SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

3 walleye limit

3/9/24 @ 4:06 PM
INITIAL POST
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13

Journal sentinel reports 3 fish limit on inland lakes now.   They really don't want us to eat fish.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 92 posts
4/14/24 @ 3:35 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Fin, the bay is 5
4/14/24 @ 1:12 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
Very scientific survey and generalization....NOT.
4/14/24 @ 11:44 AM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13
Was in Marrinette the last 3 days.  The amount of eyeballs seen at night with the headlamp was unreal.  That fisheree isn't hurting one bit.  We could keep 3 now instead of the one and it wouldn't put a dent in the population.  All fish seen in the shallows were over 20 inches.   Each area needs to be managed differently.  5 fish outta green bay during the regular season would be just fine for that body of water.
4/13/24 @ 9:50 AM
CCLUND
User since 5/29/11
Big Mac good luck with that. Once there is an  abundance of walleyes the spearing quota will go up.
4/9/24 @ 7:55 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02
I'm NOT going to get into the deep political debate about the DNR, spearing, etc.
 All I can say is, our fishing group on The Big Chip, we have already seen an increase of walleyes we are catching. It really feels good releasing the under-sized eyes! We will enjoy catching them in a few years!
Big Mac 
4/9/24 @ 8:59 AM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Crickets at the Winnebago co. meeting 
4/6/24 @ 2:56 PM
Carp King
User since 8/7/01
I have always wondered what it would be like if we had catch and release only for a few years in Wisconsin?

I haven't kept a fish for myself in a couple years I gave away a few bass maybe three in the last couple years to people who were leaving for the day.  I almost think we have too many bass around where I live anyways 
4/3/24 @ 1:35 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Fin, No I meant what I said, was told about the new rule late last year. Was announced in a January meeting. Plenty of time to make the deadline.
4/3/24 @ 9:22 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11
I think you meant to say April 2025, not 2024.  WCC resolutions are due in late February. DNR published new rule changes in early March. Therefore, there's no way to propose a change to a new rule within the same year.  Coincidence? Probably not. 
4/2/24 @ 6:39 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Can’t wait for 4/8/24 to see all the proposed solutions 
4/2/24 @ 3:21 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11
In Minnesota the possession limit is also equal to the daily bag limit. It seems like an excellent idea. It would eliminate the ability of guides to send their clients home with double the daily limit. I'm all for it!
4/2/24 @ 1:46 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
Nowhere did I allude that an "apples to apples" comparison was in order...  What I AM pointing out is that the Canadians are taking a great resource and enacting measures to make sure it stays that way. Proactive management!
Look at Manitoba​​​:  2 lines for ice fishing,  1 line for open water. Barbless hooks. Daily and possession limit on walleyes of 4 fish. Slot size 14"-21". No trophy keeps. Think that will keep a great fishery great? YES.  I can only imagine some of the Lake Linker whining if half these regulations were enacted!
4/2/24 @ 1:29 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Agree.

But yet some on this thread think it's apples to apples to compare Green Bay with Lake Erie or the Peshtigo, Oconto, or Menominee rivers with the Maumee River in Ohio!    
4/2/24 @ 1:24 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
"The Canadian provinces are so far ahead of WI in sustainable fisheries management its laughable."

Although I agree, it is laughable that you think it is an apples to apples comparison.  I can be pretty critical of the DNR, but when you look at the access and number of fisherman they do a pretty decent job.   Because I totally agree you can't have basically unlimited access to a finite resource and expect that it could be managed the same way North West Ontario manages their walleye.   

4/2/24 @ 11:06 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
"The Canadian provinces are so far ahead of WI in sustainable fisheries management its laughable."

It is.  However, ​for the most part Canadian lakes don't have boat ramp overflow parking either.  Too many fishermen in WI even though we have a lot of lakes.  
Displaying 16 to 30 of 92 posts

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE