DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Jerk move.

11/28/17 @ 6:09 AM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

Quit crying. If it was the DNR you deserved it, If it was someone trying to hunt leagally in that same area You deserved it. That simple. Stay within the law and things like this wouldn't happen.

Displaying 76 to 90 of 123 posts
11/28/17 @ 9:14 PM
Fisher123
User since 7/6/06

This dude is a troll, he is just going to post dumb crap to get a rise out of people. This situation probably didn't happen, hence why he didnt ever chime in after his initial post.

Also, the comment on Gillespies daughter was a very low thing to say, even if he was just trolling for reactions.

11/28/17 @ 8:32 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

Much like the insulting craw did on Gillespie's daughter a couple weeks ago, I don't think this thread went the way he thought it would. Lol

11/28/17 @ 4:08 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I missed that part initially when I read it.  I just saw the federal land part and thought if it was National Forest then it would have been legal yet in most cases.  Didn't realize it was acknowledged as wrong to start with, that changes my answer significantly.

11/28/17 @ 3:08 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

This is like saying "I know the speed limit is 70mph, but I thought I was perfectly fine driving 85mph. Why did that jerk cop have to do his job and write me a ticket?"

The law is the law.  I put up hang-ons on my land I hunt and it takes maybe 3 minutes to strap up the 20 foot climbing sticks and maybe 5 minutes for the stand and the rest of the stuff I use.  10 minutes if I run into issues.  

11/28/17 @ 9:54 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

When you say federal land, was it National Forest?  Pretty sure the rules for that say tree stands must be removed by the end of the season, which is the final day of archery in Jan.  In that case you'd have been perfectly legal.  I hunt in Price County and they even have this on their county website:

"On the Chequamegon Nicolet National Forest tree stands may be put up one week before the beginning of the season, but they must be taken down within a week of the end of the season. Stands may be left up overnight and it is not required to have your DNR Customer ID # on it."

Here is an article from earlier this year on it as well.

https://www.wpr.org/dnr-oks-leaving-tree-stands-overnight-public-land

Unless they were in an area that is set to be logged, maybe that would be an issue.  I saw areas flagged for logging by me now, they are doing more of that recently.  In that case they would remove them yet.

11/28/17 @ 9:52 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

The DNR took out multiple permanent stands about 4 years ago on Outagamie public land...on opening day. All I know is there was a ladder stand set up on the main trail leading into the section of public i hunted and a couple hang on stands along a couple other trails that were not there on my way out. 

They should consider themselves lucky to know the fate of their stuff instead of just thinking it was stolen. 

11/28/17 @ 9:17 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

Are you serious?  I am glad it happened, and happened right before season.  I am so sick of guys hanging not only hang on stands on public land before rifle season, but have seen multiple instances of guys bringing in ladder stands on public land.  This isn't County land where some counties allow it, this is MFL-O land owned by timber companies, and they generally do not give permission to do so.  Follow the rules or don't cry when a stand gets taken, vandalized, or a fine is incurred.  The rule is the stand must be taken out every night.  Guys use their stands to monopolize spots on public all the time.  That is why it is not legal and is BS to do so.  For guys like me that carry climbing stands in a mile, it makes us furious to see where a guy hauled a ladder stand illegally with an ATV and leave it in for the season illegally.  

I have also been witness to multiple occasions of guys nailing boards in trees and building miniature tree houses on public land.  A couple of times I have had grouse land on these stands that I have missed with my shotgun.  I always seem to miss the grouse low.

11/28/17 @ 8:58 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Break the law, suffer the consequences. What don't these 2 dudes not understand about that? It's really too bad they screwed up their own hunts with a d**k move.

Entitlement at it's finest.

11/28/17 @ 7:56 AM
pew.hunter
User since 9/18/02

Tell them to call the DNR and explain the situation. Ask them if they removed their illegal stands. Then take whatever punishment they receive. Illegal activity is classified as poaching.

11/28/17 @ 7:25 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Agree 100% with Pikes Eyes. The d**k move was by the guys putting up stands illegally.

Displaying 76 to 90 of 123 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE