LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Thoughts on using Buckshot and dogs for deer in Wisconsin?

1/9/14 @ 1:21 PM
INITIAL POST
ShootCatchEat
ShootCatchEat
User since 11/4/11
Not really one issue but since we can use everything else to harvest Whitetails whats the harm in allowing buckshot? What does everyone else think?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 162 posts
5/19/14 @ 2:55 PM
mukluk fisherman
User since 1/7/10
i think there would be more wounded animals out there to later die from infection or whatever. IMO
4/24/14 @ 10:11 AM
meestalubba
User since 1/5/10
wolf tracks look like a dog track but stretched out the long way.
4/23/14 @ 8:32 PM
Steve White
User since 3/17/04
What Nolte said X2
4/23/14 @ 4:29 PM
Nolte
User since 1/12/06
Dog. Looks like it's not overly active and probably not kept in a concrete floored kennel.
4/23/14 @ 2:14 PM
Summers Off
User since 5/9/06
Ok track experts...Big Dog or Wolf?
4/23/14 @ 10:36 AM
meestalubba
User since 1/5/10
the wolf draw is a little different from bear, in that only half the tags are given by preference points. the other half everyone gets a chance. so its possible you could have lots of points and still not get a tag. also possible to get a tag every year, if you are very lucky.
4/22/14 @ 4:30 PM
Nolte
User since 1/12/06
Summers Off, It is all dependent on what zone you're in for bear tags. B takes the longest and then A & D are next. Zone C seems to take the least amount of time. As for cats, I have no idea. The tag allotment is so messed up you will probably be passing on those points to your kid after you die. The split bobcat season is a complete joke. It kills me to see how one of the greatest hunting experiences allowed in WI has been ruined. You should be in the running for a wolf tag. Since it's a new hunt everyone who hasn't got one should be in draw for a tag. If you do pull one, do your best to fill it. I like seeing wolf tags punched. Smile
4/22/14 @ 8:52 AM
Steve White
User since 3/17/04
Here ya go!
4/22/14 @ 7:15 AM
Steve White
User since 3/17/04
PnY, that's a bit funny but true. Takes years of experience though. Even then it tears trucks up. I got the dents, dings, etc on my trucks to prove it. Last year on way to a tree. Told my guest not many people will drive a truck down this trail. He said, not many with drive a 4 wheeler on this trail. Still wondering how on the 2nd to last day of season last year. I snapped a 1 ton leaf spring taking out tire on opposite side of truck. Wasn't even airborne. I got a new truck this year, and really debating if I will use it. Even though it is an official Ford Bear Hunter's Edition. Will have to post a pic later as proof. You will love it!!
4/22/14 @ 5:44 AM
Dirty Jim
User since 2/25/14
I know in zone d it's 7-8 points for bear. Bobcats who knows I have 9 points and still no tag. You should draw a wolf tag this year!
4/21/14 @ 10:08 PM
Summers Off
User since 5/9/06
I have 5 pts for bear and bobcat and 3 pts for wolf. Have a buddy who drew his second bear tag in the last 6 years (he drew on 5 pts this year and 8 pts the first time). So is it safe to say 6-7 pts gets you a kill tag for bear? Bobcat? Wolf?
4/21/14 @ 9:35 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12
You have a good point Lookin. I've talked to a couple of guys with the same opinion although I believe owl's and or hawks have a bigger impact on rabbits. If you start applying for a tag today, the world will be a much different place when you receive one....kinda scary..
4/21/14 @ 9:21 PM
Summers Off
User since 5/9/06
Awesome post. I agree whole heartedly. Good luck on that bear hunt. How many preference points does it usually take (on average) to draw a kill tag for bear? Wolf? Bobcat?
4/21/14 @ 2:46 PM
lookn
lookn' 4 PnY
User since 7/15/05
I really like the hound guys who do things correctly but absolutely hate the ones who don't. I think most land owners have a similar opinion. Land owners, people who lease, people with sole permission all hate trespassers regardless of what they are doing. If the land is privately owned you need permission, posted or not. You hound guys are feeling some of the wrath the groups previously mentioned are dishing out, not because you are at fault but some turds who happen to run dogs, mushroom pickers, shed hunters, and trespassing hunters are ruining it for all of us. Besides the trespassing aspect, I wish the coyote and fox guys would stay the heck out of my lease because now the rabbit population is out of whack and destroying the tree nursery. We had a couple resident coyotes, a fox, and a very good population of deer (trail camera pictures)until the hound guys ran through twice without permission. Now it looks like a rabbit farm. Some think they are doing us a service but again as a "land owner" we should still have the right to make that decision. You hound guys doing things right are a dedicated crazy bunch of guys. I have never been on two wheels that many times in a pick-up truck before nor have I seen a guy talk on a radio, hold his coffee, put in a chaw, and drive his truck through a 6 ft. wide logging road doing 65, all at the same time either. Adrenaline rush like no other, I loved it. I loved how you rewarded your dogs after the kill as well. Just please start cracking down on your own kind so the sport stays viable. I might need one of you this fall, Zone A! Wink
4/20/14 @ 7:12 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12
The comments weren't meant to be lie's or a spin off. I believe they were meant to open others minds. This is a me,me,me world we live in, there are many laws that effect more than one style of hunting, you just have to look past your nose to see them.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 162 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE