MORE
Boats & Motors

A lucky find!!!

6/18/24 @ 5:55 PM
INITIAL POST
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I was getting ready for our family vacation on the Wolf River, so I was giving our boat a quick once over to ensure there was nothing that needed attention.

The first thing I checked was the trailer lights, and of course they didn't work. No big deal, got everything rewired and working again, however while I was rewiring it I noticed what I thought was surface rust on the trailer.

I thought no big deal, just hit it with a wire wheel, some sandpaper, primer, and then paint. I thought while I was at it, I'd also look at the bottom of the trailer, and sand / paint that as well.  When I looked at the bottom, I couldn't believe my eyes, completely rusted away, You could literally put a finger right through it: The structural integrity wasn't there, it was like Swiss cheese!

Looked on the other side / bottom of the trailer and found more of the same.  So crazy, you couldn't see it unless you were on your back, underneath the trailer.  The top had 0 rust, and the sides had just a bit. 

Started to price new trailers, and for a decent one the price was around 8k - wanted no part of that lol!

Took it to a welder instead, and he said no problem, give me two days and you can pick it up. 

He got 1/2 of the trailer done today!  Pretty happy with what he has done so far.

Also, very grateful I noticed and the trailer didn't come apart on the highway at 70 mph - could have ended badly.

I still can't hardly believe how bad the degradation was, and it wasn't obvious, and not visible unless you were on your back underneath. 

It really looked like just a bit of surface rust.  

A lucky find!!! photo by Plmlk
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
6/22/24 @ 7:03 PM
Get.the.net
User since 12/30/13
Yes trailer prices are nuts…!like everything else, need a small equipment trailer, but refuse to pay the crazy prices….
6/22/24 @ 1:19 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
Threw a quick coat of paint on with a rattle can.

Trailer should be good to go for 20 more years :)

6/22/24 @ 8:17 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
She's a 2005, but she's always been well cared for.

The welder shared with me that he's seen this quite a few times.  

Here is a pic that shows the trailer a bit better. The part that surprised me is that there was very little rust on the top (and side) of the trailer.  

It wasn't a rust bucket by any means, it still looked pretty sharp - just a bit of surface stuff. However the bottom side was completely rusted out to the point that your finger would go right through - it wasn't obvious at all - dumb luck the trailer lights didn't work and I stumbled on it...

Going to get some paint today and hit the new steel.
6/21/24 @ 9:36 PM
Musky99
User since 8/8/11
How old is trailer?
6/19/24 @ 6:41 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
100 percent Snake!!!
6/19/24 @ 5:27 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
Glad it’s fixed and didn’t turn into an incident. Almost looks like it was holding water and couldnt drain out. 
6/19/24 @ 4:38 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
800 Benjamins later and trailer is good to go!

Thought that was a reasonable price for what had to be done!
6/18/24 @ 10:12 PM
Bodhi77
Bodhi77
User since 1/9/21
Yikes! Good thing you came across it and were able to get it fixed. I had a Nitro about 20 years ago where there was rust under a cross beam right in the center and a crack actually came up from it almost all the way through to the top of the beam. Like you I thankfully saw it and was able to find a guy to weld it up for a reasonable price.
6/18/24 @ 9:15 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
I have a 5x10 cargo trailer 10 years old, maybe 5000 miles, never used in winter.  Rusting out way too quick.  

Cheap Chinese steel? 

I see now a jet manufacturer, maybe its Boeing took delivery and built jets with counterfeit titanium. 

So yeah there is some raw material scamming going on
6/18/24 @ 7:05 PM
ktowne
ktowne
PRO MEMBER User since 7/20/03
We brought a Jayco trailer down to a campground in Rockport, Texas right on the Gulf coast. 
That's what the support beams in the under carriage looked like in just three years. 
Salt water in the air eats them up. 
6/18/24 @ 6:49 PM
Golf Guy
PRO MEMBER User since 7/22/12
Bret
Found the same thing on my old boat. 
With a tube frame you can’t tell just how bad it was. 
Did the same took to a local welding shop and for $150 he replaced the 3 bad spots.  Did have to have a marina lift the boat off the trailer so he could fix the cross members. That was another $300 but much cheaper that a new trailer. 
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
TRENDING DISCUSSIONS

OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Ceymar A Spinng Reel
Ceymar A Spinng Reel
Okuma's Ceymar A spinning reels offer superior performance, with a multi-disc, oiled felt drag system. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Ceymar A Spinng Reel

MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Talon
Minn Kota Talon
Only Talon has up to 15' of anchoring, letting you pick the perfect hold for any condition. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Talon Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE