SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Deer Overpopulation

2/13/17 @ 4:56 PM
INITIAL POST
bwankowski
User since 5/5/14

Interesting story I saw on Fox 6 on Friday 2/10/17.

http://fox6now.com/2017/02/10/wisconsins-deer-overpopulation-harms-soil-plant-growth/

Displaying 46 to 60 of 127 posts
2/15/17 @ 2:58 PM
BeerTownFyreman
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

So, according to this press release:

"The study was supported by funds from the Friends of Peninsula State Park, the UW–Madison Department of Botany, and the McIntire-Stennis Program."

While it lists the Dept. of Botany, I'd venture a large guess that their financial contribution was minimal.  This was a research project for the authors PhD.  Excluding the use of facilities and technology (rooms and computers), I would say the brunt was from private sources.

Either way, to get mad now about this is too little, too late.  The time to get mad and upset was a year ago, when the moves were made to all but eliminate the Science Services Division of our DNR.  With them all but gone, these types of research projects and committee positions are what we will be left with.  "Private industry" research.  And our DNR was out of control?!  

Can you actually believe some sportsmen in Wisconsin supported that!? 

2/15/17 @ 12:29 PM
BeerTownFyreman

FNB, what I posted was not about that UW study.  It was another issue all together, but related.  You better read it to see what your favorite Senator is up to while he has you looking at Bobcats.

2/15/17 @ 11:17 AM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

I can see the study already. A 2 acre enclosure with 30 deer in it for 20 years with a 30x30 fenced area for study inside it. Balence of the 2 acres looks like an enclosed cow pasture with trees browsed to 8 feet. 

2/15/17 @ 10:32 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

At least they use the word 'correlation'.  If I remember anything from my college Stats class it is that correlation does not imply causation.

Or that person just had no idea what they were typing.  Probably that

2/14/17 @ 9:24 AM
BeerTownFyreman

Yeah, and just last week all CDAC chairs were given a formal copy of this paper, from the Governors Council on Forestry.

If you'll notice, there are legislators on the committee.  Some here were even wondering who was standing in one legislator's way on some "deer management" issues. 

For the sportsmen indeed.

My 1st thought is if this all isn't laying the groundwork to push out the CDAC's next year when the 3 year cycle is up.  It wasn't well received when implemented by some.  Despite the drawbacks, I can't see it being better having decisions made in Madison again.

2/14/17 @ 12:15 AM
drewster
User since 7/6/09

Dudes, you totally missed it - 1110 this morning already on, where else, the CWD thread, because everything goes back to CWD indeed! 

2/13/17 @ 8:36 PM
JigDipper
JigDipper
User since 12/19/14

First thought that came my mind as well olswampdog.

2/13/17 @ 8:25 PM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

Can't wait to see what FNB does with this one.....lol.

Displaying 46 to 60 of 127 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE