LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Forward Facing Sonar results, issues....etc.

6/27/24 @ 9:43 AM
INITIAL POST
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Anyone want to share success stories, or failures concerning this technology?

I have it and I've used it 4 times so far.  Twice for walleyes, twice for bass.  Pretty incredible technology if you ask me.  Maybe I've put more in the boat because of it, but really it has just reinforced what I already knew.  Fish were there, presentation was good, they just had to want to eat.  

The biggest benefit I've seen so far is that you can eliminate "dead" water pretty quickly.  I do that now with side imaging, so again, this just reinforces it.

I haven't used it to sharp shoot any fish that are suspended just yet.  But that time may be coming soon.  

So my results are this...worth the money?  I'd say it is not.  Is it "cool" with what you can see?  Absolutely.  It's pretty nice to see a grouping of fish, tell your partner (or wife) where to cast then watch them react to and many times, eat, the bait.

I still think the absolute best application for this thing is ice fishing.  

I totally get the debate concerning "ethics" and this technology as it comes to depleting a resource.  For this user, I kept the same amount of walleyes this year as I did last year.  5.  I just caught a few more.  And I never keep bass.

Just curious to hear results from other folks.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
6/29/24 @ 9:17 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01
I like panoptix for ice fishing, but I don't use it as much in the boat.  To me, "sharp shooting" is kinda like bed fishing for bass. It's not my thing.

And, I stare at screens all day for work.  I really need a break from it.

I don't care how anyone else fishes.  Do whatever you like.  Meat pigs are meat pigs regardless of what technology they have.  And there's always going to be meat pigs.
6/29/24 @ 7:16 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20
It's a very nice piece of technology for fishing and if you can afford it go for it. I just think for me that's way to expensive plus have only seen guys using them ice fishing and the guys using them just seam to be drilling more holes with the same results as everyone else. For me the whole point is to hunt down and find and catch fish and with ffs it kinda takes the sport out of it. Like I said I totally support this technology but its just not for me the technology in fishing is just gonna keep advancing.
6/28/24 @ 11:17 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
It's interesting....FFS and suspended musky fishing.  Basin fishing.
I went to a muskie site, posted that I have FFS (and that it was donated to my boat) and received some heat for it.
I don't doubt that Minnesota Lakes have been hit hard with sharp shooters.  Some guides, some fisherman.  Driving around looking for a blip on the screen, then casting does not "do it" for me.

I took a buddy out this week on a local lake.  Fished weed edges next to drop offs.  He casted in, I casted out.  No FFS.  Did run side imaging.  Saw some baitfish on MSI, cast out a bulldog, caught a 26 inch pike.  Not sure that I wasn't "sharpshooting", just with MSI.  But, for our trip?  Zero musky follows.  One pike.  One musky (my buddy got it).  34 incher that came in from heavy weeds and ate a bucktail on the first turn.

I'll stand by this....I don't fish Minnesota, so I'm not qualified to say if FFS has ruined the fishing.  I do know my local lakes.  I've not seen many guys out there using FFS for the past few years.  Couple years ago, everyone had a unit and they were trying to get on panfish.  But musky fishing was still musky fishing.  Fish your spots, fish them different and see what they show you.

I am going to sharp shoot, probably soon.  I'll be that guy driving around looking for suspended fish, where I feel they like to sit, because I catch them trolling and jigging in certain areas at certain times.  My guess is that FFS will reinforce what I already know.  But who knows, I could be surprised.  But I'll post here about what I find out.
6/27/24 @ 9:53 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08
I have friends that have these units and they have been a tremendous help locating panfish, walleyes, etc.  It has been a great tool for ice fishing.  These friends do not overharvest and are very respectful of the resource. 

Personally, I do have an issue with those using them to locate and "sharpshoot" suspended fish in the open basin (specifically muskies).  My issue is not necessarily on the effectiveness, but more that it just cheapens the whole experience of fishing and just gives a "sad/disrespectful" look to the northwoods when you observe it.  Also, it just comes across as lazy (IMHO). Based on my handle, you can guess how I fish, and this is my 40th season doing what I do.  The last 2 seasons I have observed several guides driving around the basins with their FFS in the water trying to locate a fish (musky).  When they see one, they will have their clients take 3-4 casts at it.  If nothing happens they move on.  From an effectiveness standpoint I have not observed much success from these particular guides. On the 3 days I have observed this being done in 2024, I have never seen them catch a musky or even hook/lose a musky, while my son and I have hooked up with 9 muskies.  The loud pinging of the FFS transducer and the guides running their motors while they are utilizing the tool negatively conditions fish in my opinion....which I am ok with.  I personally don't like to have my sonar on when I am fishing and if at all possible, will use the wind to move my boat (no trolling motor hum).  Total stealth and I have a catch rate that no one I know of has equaled.  But again, I have been doing what I do for 40 seasons and am not new to the "basin" and I know what needs to be done based on time of year, weather conditions, moon phases, water temp, etc.  And...I like to be surprised when the strike comes.  That's what gets your adrenaline going.    
6/27/24 @ 3:01 PM
fishnfanatic
User since 12/8/07
Great comments.  I purchased last year and it has helped, but is not an automatic homerun every time you are out fishing.  You still have to know where to look for the fish.  I have not used chasing suspended fish yet either.  I mostly fish WI River or Flowages where there isn't much of a "basin bite".  Its a great tool to pinpoint fish once you locate them and really ups the percentage of time your bait is in front of them.  Also seeing them react is a game changer.  I now have the confidence to stay in a spot and keep switching baits / colors until something starts working.  Great TOOL for the arsenal.  I'm hopeful that at the price point to get in to FFS, those that purchase it are serious fishermen/women and really think about conservation.  It is easy to exploit panfish once they are suspended.  I hope the DNR changes the panfish limits to 10 statewide.  Use that as the standard and if there are lakes that need more fish harvested, then make those the exception.

6/27/24 @ 2:53 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
I have used it a few times...once where I was in charge of it, and it was effective......for me the best thing was seeing how the fish were reacting, which allowed me to adjust my retrieve to match what the fish wanted......I was fishing a deep crank, and watched fish either ignore the bait, or just follow, then I started pausing, and quickly noticed on this day, that the longer the pause, the more interest I got....ended up fishing that crank really slow, pausing for very long times, and ended up catching quite a few bass i wouldn't have otherwise caught,   IMO if you can afford it, and are already a pretty good stick, its totally worth it.
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Talon
Minn Kota Talon
Only Talon has up to 15' of anchoring, letting you pick the perfect hold for any condition. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Talon Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Ceymar A Spinng Reel
Ceymar A Spinng Reel
Okuma's Ceymar A spinning reels offer superior performance, with a multi-disc, oiled felt drag system. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Ceymar A Spinng Reel

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE