never know unless the CDC does something; the states seem incapable.
2/9/16 @ 8:57 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01
Eliminating game farms would help control the spread of CWD in Wisconsin. The DNR insists that the deer are clean and disease free, yet game farms seem to spread the disease. If the disease is in the soil of game farms, bringing in disease free deer will only result in more deer being exposed to the disease. The game farms need to become extinct.
2/8/16 @ 9:56 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05
ihook- If your not hunting at the bedroom door your not going to kill a big one early with bait. I wouldn't say I am hunting or have cameras in the "thick" stuff though. The whole general area I hunt is all thick stuff for the most part. I try to find openings to hunt that are close to areas I think the bigger deer will want to bed in. If I bump a deer and he moves a half mile then I will move a half mile after him. I can go about 6 miles in any direction without hitting private land so I hunt the deer where the deer wants to live. I got burned bad this year by sharing trailcam photos of public land deer. So I don't share pictures of deer that are still alive anymore. Here are a few I know didn't make it.
2/7/16 @ 10:35 PM
fishmanry
User since 6/22/12
Baiting has nothing to do with it anyone that spends plenty of time in the woods would know deer lick each other touch noses they spread there own saliva when bucks are fighting do you think saliva gets spread I believe the Dnr stopping baiting is more of a ploy to let everyone have a chance at seeing and shooting deer there are people that bait them and the deer stay on there property they don't have to travel miles to feed naturally stopping baiting will not stop the spread it may slow it but there is no stopping it and like previously said it hasn't spread to humans or killed herds so I say let it do its thing
2/7/16 @ 3:48 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12
My opinion on CWD and baiting are this. CWD is a stand alone issue. It has been an issue in the western states for 20 plus years and has not wiped out the elk and deer herds. I still cannot find one verified example of CWD found in a human. The CWD prion is found in the soil, in bedding, and other deer frequented areas. CWD is also through transmitted through deer interaction. If the state was really concerned about CWD it would direct its attention on the one area where something could be done. Deer Farms. Double fencing for example. Baiting is also a stand alone issue. It is either legal statewide or banned statewide. I personally don't care either way, but WDNR and State Legislature quit clouding it by tying it into CWD and make a decision.
2/6/16 @ 11:45 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Noluck, I dont think there is one case of it in a human. Also, it sure won't stop hunters from baiting . Ya got that right. Baiters will be baiters even if it turns them into violators. Is a deer for the ego so important that they will violate or take a deer illegally? Sure sounds like it. The true sportsman will not bait if it is illegal, but the slob hunter will keep right on baiting , violating shooting ofter hours ETC. Maybe we need to get serious about bating in the areas that it is illegal. How about $1,000 fine and 5 yrs without a license in any state? It doesn't look like Price co is going to ban bait. Now I have to put up with more baiters on the public cause baiters need to go Price co and bait cause Vilas and Oneida will have a ban. Oh well.
2/6/16 @ 8:38 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12
Does anyone know of a reported verifiable case of CWD in a human?
2/6/16 @ 6:29 PM
klobros
klobros
User since 12/12/13
Just because baiting is banned doesn't mean people are going to stop. We sold 24 tons just yesterday for next fall, that is from just one gas station owner. That is 960 50# bags. The only guys you are going to hurt by banning baiting is the guys that hunt on public land and they need all the help they can get. You will never get rid of cwd no matter what DNR says or dose.
2/6/16 @ 3:30 PM
John.Rennpferd
User since 6/3/10
Elimination of cwd might not be possible. To eliminate cwd we need to thin the deer herd statewide to impossibly small numbers, or find some sort of vaccine. The cwd prion is a frankenstein, no one seems to know anything about it. Biologists dont know if it can jump the species barrier into humans, but plants can uptake it. How long before we see cwd prions rampant in the corn supply itself? Plus its super persistent in the environment, cant even get burned out of soil. And pretty much all big game spread it through saliva, stool, urine, blood, and eventually decomposition of corpses. 1 we need to ban baiting state wide. 2 we need to ban game farms state wide. 3 we need to explicitly define the difference between food plots, and qdma land management practices, then ban food plots. And then the hard part; thin the herd state wide to a point where everyone is miserable, and hold it there for 3 to 5 years. But then none of it might work so why... Ultimately I would just ban bait, food plots, and game farms because all three cheapen, and be hurts the concept of being a sportsman.
2/6/16 @ 1:16 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Saronafish, if you are getting pics of big bucks in the daytime , you are close to their beds without bumping them. Lets see some of the trail cam pics and I bet it is in thick brush. Lets see them,
2/5/16 @ 9:20 PM
Gator-baitor
User since 2/6/05
You are right on maybe banning Deer farms or at least having them double fence so the deer wouldn't be able to contact one another through the fenced in enclosures. until deer are found in the wild that are cwd positive I think baiting should be allowed, why should we pay the price for something that was found on a deer farm or trophy ranch! Especially when others are not doing there part like the dnr only having to monitored fences once a decade,their only job as far as deer farms go. The DATCP allowing transfers of deer from out of the country like Saskatchewan, Canada to Three lakes Trophy Ranch in Three lakes,Wi. Search Whitetails of Wisconsin association on the web. When you get there go to subtitle that says members, click on that, then look at second owners down, Jan & Sarah Alsager/Rick & Suzann Alsager, then directly under their name is the name of their deer ranch, Three Lakes Trophy Ranch. Click on only the name of the ranch and it will bring up the information of that ranch and you will see where they had operated in Saskatchewan, Canada before moving to Three Lakes Wi. Then research cwd in Saskatchewan and will find that the disease runs ramp-id in the providence and is probably the worst on the North American Continent! I was told by the DATCP head veterinarian because the deer had a 100% clean bill of health that's why the transfer was made. Personally I don't care if they had two clean bills of health. From a area like that. WTF! What do you think? They claim that the two male deer were born on this ranch,even at that where are the parental deer and do they have cwd too! Another reason of concern is that if that farm needs to be depopulated it should be done now before fawning time Right now it would cost 637,500 dollars to reimburse the deer farmer or rancher, That's 425 deer@ 1500 dollars a deer. Just think what the total could be after the fawns are born! We the taxpayers would have to pick up the price of that reimbursement if no federal funds are available like what happen in Fall Creek Wi. The taxpayers picked up that tab for paying a deer farmer there at a price of almost 300,000 dollars!Pick up a copy of January Outdoor News newspaper and read it and you find information of interest. Call me at 715-324-6780 if you have any questions! How do you kill a dandelion weed? Think! YOU KILL THE ROOT And hunters baiting is not the that root!
2/1/16 @ 10:53 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05
ihookem, I will only check a camera 2 times each month during the summer. I have enough cameras I am going at least once a week to check them though. During season I might check the same camera 1-3 times per week. Sometimes more if I am hunting the area too. I know 5 other people that hunt the same general area of public and have a very similar system to me. Between the 6 of us we killed a 160, 158, 156, 140+ and 136 with bows this year all over bait and only the 158 was killed during what most people would call the "rut". I have all kinds of day light pictures of the 160, 156 and the 136. The formula you gave for killing a big buck might work for the area you hunt but it doesn't work for our area. I think all 6 of us would agree that the rut is not the best time to kill a big buck. There is too much luck that comes into play and that's when the bulk of bow hunters figure its time to hit the woods putting more pressure on the deer and the harder working gun hunters start to bait which shifts patterns as well.
2/1/16 @ 9:48 AM
Fishy1960
User since 10/15/15
Just to clarify -the comment making Violaters out of a lot of people was towards the feeding in the yard portion. Not towards hunting over bait. That would be very risky and out and out illegal. Most hunters including myself will not place bait out if it isn't legal. But some will still do it-that would be poor in judgement. I also hunt in the central part of the state and have had no problem killing deer including some nice P&Y bucks with out bait. These areas I hunt in are closed for baiting. When no one is baiting it does equal the playing field. The baiting does give me a little edge in my area of Northern Sawyer that has no agriculture and not a lot of deer. My concern is people who own homes and acreage who enjoy watching and feeding wildlife in the winter should be able to do that even after the seasons have closed-that way no one can accuse them of hunting over bait. And the prevouse post is right-most nice bucks killed over bait in the first part of bow season are not in the bait to feed in shooting hours-there tracking does down. But some of the biggest bucks each year are killed late season-over bait when we have a lot of snow and cold. That part of baiting is very effective-but in my opinion not that sporty and I personally don't do it. CWD is not going away, but its also not a game changer with our sport. I hunt in Meeker Colorado for Elk every year-the Elk herd up and feed in the low lands all winter on hay bales and in winter wheat fields in huge herds numbering in the hundreds and are very consentrated-they have had CWD for years and years and its pretty much a mute point out there. The herd numbers keep growing every year and the CWD deaths are in very low numbers. A person who wants to throw some corn in the back yard after the hunting seasons are closed and who isn't on a road a road marked at 45 MPH or more should be able to do that without fear of a DNR fine,
Displaying 1 to 15 of 62 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE