SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Someone sitting in my deer stand.

2/14/24 @ 10:35 AM
INITIAL POST
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

This happened to me nearly 20 years ago.  I was wondering how you all would have handled it.

I have a 40 of hunting property up in Douglas Co (close to 2 hours north of where I live).  On one side of me is more private land, on the other is papermill land (open to public).  I put up a ladderstand on papermill land for bow season because the enclosed stands on our land are not conducive to drawing a bow, plus the deer like to hang in the pines and scrub during the warmer weather.

So, one Saturday afternoon sit I was successful on a buck.  It was warmer, so spent the next day skinning/quartering/cutting.  Following weekend I went back up for the day to retrieve my stand.

Hiked up on the ridge and found someone sitting in it, hunting.  I mentioned that he was sitting in my stand, he said "This is public property, I can sit in it if I want legally."  I told him "Yes, you're correct LEGALLY but ethically is another question, and I just drove 2 hours to take it down because I got my deer last weekend and I'm not waiting around."

What would you have done?

Displaying 61 to 67 of 67 posts
2/14/24 @ 3:10 PM
FishChip
User since 2/2/17
Sounds like hunter harassment TS2. In your Walmart parking lot analogy - was your car left abandoned for several weeks? ​

2/14/24 @ 2:37 PM
Turkeyslayer2
User since 8/28/11
lovestofishnhunt  You're absolutely wrong.  It is not my spot to be claimed by me alone with no one else allowed to hunt there but it is my personal property that if the person sitting in it refuses to let me have then it's theft on their part.  If you leave your car unlocked at Walmart and come back out to find someone sitting in it would you calmly wait until they decided to leave?  I don't think you would.  I would have got my phone out and called the warden or sheriff right there or at least caused enough of a disturbance to force his hand into leaving because he wasn't going to see any deer with me "scouting" the area.  I'm curious as to what happened in this case......
2/14/24 @ 1:13 PM
lovestofishnhunt
PRO MEMBER User since 6/13/06
What I have a bigger problem with is the fact that you think him sitting in a stand on public land is unethical.  Just because you have a stand on public land, do you expect that spot to then be claimed only by you?  If your answer is yes, I would say it is you who is being unethical.
2/14/24 @ 1:09 PM
Flasch24
Flasch24
User since 1/8/18
I would have politely asked him if he would mind moving so I could remove it.  If he were to say no, I would be going back to my truck and sitting there until close and then go back in and remove it.
2/14/24 @ 11:37 AM
Rattle em up
User since 4/19/21
I wouldn't have an issue as long as the stand didn't get damaged. Its public.
2/14/24 @ 11:32 AM
FishChip
User since 2/2/17
Probably leave with my tail between my legs embarrassed. Sit at the local pub till dark then go back and get the stand. Quite honestly that's what I would do.
Displaying 61 to 67 of 67 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE