LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Thoughts on using Buckshot and dogs for deer in Wisconsin?

1/9/14 @ 1:21 PM
INITIAL POST
ShootCatchEat
ShootCatchEat
User since 11/4/11
Not really one issue but since we can use everything else to harvest Whitetails whats the harm in allowing buckshot? What does everyone else think?
Displaying 61 to 75 of 162 posts
4/10/14 @ 8:44 AM
buckmaster69
buckmaster69
User since 1/24/11
870 …. your not over it.
4/10/14 @ 8:27 AM
ole 870
User since 6/27/01
Do you really think that a dog running a bear or coyote through your property has any more affect on the deer than an actual pack of coyotes or wolves running through your property specifically targeting deer? How are you keeping all those darn trespassing coyotes off your property, can't they read the signs? LOL. As for me, I'm over it, I don't hound hunt nor do I own property, but I see some people have certainly lost touch.
4/10/14 @ 8:09 AM
buckmaster69
buckmaster69
User since 1/24/11
870…. people don't buy land….do food plots…plant apple trees… hang stands before July to keep their area scent free. OH ……the dogs don't pee in the woods and all that noise the night before won't bother the deer. Do you guys really believe that BULL. Private property is private property. Get over it!!! Wondering Their is no compromise !!!!
4/10/14 @ 7:33 AM
ole 870
User since 6/27/01
Oh yeah, make sure you call the cops and insist your neighbors get trespassing tickets too the next time their dog runs through your yard. I guess pick and choose your battles, but I'd prefer to get along with my neighbors and show a little tolerance. There's ways to work out indifferences without coming off as a complete Jacka$$.
4/10/14 @ 6:02 AM
buckmaster69
buckmaster69
User since 1/24/11
Summers Off + 1 Wink
4/10/14 @ 5:59 AM
Summers Off
User since 5/9/06
Landowners who think it is possible to control a hound hot on the trail of a bear, coyote or even a rabbit for that matter just simply are out of touch with reality. Really. Perhaps it is the hound hunters are out of touch with reality. Who else gets to trespass without penalty? If you can't control your hounds then maybe this isn't a proper hunting method. Maybe the entire hound hunting idea needs to be reviewed. It is this arrogant attitude that is going to drive private land owners to vote against all types of hound hunting.
4/9/14 @ 3:10 PM
LUVtheOTDRS
LUVtheOTDRS
User since 11/15/06
Great post ole 870! I am a lifelong hound hunter, and couldn't agree with your statement any more. As far as this thread goes.... Hunting deer with buckshot and dogs?? C'mon man!!!
4/9/14 @ 12:34 PM
ole 870
User since 6/27/01
A can easily see it from both sides, but as long as the practice of hound hunting is a legal method allowed for hunting, you are never going to put an end to this argument/debate, or whatever you want to call it. Landowners who think it is possible to control a hound hot on the trail of a bear, coyote or even a rabbit for that matter just simply are out of touch with reality. And hunters who initiate chases within close proximity of private lands are at best knowingly taking a huge risk with most likely the outcome being that their hounds will cross onto private land at some point. Would it go a long way to improve the image of hound hunters if they used a little more discretion before unleashing their dogs, yes, but in my opinion, most don't care. Could land owners also improve their image by being a little more realistic and understand that a hound in pursuit knows no boundaries? Yes. I see opportunities for improvement on both fronts.
4/9/14 @ 10:01 AM
lookn
lookn' 4 PnY
User since 7/15/05
respect your right to raise, train and hunt with your hounds. Heck, I openly support you. But please do not make me choose between your hobby and mine. You will lose every time. I respect your dog and your hobby and ask that you do the same with my property. That was well said! Steve I don't envy your position in trying to uphold the sport. As stated above I support your sport if done ethically. I lease a small chunk of woods near my house, about 40 acres. It is surrounded by ag fields and one of very few wood lots in the area. Lots of coyote hunters in Outagamie county that previously had access to any land they wished to hunt. We have posted every square inch of the border, and spoke with most of the coyote boys around that they needed to ask permission. 2 weeks ago they sent their dogs through the woods and when asked about it said that just the dogs went through not one human touched foot in there. I was assured that the deer and turkeys we have been watching for months were not bothered, which is horse crap. So their new approach will be to release the dogs on the neighboring ag field and let the dogs run through the woods. It is that mentality that kills me and the reputation of hound hunters. I wonder if they ever though that maybe I would like to sneak out there on a cold winter morning with my daughter and try to call a coyote or fox in. Land owners have zero rights, calling the police is useless because in most cases the dogs or guys racing around in trucks are gone by the time they get there. If you confront them during the chase you are fed some crap about how they are trying to get their dogs off your property, or facing 25 guys who are offend you don't think they are saving the world for you and now want to fight. The only option guys like this leave is to start taking out dogs. We all know how ugly that situation would go and it is somethingI would hate to do. I know it is not you Steve but it is frustrating and happens everywhere. I have been on hound hunts and they are very exciting and great watch the dogs work. It is a shame that some of the humans act the way they do. Hunting on private land is about the last remaining chance for someone to actually hunt an animal moving because it wants to and not because it is being pushed by humans or dogs. Opening up a deer season for dogs would be a nightmare for both sides.
4/9/14 @ 8:25 AM
buckmaster69
buckmaster69
User since 1/24/11
Steve …..not against hound hunting and I am sure you do everything right. I allow hound for coyotes after deer season. BUT its not a few bad apples that trespass!!!!! Cool
4/9/14 @ 7:57 AM
Steve White
User since 3/17/04
It's obvious I fully agree with private lands. Its really not worth the hassle when your trying to hunt, and have fun. I do believe there are far more misconceptions that cause problems. Ones that regardless of how much hard proof can be provided. Will not be overcome. Regardless of the sky being blue some will argue its pink till they die. Just the way it is. Which is why I pointed out the new tech. I have had very few issues myself, as i try hard to avoid them. The worst one I have had to deal with. Is one of those I can hear the dogs so you are trespassing deals. When in reality the dogs where never within 1/2 of the 30 acre piece surrounded by about 30sq miles of public land. Like has been said many times its just a few bad apples. The misconceptions from them carry even further. Always better to punish an entire group for the actions of a few though.
4/8/14 @ 6:13 PM
Summers Off
User since 5/9/06
IMO, this issue is going to do more to HURT hound hunting than help it. I am not a hound hunter, but if I were I would VOTE NO. First, I allow one guy to trap coons on my land and two other groups to run and or call yotes after deer season. I have always been supportive of all types of hunting because I see a limit of one type of hunting as an open door to a limit other types of hunting. However, trespassing is trespassing. In SD, if I hunt pheasants with my labs on private property, I get fined. If I let my dogs run pheasants on private property, I get fined. Now I am sure this isn't going to sit well with the hound hunters, but here goes....A $5000-$10000 dog is a FRACTION of the amount that I have invested for my land. I have HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars invested in my land. I respect your right to raise, train and hunt with your hounds. Heck, I openly support you. But please do not make me choose between your hobby and mine. You will lose every time. I respect your dog and your hobby and ask that you do the same with my property.
4/8/14 @ 2:51 PM
buckmaster69
buckmaster69
User since 1/24/11
Private property is private property !!!! Keep your dogs off!!! Cool
4/8/14 @ 8:19 AM
Steve White
User since 3/17/04
This certainly has become an interesting thread!!! Not much I can really add to it that hasn't been said before. It doesn't much matter anywhere you go. Small tracts, big tracts, tracts you can walk miles without finding a road. There is always going to be someone complaining about something. Some hear a dog and they think trespasser and all my game is gone forever. It does not even matter the game that is pursued with any type of dog. Someone is always going to have a problem with it. Of course the real problem lies with just a handful of bad apples. Who folks like me diligently work to correct any problems. Yes, most of these dogs carry a hefty price tag. I just sold an 8yr old for $5K!!!! Have turned down $10k for other dogs of mine. Very rare mine will cross into private lands without permission, but it would be costly for a shooting. In the end it dont matter what a guy like me tells ya. It's the few bad apples that will be in your mind. The bogus effects of dogs are in the thoughts of some. This past fall I coon hunted one piece every night. Had a small P&Y 8 working a the trail I like to walk. The dog and I both marked a few of them scrapes a few times. He never left the area. How is that possible? Some folks remind of the old timers that would shoot you with rock salt if you crossed their property line. My butt got peppered as a kid back in the 80's. Some today would like to shoot kids retrieving a baseball if they could. To me it's about the same line of thinking. I don't want it here, shoot it. Good thing is today's tech is getting pretty amazing. My tracking system. Now not only uses GPS on the collars, along with E-collar abilities. My mapping now not only includes topo, and satellite. But all landowner information as well. Full plat book information right in my gps. Every step the dog takes is recorded. So that will further reduce the possibility of any unwanted property crossings. On the other hand will also make it real clear that dog barking was not on lands without permission! Of course not all are going to have this tech. Still regardless or what you pursue, or how you pursue. We are all still in this together. If we cannot work together to find common ground to stand on. It wont really matter as we wont have any ground left to stand on!!
4/4/14 @ 1:09 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12
You are missing the point!! You as a dog owner cant stop your dogs from trespassing and you know it!!!!!!! Its not your land! you didnt pay for it! you dont work it! you and your dogs have ZERO rite to be on it period!! You know they will go where they arent aloud but want to stand behind the banner of oh sorry you know dogs they just kinda run. Sorry about that. But you and your ilk will be the first ones to cry and whine when your dog is trespassing and gets in my trap on my land. Dude get a clue. Wow maybe I should teach my dog to hunt mice and when hes running thru your yard all day every day I can just say sorry brah but its my rite to hunt mice with my dog but hes a dog and cant read no trespassing signs so its all good. Wow the level of arrogance is freaking amazing. I own dogs I can do what I want because I own dogs and if my dogs trespass or attack other pets or livestock its ok cuz im a houndsmen. Im done with this.
Displaying 61 to 75 of 162 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE