MORE
Boats & Motors

Family fishing/ski boat

6/6/24 @ 5:54 AM
INITIAL POST
icefitchin
icefitchin
User since 12/13/03

I'm in the market for a family boat. Something to take the kids fishing and tubing on weekends.

I need to stay under $30k.

I've seen a few Crestliner fish hawks and Tracker V175's on marketplace. I'm not familiar with either. They all have similar Merc outboards on the back. Anyone care to chime in on either brand? Pros/cons?

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
6/17/24 @ 1:35 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Boats stand for Bring Out Another Thousand, so instead of buying new I'd look for used. Motors last almost forever and the boat usually doesn't age that much either, other than maybe the carpetting and replacing the livewell or bilge pump.  For under 30K, you could get yourself a pretty nice Lund boat or any of the others (but I like Lunds, even though I own an Alumacraft.  My father's Lund blows my boat away on big water, even though they're the same length).
6/17/24 @ 10:02 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
It probably depends how tall you are.  I'm able to lean over the side decently to grab rods or set lines.  It looks like from the specs its listed to be a little deeper than the ​Pro-V.

I don't have a great picture but this is one that shows the sides of the boat and the track system I mounted to it for trolling.  It also shows the sport top tucked away.  On my older boat the top prevented me from opening the livewell because it laid across the back so I tended to remove it from the boat most of the time.
Family fishing/ski boat photo by lakeshiner
6/17/24 @ 9:22 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
How "deep" is the crossover, meaning are the sides a decent height? My previous boat was a Starcraft Super Sport with high sides and I always felt secure with no risk of going overboard. Current boat is a Lund ProV and I always feel I could fall right out as the sides are about knee height. Want my next boat to fall more under the high sides category with the ride of the ProV as opposed to the Starcraft. 
6/17/24 @ 7:45 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I have a Lund Crossover 1875 but to find one for $30k you'd have to buy used.  The only difference between the 1775 and the 1875 is that the extra length is between the back seats and the jump seats.  You get more leg room with the 1875.  When I was looking, it was really the only crossover that checked all my boxes.  My only gripe, which is minor, is that I had to glue wood in the gunnel so that I could mount tracks to it properly.  Was surprised it didn't come with wood already.  It does come with a track system, but I wanted a more serious one for salmon trolling.  Their track system would work fine for walleye trolling though.

It has a ton of in-floor storage because its supposed to be for skis or tube type storage, but I can also fit 5 or 6 tackle boxes in there, small coolers, etc.  I even used the ski pole hole as a net holder for some time as it was nice and centered at the back of the boat.  Lots of in-floor rod storage too.

I have cushions for the front that snap in, but you can remove them for regular fishing.  We only put them in for days we are heading to a beach.  You can get cushions for the back section too but I never felt the need. 

They make a nice sport top for it as well that tucks away when not in use.  That I will say trumps just about any other boat I've seen with one, usually they lay over the top or something annoying.  This one has its own section to tuck it away.  We use that on beach days or if its raining while fishing.  Can still fish the back of the boat while staying dry.

6/8/24 @ 8:15 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
As mentioned, figure out how it's primarily going to be used. More skiing/tubing or more fishing? I'd also consider where you're likely to use it the most. Are you mainly going to be on "smaller" bodies of water (smaller than Winnebago and Green Bay)? Or will you be on big water most of the time? Regardless, high sides in my opinion are really important, especially with kids. I've been on boats where I've worried about falling off as an adult. Can't imagine having kids on a boat where it's literally only a step or stumble that can send you in versus having to actually get up over the side of the boat. I'll assume all fish n ski boats are full windshield, but I definitely recommend one. 
Three years ago I put my previous boat up for sale, my family's original boat from the early 80s, a 1976 Starcraft Super Sport. Replaced with my dad's '92 Lund ProV and while I enjoy having an actual "fishing" boat, I really, really miss my old boat due to the layout and full windshield. Wife and daughter agree so it looks like I need to find a different boat if I ever want them to go with again lol
6/7/24 @ 6:41 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
With fish and skis, they typically slant fish or slant ski!  

The boats you're looking at slant more towards fish.  I have a fish and ski that slants more toward ski / entertainment.

It fishes ok, but is better for cruising the lake or a sunset cruise. The seats move around, and turn upside down, and you can make the front of the boat a fishing platform, and the trolling motor goes on and off in less than a minute.

There isn't a right answer (chocolate vs vanilla), but think about what's more important to you, better at fishing, or better at cruising with the fam...

Family fishing/ski boat photo by Plmlk
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE