MORE
Big Game Hunting

CWD found in Oneida co Wis.

12/3/15 @ 8:03 PM
INITIAL POST
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
The DNR tested a deer on a game farm and it tested positive for CWD.Does this mean they will ban baiting in Oneida and surrounding counties?
Displaying 31 to 45 of 62 posts
12/5/15 @ 9:10 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
So if they are poaching deer at night, you dont care huh? Also, baiting in farm country next to ag fields won't do much. Baiting in the big woods is a whole new story bud.
12/5/15 @ 8:15 PM
klobros
klobros
User since 12/12/13
Let me just start out by saying I don't bait any more, but I used to until it was banned by me here in Marathon county. And all you non baiters make me laugh. The deer don't move, every deer is nocturnal, everybody puts to much bait out, guys violate off bait piles and hundred other things. All I know is after the last 4 or so years I found out there are more deer going to food plots or my corn, soybean, winter wheat, hay fields and its not even close! You can dump a dump truck load of corn in the woods and will not compete with Ag crops or food plots, what you guys going to want next banning all Ag crops and food plots? I got neighbors all around me that still bait, but I don't care they can do what ever they want. And no I wont turn them in I don't care! They hunt the way they do and I hunt the way I do, I don't understand why all you guys worry about what the dam neighbors are doing, who cares.
12/5/15 @ 5:02 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
And, ya know, it's not the baiting so much as it is the violations that seem to hand in hand. Many times I have put out a coffee cup on corn and it was enough to bring them in for a bite just long enough to give me a shot if I wanted it. It takes very little corn to bring one in. It is the night shooters, 6 am shooters, Atv's on public land baiters, over baiters, territory baiters, permanent tree stand on public land baiters ETC. A bit of baiting in the woods is not the problem if it were a cup or two. It seems it brings all kinds of other things along with it. Ask any warden up north, most will say baiting in a pain in the butt. If everyone put out 1 cup before climbing their stand it might not be so bad . They would eat a bit and move along. Seems to be a mentality , or fear that there is a bigger bait pile on the other ridge and makes people think they need even more than the neighbor. Just the opposite is true. And, , if the deer come in to the bait too often, , the first pack of wolves that come through smell a bunch of deer in an area. There is no doubt wolves know this when they see a bait pile.
12/5/15 @ 4:46 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
41 down........31 to go
12/5/15 @ 3:50 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15
Finally. No baiting. Took long enough. Hopefully soon it will be statewide
12/5/15 @ 2:15 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Some real good posts here. DNR want so ban baiting cause of a CWD in a penned up deer. No logic at all . It is an excuse to ban bait, no doubt. Although, I have had problems with baiters down the road from me . Poaching was also present at the same time (Warden proved it) I dont know what it is about baiting . I'm not saying all baiters are violators or slob hunters, but I will say this, all violators / slob hunters are baiters. I used to bait but chose not to . Noone in our camp does neither and our buck poll shows it. I could shoot a buck up in Price co. with my bow and gun every single year period if I baited . It is that easy. So easy in fact I dont consider it hunting. I find it much more rewarding to hunt outside bedding / trails . I shoot a fraction of the deer I used to over bait but enjoy it a whole lot more shooting a deer moving down the trail. Rather shoot a doe now and again naturally than a buck over corn. Much more rewarding, ( and Harder) I also have land in Shawano co. , the neighbors baited all the time till the ban, now my cousin says she sees deer all day / any time of day you are likely to see a deer on their feet. I hope they ban it in Oneida and surrounding counties or not at all. I am sure baiters will migrate to counties that still allow bait and make my personal situation worse. Again, the DNR wants a bait ban and use CWD as an excuse . They can't ban bait without the legislator. Deer hunting up north has gotten so bad we need to try something. I can go in the woods and not see a deer if there is bait in the woods. I dont believe it's casie of humans in the woods that slows them down. I used to bait and have deer feeding before I even got back up the tree. Sometimes they just stand there and watch, bobbing their heads and come right into the bait while they saw me go up the tree. This also happened back in the woods, not just by the cabin. Just a matter of time, when bait is banned though, then only slob hunter will bait. Oh well. If we ban bait it has to be a stiff fine. A 1,000 dollars and advertise it to show it is serious. We could make up for it by bringing the season up a week. I know noone likes this idea except me. Oh well.
12/5/15 @ 1:24 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06
There is going to be a deer feeding and baiting ban in Forest, Oneida and Vilas Counties starting Jan. 2016 as per the WI DNR letter I seen on another post this morning. That should change the way most guys hunt up there including our group. I think it may be for the good!!
12/5/15 @ 12:57 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
I find this thread rather ironic... Quite some time ago I submitted a post favoring the elimination of commercial deer farming operations in Wisconsin. Oh, the criticism I got! Taking away jobs, sources of income for families, blah, blah, blah... Seems like the tune changes when the deer shooters ( not to be confused with hunters) stand to lose out on their sacred little "right". Ban commercial deer farming AND baiting. Sportsman and our deer herd will be better off in the long run for it.
12/5/15 @ 11:22 AM
walleyeralph
User since 6/20/01
Best thing that can happen is to ban baiting state wide.DNR should do it before cwd shows up.Our group of 4 old guys and mid30 guy, don't bait and hunt the big woods up north.We hunt miles apart so we are on our own deer.stoped shooting does in our area long ago, as we seen the heard going down as I never seen the guy from Madison in our woods to know that we had to many does.got to admit this was the the first year mine and my sons deer had no corn in there stomachs.Alot of people have left the area we hunt because the deer heard was down,which is good.Its coming back quick as other guys we talked to are not shooting does either( when u could).Rember this, two years from now when some guy from madison says u have to many does in your area and u decide to shoot one don't blame him that u army seeing deer.The less bait piles in the woods the more day time movement.Goodluck,Ralph
12/4/15 @ 5:37 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
Matter of fact we have. The Shell Lake doe that tested positive in 2012 was the only deer ever tested as CWD positive anywhere near that area. All the counties surrounding this positive test are still under the ban. The area has been tested frequently since, and no positive tests have occurred. Since a game farm falls under the 3/2 year sunsetting legislation, the game farm will repeatedly test positive and the ban will stick even though a wild deer never tests positive. I can't say I agree with this.
12/4/15 @ 4:54 PM
BeerTownFyreman
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
The USDA (feds) are the ones who recognize Deer, Elk, and other Cervids as legal animals for agricultural purposes. They do give local DNR officials some management abilities, but they are basically for monitoring and vet checking mainly when animals are moved. If it's going to be changed, the change has to come from D.C. at the USDA. And yes, if an order to eliminate the herd is given, the farmer will be financially reimbursed for their animals lost. There are enough states now dealing with this that you would think they could collectively get an ear in D.C. to address this, but as has been said before... follow the money. The farm lobby is a tough nut to crack. I just hope that they don't drag their feet like the did by here in Fairchild. In the months they were looking for money and working through the process, more deer escaped. There was no waiting when it came to eliminating bird flu flocks this last spring, but for some reason it's OK to let a CWD infected deer herd fester for months while they look for money. And yes JC... as I understand it, the baiting/feeding ban is for 3 years unless a new positive shows in either wild or captive herds. I don't think we have had an area yet that went the 3 years "clean" to know what happens then... if it's removed or what.
12/4/15 @ 3:33 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12
Here is the kicker, we can pay for this several times. One the impact to those who chose to bait, and second it is possible the USDA will compensate the owner for destroyed animals. Also there is one case for sure I can find where the WDNR purchased the property.
12/4/15 @ 3:26 PM
All Quacked Up
All Quacked Up
User since 9/27/04
I bow and gun hunt in Oneida county, near Lake Tomahawk, and I saw more dear this year than in the past 3 years combined. The only problem..they were almost all does. I wish the no bow doe was removed but for good reason it's still in place. Converse to Igor my group saw a LOT of half year and 1.5 year old deer; lots of nubby bucks and good amount of small ones, all on public land. It seems that the no bow doe restriction is working,and the herd is actually improving. That said, now with CWD on the books, this changes things. That and the stalled wolf hunt. I LOVE this area and LOVE driving the 4+ hours to get there; it will sadden me if it becomes like the U.P. I still hope the good ole days will come back up there.. -Quacked
12/4/15 @ 1:41 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
I looked up the sunsetting of baiting regulations proposed legislation, and from what I can tell it hasn't yet passed. Even if it does, the wording in this legislation proposal clearly states that ANY test (game farm or natural deer) counts. So, even if NO positive test ever results in the natural population, every year a CWD positive animal tests out on this preserve all the surrounding counties are screwed. From what I can tell (and assuming the game preserve is infected), unless the game farm shuts down and all the deer are destroyed on the property, Oneida, Vilas and Forest Counties baiting regulations will be at the mercy of this private game farm. Real neat.
12/4/15 @ 1:22 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
Yep, Three Lakes Preserve. $20,000 for a booner buck should equal payments towards a double fence.
Displaying 31 to 45 of 62 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE