SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Alumacraft Competitor 165

6/19/24 @ 6:54 AM
INITIAL POST
Hooky
User since 12/17/01

Trying to get my new boat set up with a better prop. It has a 90 four stroke Merc on it, Wondering what hole motor should be mounted in and what size prop, Thanks

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
6/21/24 @ 2:52 PM
Highthrust
PRO MEMBER User since 1/21/13
If it's the standard 90 you’ll probably run a 14 pitch. If it's a command thrust a 15 pitch. 
6/20/24 @ 1:03 PM
mopesrus
User since 4/8/13
Mercury Marine has a Propeller selector feature on their home page. Easy to use and helpful. 
​https://www.mercurymarine.com/us/en/propellers/mercury-propeller-selector
As far as mounting holes for the outboard, I'd contact Alumacraft directly or stop in at a dealership to see how a similar boat is set up.

6/20/24 @ 7:53 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
Hooky - Maybe motor height wasn't the porpoising issue then if yours is all the way down, because mine was for sure higher up.  I remember seeing a significant gap between the transom and where the motor would rest if all the way down. 
6/20/24 @ 5:27 AM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11
I was looking to upgrade my gutless 50hp 4 stroke to a 60hp 4 stroke on my tracker boat. Then I read a thread on a hydrofoil. At this point, what do have to lose. I stopped by Cabela's and bought a 300 model which fit my motor. Took it out last weekend and what a game changer. I pulled two kid's on a tube and never knew they were back there. It pop's right out of the water, up on plane and accelerates to 6000 rpm where it should be. That is with the 4 blade prop. Going to try the old 3 blade next. This just saved me several thousand dollars. Totally happy now. The motor had the recommended prop on a sticker on the lower unit. 
6/19/24 @ 10:39 AM
Hooky
User since 12/17/01
I am currently running at 4600 rpms which is 1300 below max. I have a four blade 17 Merc prop and the motor is mounted in the lowest hole (deepest in the water). It also porposies easily when trimmed a little bit. Great hole shot, but would like closer to max rpms which is 5-6000.
6/19/24 @ 9:24 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
Are you changing it due to how it currently rides?  I had the same boat for 3 years and it never was right at full throttle.  I had to have the trim all the way down for it to ride smooth, if I trimmed up even a little it would start to porpoise on me. The dealer acted like they never heard of it before and they sold a lot of those boats, so either I got the special boat or people don't know how boats are supposed to handle.  I was debating having them mount the motor differently but I never got around to it before I sold it.  I did think it was the mounting position though, it looked high to me.
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
TRENDING DISCUSSIONS

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Ceymar A Spinng Reel
Ceymar A Spinng Reel
Okuma's Ceymar A spinning reels offer superior performance, with a multi-disc, oiled felt drag system. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Ceymar A Spinng Reel

MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Talon
Minn Kota Talon
Only Talon has up to 15' of anchoring, letting you pick the perfect hold for any condition. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Talon Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE