SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Front Facing Sonar

1/19/24 @ 7:33 AM
INITIAL POST
Wright6
User since 2/5/14

Here’s a great discussion relating FFS to Muskie fishing and the sustainability of the resource if it continues the direction we’re going.  

https://youtu.be/9B4JOt3QWfk?si=JrplbE52jkVddr_T">https://youtu.be/9B4JOt3QWfk?si=JrplbE52jkVddr_T

I’m not sure how to post a live link, but it would be posted on Pete Maina’s YouTube channel.
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
1/19/24 @ 6:41 PM
fishs
User since 2/17/04
Ordered mine today....LVS 34 ice bundle plus....2900.00. includes shipping and taxes.
1/19/24 @ 5:10 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
I don't own any front facing sonar.  By choice.
Also?  I'm open to getting it at some point and time.
I don't like the application for musky fishing at all.  I don't want to be glued to a TV screen when I'm out there casting and working baits.
But, I can see how it could be deadly when looking at walleye and smallie spots. 

Also?  I've used it before with a guide.  Bass fishing.  If you continue to hit the bass with that sonar, it swims away fast.  They are used to it.  As I've seen it work, once you mark fish, you gotta turn it away, fast or they are gone.
1/19/24 @ 4:02 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
PRO MEMBER User since 1/12/14
It’s not going away. Those that have it will continue to use it and love it. Those that don’t have it will hate FFS. I can see fish getting conditioned. With the Muskie having such a sensitive lateral line one would think they could feel it. They really click under the water.
1/19/24 @ 3:58 PM
Wright6
User since 2/5/14
More stocking would be great, but I’m not sure it’s in the future.  The stamp would be an awesome implementation.  I feel like that would be a real easy pot for the the DNR to dig into for other things.
1/19/24 @ 3:10 PM
Bodhi77
Bodhi77
User since 1/9/21
Did this topic actually just get to the Lake Link discussions? If so I find that quite comical as literally on every other fishing related site I've seen this discussion has been going on for a LONG time ​ Based on what I've seen other places should be a lively debate before the thread gets nuked. Carry on.
1/19/24 @ 1:26 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
I would love to try it! Just me I guess.
1/19/24 @ 12:21 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07
In my opinion, at some point it is no longer fishing, it's all about catching.Guess my idea of fishing is not about just the catch it's the pure enjoyment and the friendships shared that day.
Catching fish is fun but it doesn't make my day on the water a good day.
1/19/24 @ 12:17 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
It's kindda tough to get the genie back into the bottle, right?
Forward facing sonar is here.  It also is not cheap.
I'm not really worried about it, concerning muskies.  I know plenty of guys who still can't even use side imaging.
I get tournaments banning the technology.  If you have enough units, you can find open water fish, pinpoint them and use the technology to snag them in the face.

But outside of the technology, the real issue facing musky fishing in our state is stocking.  Or lack thereof.  I almost wish that we would institute a musky stamp, like a trout stamp and raise more money for musky stocking efforts.   
1/19/24 @ 11:49 AM
Wright6
User since 2/5/14
I do think there is a bit more to it than they don’t want people catching “their” fish.  Both guys are genuinely concerned for the resource of Muskies.  What I gathered is that they’re concerned that today’s stocking efforts won’t keep up with mortality rates that happen simply because more fish are being handled, ripped up from cool water into warm water, swim bladder issues from targeting deep fish that otherwise are basically untouchable, and unethical angling such as snagging.  Bottom line is that they among many others don’t feel that the small waters of Northern Wisconsin can sustain.  Many of the floaters that we’ve been seeing are 20-25 year old fish.  They’re not replaceable.
1/19/24 @ 9:30 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
Wow, I've never heard a bigger pile of dung in my life and I only made it through a few minutes!

"people with menial ability to find fish are going to find fish easier" Pete Mania

Oh no, somebody might catch your fish! I hope their sponsors drop them.
1/19/24 @ 8:51 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B4JOt3QWfk

use the link icon, 3rd icon from the right
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE