SEARCH
MORE
Catfish Fishing

small river springtime cats

5/4/24 @ 9:27 AM
INITIAL POST
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18

I am not a dedicated catfisherman. It's usually been something I've done in summertime. Chicken livers in the deeper holes is almost a guarantee to steady action - as long as i move when fishing slows.. I release all but the one or two smallest cats I catch 'cuz I no longer "stock the freezer".

But I got out a couple/tree times this spring including a couple hours yesterday. I caught one bullhead. I caught stuff casting a jig but that doesn't count. Wasn't cats....Chicken livers in the deepest holes in a stretch of river inaccessible to shore fishermen. 

I know - earlier in the season "rancid minnows" works well but...holes? Flats,runs,eddies?...I never used commercial stinkbait but is it necessary in colder water?

Anyone wanna share?

Thanks.

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
5/16/24 @ 9:10 PM
Veteran2
User since 9/8/20
Wiscoarborist,
Once the pleasure boaters take over the local lakes, I like to fish the rivers for cats and anything else that bites a dead stick presentation. My preferred bait in the colder water 
is cut suckers. Once the water warms into the 70's, I go to chicken livers, but I will still use fresh cut bait for larger channels and flatheads. 
On the rivers I fish, I have not found a big difference in fishing the deeper holes versus shallower structure. But, the deeper holes are only 10' to 13' 
5/7/24 @ 11:20 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
I use Triple S almost exclusively. I've tried cut bait and other stuff, but I always catch cats faster on stink bait. It works for me when the water temp is 50 or higher. I concentrate on snags in 2-6 fow in the Spring. I always do well.
5/7/24 @ 9:33 AM
-T Fish-
User since 2/12/23
I found some cats in the slower water with worms on the bottom on this trip. I'll echo what BIGG400 said. I think the water was warmer and calmer in the spot where I found them. ​On this trip, I was just searching for anything that would bite a worm on the bottom, and it just so ​happened to be channel catfish.

5/4/24 @ 9:49 PM
BIGG400
BIGG400
User since 12/23/12
I'm a stubborn year-round dip bait guy and it's been a very good late winter and spring for me so far. I'm fishing pools 13 & 14 on the Mississippi River and the Rock River.  I'm catching my fish shallow - 6 feet or less.  Areas that have reduced current - below snags or points. Muddy banks that are exposed to the sun are a plus Anything that produces slightly warmer water are cat magnets. I get most of my fish this time of the of the year in the middle and late afternoon. Hope this helps.
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
TRENDING DISCUSSIONS

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE